• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone tell me why the first appearance of the JL ........

33 posts in this topic

alright, i hear what you’re all saying.

and i can understand random collectors out there

wanting to collect x-men more then jla based on

popularity.

but how can overstreet witch is supposed to be the for

most authority on comics rank b&b #28 12 on the list

for silver age comics 5 below x-men #1 and 4 below

lois lanes first book?

One things for sure,B&B 28 and JLA 1 can be had in mid grade for a decent deal if one is patient.I too,have wondered why that is.The GL #1 is another that surprises me on occassion.And it's not like they're junk.The early DC silver is all very well done.And their line is as popular as ever.I suppose that there is less material now that is truly undervalued,although there do continue to be some surprises.GL # 8 in high grade is one.That JLA 16 on www.PEDIGREECOMICS.COM looks interesting in 9.2 @ $ 900.Sometimes this hobby of ours simply DEFIES logic.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

p.s. the GL # 2 on www.heritagecomics.com looks interesting in 9.0

I don't know that much about mid-grade prices, but I think you'd be surprised at how high prices have gotten on NM early SA DCs, and they actually compare favorably to equivalent Marvels. For instance, a 9.4 copy of Flash #125 sold for $4182 at the last Heritage Signature auction. Because Flash started with #105, this is effectively Flash #20 (and actually Flash #24 if you include the four Showcase appearances). I don't think anyone considers it to be any sort of key.

I don't have access to GPA, but I bet that $4182, for a non-key mid-run SA DC issue, compares pretty favorably to the prices achieved for a 9.4 FF #20 (which is actually a minor key) or #24, a 9.4 ASM #20 (which is a minor key) or #24, a 9.4 JIM #103 (which is also a minor key) or #107, or a 9.4 X-Men #20 or #24.

Not just 9.4s, Flash 113, 117, and 139 are going nuts now in 8.0 or better (at least 2x guide). I don't see as much going on for GL or JLA though, so it may just be Flash. confused-smiley-013.gif

I might have had something to do with that.... devil.gif

893whatthe.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

What did you take it up to?

Didn't another JLA 1 9.2 go for something like $27k in one of the Heritage Auctions?

Yes it did! grin.gif At the time I thought that some buyers had simply lost their minds on the JLA 1 and the 9.2 Flash 105 that sold in that same auction. I later realized that they were simply willing to pay up for the arbitrage opportunity, because both books were subsequently resubbed and re-graded as 9.4s, and then sold to JP for $100K total. (Who then resold them at a substantial loss on Heritage a year later. foreheadslap.gif)

alright, i hear what you’re all saying.

and i can understand random collectors out there

wanting to collect x-men more then jla based on

popularity.

lois lanes first book?

I think the main reason is that there simply aren't enough transactions with HG copies of B&B #28 (and other early DC SA keys) for Overstreet to accurately gauge the market, so they prefer to be conservative and show steady increases year after year.

The fact is that the prices currently being paid for 9.4 early DC SA are to a large extent distorted by their extreme scarcity. On the other hand, if you look at X-Men #1, there are currently 3 9.4s, 1 9.6 and 2 9.8s, and yet a 9.4 copy will still command over $40K, reflecting the greater depth of demand. If there were an equal number of B&B #28s with these grades, a 9.4 copy wouldn't come CLOSE to $40K. There simply isn't enough demand. So in that sense I agree with Overstreet that B&B #28 should have a lower OS value than X-Men #1.

Having said that, I certainly agree with you that B&B #28 having a lower OS valuation than Showcase #9 (and for that matter, Flash #105) is a joke. Of course, I'm a bit biased on this issue. wink.gif

One things for sure,B&B 28 and JLA 1 can be had in mid grade for a decent deal if one is patient.I too,have wondered why that is.The GL #1 is another that surprises me on occassion.And it's not like they're junk.The early DC silver is all very well done.And their line is as popular as ever.I suppose that there is less material now that is truly undervalued,although there do continue to be some surprises.GL # 8 in high grade is one.That JLA 16 on www.PEDIGREECOMICS.COM looks interesting in 9.2 @ $ 900.Sometimes this hobby of ours simply DEFIES logic.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

p.s. the GL # 2 on www.heritagecomics.com looks interesting in 9.0

I don't know that much about mid-grade prices, but I think you'd be surprised at how high prices have gotten on NM early SA DCs, and they actually compare favorably to equivalent Marvels. For instance, a 9.4 copy of Flash #125 sold for $4182 at the last Heritage Signature auction. Because Flash started with #105, this is effectively Flash #20 (and actually Flash #24 if you include the four Showcase appearances). I don't think anyone considers it to be any sort of key.

I don't have access to GPA, but I bet that $4182, for a non-key mid-run SA DC issue, compares pretty favorably to the prices achieved for a 9.4 FF #20 (which is actually a minor key) or #24, a 9.4 ASM #20 (which is a minor key) or #24, a 9.4 JIM #103 (which is also a minor key) or #107, or a 9.4 X-Men #20 or #24.

Not just 9.4s, Flash 113, 117, and 139 are going nuts now in 8.0 or better (at least 2x guide). I don't see as much going on for GL or JLA though, so it may just be Flash. confused-smiley-013.gif

Very true. Flash certainly rules the roost right now, and investment grade copies have been commanding multiples of Guide for some time now. As internet bidding on Heritage comes to an end, but even before the floor auction on Aug 10, a bunch of the early Flashes in 9.0 and 9.2 are well over 2X Guide, and the 9.6 PC Flash 131 is already at $1912 (over 9X Guide)!

GLs have also been very strong. A 9.4 GL 10 went for over 11X Guide in 2004 or 2005 on Heritage, and a bunch of HG early GLs all went for multiples of Guide in the May 2006 Heritage auction, highlighted by a 4X Guide price paid for a 9.0 GL #8 (and after SD, I now know who won that book cool.gif).

JLAs I agree with you have probably had the weakest prices, probably because it's the DC title with the most HG copies available. Of course, "weakest" is a relative term, since the premiums to Guide that most HG early JLAs go for are something that most SA Marvels can only dream of.

With all the interest in silver age flash comics, I thought I would deviate from my typical marvel SA collecting. I just finished reading the TPB Archive Vol. 1 (Showcase 4 etc..). I admit that the it was the start of silver age superheroes, but the writing is awful. Why the interest in collecting early Flash? When you compare them to early FF or ASM, the writing appears written for ten year olds.

I certainly won't be running out to spend big dollars on a Flash 105!

Ever actually read the first 10 issues of FF? Interesting that the heroes actual argue but the writing is pretty bad. Especially issue 5 where Dr Doom sends them through a worm hole to fight Blackbeard(?) priate. I was greatly disappointed given the historical significance. FF 4 was pretty good though.

lois lanes first book?

The writing is better in X-Men, the art is better, and the characters in X-Men # 1 all make their first appearance there. Simple.

lois lanes first book?

Everything is driven by movies these days, so why not OS?