• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago: What did you buy?

73 posts in this topic

Prepare to be underwhelmed and blamed.

First up - BobPfef - I've been hanging around too much with Bob and picked up this "The Bunny Cover" at the show. (gossip.gif Bob Beehrbom had a Fairy Tale Parade # 1 for $123 - 20%, but not nearly as nice as yours) -

1341917-FC103.jpg

Awww, how could you bwame Bob for the cutsey-wutesy fuzzy wuzzy bunny and duck cover? poke2.gif

Looks like you were able to find books fitting your non-mainstream tastes. Did you have fun at the Con?

Nice books everybody.(Scrooge, I love that SS book)

I will add this AAF #11 to the mix that I bought from Northcoast Comics. I did not go to Chicago intending to buy this title. It just called out to me. It also happened to fall well within my buying strategy, which consisted of "have no strategy".

Ze-

aaf2.jpg

Looks like you were able to find books fitting your non-mainstream tastes. Did you have fun at the Con?

Non-mainstream tastes? confused.gif You mean not everyone hunts for romance comics? insane.gif

I scored 11 books for my Month collection which is great. It only took 2 long days of looking at 1,000's of comics. I'm glad it paid off. Here's another I got from Moondog -

1342083-DownWithCrime3s.jpg

1342083-DownWithCrime3s.jpg.774b5c8444241a49c94e1fdf94b74720.jpg

Nice books everybody.(Scrooge, I love that SS book)

I will add this AAF #11 to the mix that I bought from Northcoast Comics. I did not go to Chicago intending to buy this title. It just called out to me. It also happened to fall well within my buying strategy, which consisted of "have no strategy".

Ze-

aaf2.jpg

You bought the wrong one. It's 15 you need, silly! makepoint.gif

Non-mainstream tastes? confused.gif You mean not everyone hunts for romance comics? insane.gif

No, I meant not everyone hunts for comics with fuzzy wuzzy bears on the covers.

A few more Chicago bought Books

DC Special #10

Bought from Mr. 40% Off Bruno (Canadian Dealer?)

dcspecial10.jpg

A longtime favorite cover of mine, From Beyond The Unknown #8

Bought from Kevin, Captain Jacks Comics

64pager.jpg

Let's see some more of those Chicago books.

Ze-

DC Special #10

That's Bruno Mazzaferro. He always has nice, raw late silver/early bronze books whenever I see him.

DC Special #10

That's Bruno Mazzaferro. He always has nice, raw late silver/early bronze books whenever I see him.

Yes,both he and his wife were very nice. Noted restoration right on the sticker of his books even if it was easy to spot. Thought that was stand up.

I also got a pretty decent Casper #9, 40% off an already decent sticker price.(My first ever casper book, as an adult anyways)

casper.jpg

Bruno mentioned he does not do many shows. I could tell, his long boxes were crammed so full Anne and I had to pull out chunks of books just to make some "look around" room. It was almost to the point the books could possibly get damaged because it was so hard to browse through them.

I have heard of getting the books out for people to see, but yikes..he had them ALL out.

Ze-

BTW, awesome books Andy

One thing that surprised me was how plentiful common silver age comics were at that convention. Maybe I am just getting used to higher prices but I saw FF102 and FF108 with the same dealer, in nice condition for a dollar or two each (I don't remember now). I resisted the tempation and didn't buy them as an investment in spite of the interest that will be revived when the "Lost Kirby Comic" comes out.

I got the impression that attendance was down and commerce was down. It could be that this sort of convention can't be expected to grow every year and will have fluctuations in attendance. It could also be that more and more people are doing their business on Ebay and through Heritage. I saw little traffic in the "wall books". I didn't expect to buy any myself. The Spider-man #4 that I purchased was from a guy who was selling his collection. He was about 10 years my senior and accompanied by a man about 10 years my junior.

Other than that there were a lot of very low priced books with one dealer even going down to 10c a book on the last day. I didn't expect any of that. One friend suggested to me that Chicago is not a good place to find really cheap books because the dealers tables are so expensive. The dealers bring their more expensive wears to offset their costs.

One person there suggested that the low end collectable books (like FF's 102 and 108) were at a low price because some dealers are switching over to primarily CGC comics and preparing to work with only high end stuff. Whatever the case, the market didn't look terribly healthy.

Well, that's Ron Kasman reporting from Chicago.