• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was your STUPIDEST comic collecting move?

120 posts in this topic

I was just thinking about the old days and remembering a [embarrassing lack of self control] move i made in High School, back in the very early 80"s. Howard the Duck #1 was hot at the time, as was X-Men 94, which were pretty new. I had 2 copies of XMen 94 and traded one of them to someone in school for a Howard the Duck #1.

Smooth move, Ex-Lax. foreheadslap.gif

Pretty much 99% of everything I bought before I found these boards?

I spent the entire 80's buying lowrun BW HOT HOT books at the top of the market, and $3 low grade SA books.

Troll Lords #1

Fish Police #1

Samurai #1

Elflord #1

you get the idea....

Can't imagine what my collection may have been if I'd spent that money wisely...

Stupid Move 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not searching out and buying the NM SA books back in the early 80's and instead, buying whatever my LCS had to offer.....

Selling my Action 28 VF/NM unrestored for $560 and using the money for a wedding gift instead of just buying the wedding gift and keeping the comic.

Selling all but one or two of my Windy City #1 issues about 15 years ago.

Not buying the Supersnipe MH collection when it was first offered in the CBG in pre-CGC days.

That's all I can think of....nothing earth shattering.

I have lost a lot of money with certain back-issue purchases, but my worst move was dropping various Marvel titles (Avengers, X-Men) to collect Image, Malibu and Defiant books (since I missed the speclulation boat on the Valiants abck in the early 90's). Boy, was it torture reading those books. foreheadslap.gif

Not know how to grade...

until I found these boards years ago...

I mean I tell a NM/M easy but -

I had boxes full of books that I thought were VF+ and up

that are really just FN's...

When it comes to other mistakes - any moderns I bought in the 90's

I can say was a huge waste...

I wish I put more of that money into silver and bronze,

but then again not knowing how to grade I would of had even more

boxes of overgraded stuff - it just wouldn't be NM drek...

tongue.gif

Dumb Move #1: In the late 90s, I passed on a nice white 7.0-ish copy of X-Men #1 for $400.

Dumb Move #2: Buying a few pricey books in the early 90s that had slight color touches. I recall thinking at the time, "Hey, it's only a little ink, not that big of a deal. Not nearly as undesirable as tears or creases." foreheadslap.gif

Dumb Move #3: Buying way too many midgrade Silver Age books. I would have been better off buying low grade beaters or paying a few more bucks for VF or better.

selling my # 1 to 10 of Strange (French marvel comics printed in 1970) for $300 in 1990 , all those gems were in 9.6, i bought them in 1983 from first owner who read them once , now you can find #1 for $1500 in this grading frustrated.gif

another stupid move was to buy my US comics from French comics shop in 80's, i've bought Silver and Bronze in 86-89 same prices i buy them now from USA but internet wasn't there confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh Jeez at least two:

1). Getting a very nice Hulk 181 from ebay that came back from CGC as a 9.2 QUALIFIED! - forgot to check for MVS! mad.giftongue.gif

2). Being one of the 'sheep' during the 90s and buying multiple copies of every title known to man.

I guess my worst was buying 5 copies of star wars #1 (5 seperate purchases) all before the phantom menace came out. I think I paid like $25 each, with most of them being VF, and for a NM- one I paid $45...

Not sure what they are worth now...

My best collecting move was to stop buying moderns, haven't bought any since 1991 or so.