• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago: What did you buy?

73 posts in this topic

I got the impression that attendance was down and commerce was down.

You got that right. Attendance was down and the foot traffic by out booth was poor.

How do you do? Did your fist big con go ok for you? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

It went ok for me, but I didn't move as many consignment books as I wanted to. I sold a lot more of my own books that expected though. confused-smiley-013.gif

Sorry to hear that you didn't do well.

My sales were very strong.

There was a lot of foot traffic but there were times when lots of bodies went by but they weren't comic collectors.

Wizard is basically taking the same business model path as San Diego. Focus on media, films, actor and gaming. Now with Wizard's owner being involved in the Ultimate fighting arena you will see your dealer booth money subsidizing even more non--comic advertising.

And to make matters worse these "Corporate Promoters" have no faces. Complain about Dealer booth costs in San Diego and the best you will get is a shrug. Complain about the lack of advertising or the foot traffic at the Wizard shows and you will get the "help" basically shaking their head or coming up with something to make you feel better.

If Wizard really wants to make their shows comic book successful they should hire a real promoter (Gary Colabuono) or hire somebody who has the people skills (Definitely not me lol) to make people/customers/dealers feel good being at the show. And if you are a promoter reading this please do a honest evaluation of yourself as a promoter. I really don't want to hear that you are a dealer wanting to "do it right". Doing it right means covering all parts of the market, not just catering to what you sell.

I'm seeing more and more promoters getting earfuls from dealers complaining about their locations, lack of advertising, lack of sales and lack of Comic buying customers. It can't always be the dealers fault or us not having the right inventory, right prices etc. I can provide suggestions but if your lead person doesn't care about comics I basically get a blank stare.

Sorry to hear that you didn't do well.

I actually did pretty well in terms of profit, I just didn't move as many consignment books as I would have liked. Those I HAVE to sell, so now I have to scan and list them on here and eBay. My own stuff I can just toss back in my collection. All my books were in the same boxes, but most of what sold was stuff I presonally owned. confused-smiley-013.gif

My sales were very strong.

Glad to hear it. I heard a lot of dealers complaining the first few days, but things seem to have ended up ok for most of them.

There was a lot of foot traffic but there were times when lots of bodies went by but they weren't comic collectors.

Saturday was especially busy, but like you I got the impression that a LOT of them weren't interested in comics.

Wizard is basically taking the same business model path as San Diego. Focus on media, films, actor and gaming. Now with Wizard's owner being involved in the Ultimate fighting arena you will see your dealer booth money subsidizing even more non--comic advertising.

Last year I wouldn't have agreed with you, but after this past show it looks like you are right. What a shame.

And Dennis the Menace #1

1344163-ebay4029.jpg

Was this the one from Jon Hauser's boxes? He had GREAT books.

I thought you were going to buy that one. I remember looking at it with you. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bought more Fiction Houses instead. Also passed on that US Marines 3. Sweet book! thumbsup2.gif

And Dennis the Menace #1

1344163-ebay4029.jpg

Was this the one from Jon Hauser's boxes? He had GREAT books.

I thought you were going to buy that one. I remember looking at it with you. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bought more Fiction Houses instead. Also passed on that US Marines 3. Sweet book! thumbsup2.gif

The US Marines 3 found a good home. grin.gif

Millie the Model 2. mad.gif I found a Top Notch Laugh 35 before I've found a Millie 2. I found a New Adventure 26 before a Millie 2. Argh.

I think Gary said there was a Millie 2 in that collection. Unfortunately, someone got to it before I saw the books mad.gif

I got a few Timely/Atlas teen humor books from Moondog grin.gif

1344145-DSC00132.JPG

Holy Crappola!! You didn't show off half of those at the show. The Jeanie's and Margie's look pretty sharp from this distance. Man, you were busy.