• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil 1... should I have restored?

32 posts in this topic

Should i have this book restored? I'm very happy to have as is, because I love DD and this book. But if I had it restored what would the cond possible be brought up to and would it get the overstreet price for that grade?

Any opinions greatly appreciated... thanks in advance.

79_3.JPG

df_3.JPG

I asked a similar question recently. Basically whether people would restore a 1.0 Amazing Fantasy, and I came to the conclusion that, if that's what I had to work w/ I would. If you really like the book, I say go for it.

I was really wondering, what would the book be worth if say it could be brought up to a VF. Lets say, theoretically, that a copy of this book would be worth 850.00 in 7.0, unrestored. What would a restored copy in 7.0 be worth? I love the book but naturally, I don't want to invest more then it's worth or may be made to be worth.

The Overstreet value of this book is:

2.0 ---- 236.00

4.0 ---- 472.00

6.0 ---- 708.00

8.0 ---- 2065.00

If she can restore it to VF that would make the 500.00 investment well worth it (even if it's really worth half the OS 8.0 value of 2065.00). If she can only bring it up to 6.0 then I run into a bit of a problem becaus it may be worth substatially lower that the OS 6.0 value of 708.00.

I guess my real question here is: What percentage of Overstreet value can you expect to get on a restored Millstone book like this Daredevil 1?

My next problem after determining that would be to find out for sure what she might bring the book up to: 6.0 or 8.0.

I looked on GPA Analysis for you. And a Moderate Professionally restored 7.5 went for around $510. That being said, restoration isn't my area and I don't know if yours would count as moderate restoration or extensive (extensive would be my guess).

But going up to 8.0, there were a few amateur restored books going for between $428 - $1200 (just 3 issues, a $428, $598, and $1200). So again, the first 2 prices wouldn't get you your money back for the resto between the shipping and the CGC'ing too. And just from looking on these prices on GPA analysis, the restored ones fluctuate more than the non-restored ones.....seems like kind of a roll of the dice to me.

My advice would be, if you want to restore it for sentimental reasons, go for it. But if you're looking to make money on it, for the time being, I wouldn't go there.....

I like Daredevil myself, but don't collect it, but from being on these boards, I have heard Daredevil prices are down as of late, so take that for what's its worth. Good if you're a buyer, bad if you're a seller I guess confused-smiley-013.gif

if it costs $500 to restore, you won't get your money back

especially when you factor in grading fees.

DD1 is not a rare book in the 5.0-7.0 range, which is the max this book will attain without EP restoration.

Yeah... i may wait awhile. I checked Heritage Auctions, and looks as if historically, this book sold well in restored.

like Daredevil myself, but don't collect it, but from being on these boards, I have heard Daredevil prices are down as of late, so take that for what's its worth. Good if you're a buyer, bad if you're a seller I guess

I think this may be the oposite... if prices are a bit lower now, doesn't that may it a buyers market... buy low, sell high.

I think I'll wait a bit. I want to restore it because I like the book alot, but want to make the right finacial decision as well. foreheadslap.gif

the lower the grade is the lower the impact the PLOD has .

a 5.0 PLOD gets hit much less in value terms than a 9.0 PLOD

if you want to restore it because the book has some personal significance to you, then it's the right thing to do, if you are doing it for financial reasons I would strongly recommend you don't.

the costs would be $500+shipping for the restoration as quoted

then probably $50 in cgc fees at least including shipping

so figuring in ebay fees + whatever you paid for the book and required profit you are probably going to need to clear 650 or so selling it

650 would buy you a blue label 5.5 without much problem

Should i have this book restored? I'm very happy to have as is, because I love DD and this book. But if I had it restored what would the cond possible be brought up to and would it get the overstreet price for that grade?

Any opinions greatly appreciated... thanks in advance.

Hi friend,

I think the only way it would make sense to get your book fully restored is if it were an otherwise very-high-grade book with that piece out of the cover. But IMO, the book (though still not bad-looking) has way too many issues (spine splitting, tears, color loss, etc) to ever reach apparent VF without massive, extensive color touch and sealing. And as the sales figures other folks cited show, there just isn't a high demand for a restored DD 1 to begin with to make it worthwhile for you, as you could buy a much nicer unrestored midgrade for the same price.

If you want to keep the book for yourself, you could send it to a restorer just to have minimal sealing done, to archivally secure the piece and seal the spine split. My guess is that would run you in the $100-$125 range, so it would still be overkill on a book that guides around $200 in 2.0. Quite honestly, and some folks here may disagree, if it were my book I would probably just do it myself by applying careful, discreet archival tape to seal the inside covers. I do this often with Fair condition books that would make no sense to restore professionally, and while the grades don't improve, the books look much nicer and are structurally sound to read and enjoy.

Regards,

Jon

It's tough because when you have a book like this you want it to be all it could be. Point Five, is there a reliable percentage for the value of a restored book one could expect to get. i mean a percentage of Overstreet.

Example:

Unrestored daredevil= 1000.00

Extensivly restored daredevil= ?

Nope, there's no "formula" per se for restored books...depends on the demand for the book, the scarcity, and the amount of restoration. If this were Amazing Fantasy #15 and not DD #1, the figures might be very different, as there's a lot more demand for the book to begin with.

But to go with your hypothetical, a copy of DD #1 extensively restored to look like a $1000 copy would probably sell for (just my guess) between $200-$300...in other words, somewhere between the unrestored G and VG prices.

If you had all the pieces and the book might truly look VF or better when done, then I'd still say no at the $500 price tag. You're still going to have to add a piece on the back cover and that's a killer.

That's the perfect book for the amature restorer to work "up to". You won't lose any value by restoring it yourself as the value in it's current state is minimal. Now if you were like me and had a pretty decent DD#1 missing a page, then pairing the two might be a good idea...................... 1340424-DD1Missingnstorypage.JPG1340424-DD1back.JPG

1340424-DD1back.JPG.5c51c02924c1407c9b1fa084118339ab.JPG

The extent of my restoration skills is trying to find a coverless copy to marry an interior page. I did it once about 20 years ago on a Sgt. Fury book in the teens. I did purchase a beater XMEN #2 recently (still to arrive) to see about putting a page in a decent copy I have missing a page. All with full disclosure if I ever sell them.

I think I'll wait a bit. I want to restore it because I like the book alot, but want to make the right finacial decision as well. foreheadslap.gif

I think you are right. If you can enjoy the book the way it is now, then keep the book and enjoy it. The restoration can always be done at a future date.

If you spend too much on restoration, you will be reminded of this every time you look at the book and the enjoyment is gone.

Yeah, don't restore a DD 1. It's WAY too common for any expensive restoration to be done. For $650 ($500 worth of resto + $150 current value) you could get a 6.0 unrestored copy. I'd be shocked if your copy went from a 1.0 to a 6.0 with only $500 worth of restoration...

Honestly, a 6.0 restored DD 1 would probably fetch $250-300 (a good 50%+ loss on your investment).

As others have said, sell your copy and use the $500 you would have used for resto and invest it in a nicer copy.

Note: DD 1 is so common that it often sells for much less than guide. By 1964 Marvel had realized significant popularity with its other major titles. This was the first issue introducing a new spotlighted hero. A LOT were printed. In fact, nearly 800 copies have already been graded by CGC.