• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crisis On Infinite Message Boards
6 6

1,204 posts in this topic

After spending pretty much the last four days in bed sick, waking up to find a new installment of Crisis was cloud9.gif

Thanks, Joanna... Ginger Ale tastes almost palatable with fresh Crisis... thumbsup2.gif

Because none of the men feel capable of ambulation

And there are those that say the written word is dead! thumbsup2.gif

Not in my antiquated vocabulary it isn't!

Oh YEAH?!?!? Then explain THIS:

" sorry.gif "

893frustrated.gif

confused.gif

Because none of the men feel capable of ambulation

And there are those that say the written word is dead! thumbsup2.gif

Not in my antiquated vocabulary it isn't!

Oh YEAH?!?!? Then explain THIS:

" sorry.gif "

893frustrated.gif

confused.gif

'Hacks rule. Stop polluting this thread.

House told me to tell you that the Hacks suck! The only team that they can beat on a regular basis is Division 2 MU! cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

No sports talk allowed in the Crisis thread.

seems the only way to stop this is... another installment grin.gifflowerred.gif

Sorry, feeling too funky today. Just found out my latest book proposal has been back-burnered until September. Prior to today, it had looked like I was right next door to another contract and advance, so I wasn't panicking about dwindling funds. Now I'm not sure where I'm gonna find any bucks. Got to do some major thinking this weekend, and some massive hustling next week.

Sometimes freelancing SUCKS!

-- Joanna

I have to tell you Joanna - I lived the freelance life for a couple of years and it finally beat me down. I am sorry to hear of the setback - such things are always discouraging and are also so indicative of the freelance life. I can depend on my bi-monthly paycheck. I can make spare cash selling etc but even if I sell nothing this month, my paycheks cover all expenses and more. I have so much respect for those that do freelance and can continue. Maybe not in style, maybe eating cereal at times instead of lobster, but on their own terms. More power to you! And I wish you much success! It is deserved.

-- Joanna

Indeed it does. I built my customer base up for 5 years before venturing out with enough confidence to pay the bills consistently on my own. I had a very nice 10 year run, but for about a year now its been a struggle. I just went for an interview yesterday for a position job. The constant hustle is rough when you don't have enough of a buffer (customers and bank account).

For me, everything was pretty good when I had 2-3 smaller "bread and butter" accounts to compliment the larger accounts. When you don't have the B&B's to carry you when the larger accounts depart, have no work, don't pay on time, etc... it can be very stressful.

Can you develop any new B&B concepts online? Perhaps a custom "I'm sorry letter" or "special message" service for guys who screw up with their wives/girlfriends and need to get out of trouble or want to have a killer anniversary card, etc. $35-$50 for a touching 1-2 pg. message based on the basic facts they give you that you can knock out in 30 minutes. It could be a fun challenge too. You'd have to write as a guy and with the vocabulary, style of the customer based on his communications to you.

Just an Idea (probably a dumb one), but maybe you could develop a supplemental writing service somehow to bring in smaller bucks all the time? Do a little brainstorming with some Ben & Jerry's confused-smiley-013.gif

Its rough, but I know you'll come up with something to carry you through the valleys.

Just thought of this... what about "online proofreading services"??? or focus group participation? They seek out articulate people in various fields... www.paidopinions.com

What an interesting idea! I'll definitely look into that. I tend to take a lot of surveys as it is (and have been in more than one focus group) so that wouldn't be a problem for me.

Your other suggestions were also quite good. I'm making a list of every possibility I can think of, and those are going on it. I'm not giving up, just trying to find a way to get through a rough patch.

I'm going to send out a query for my novel next week (haven't finished it, but I can query without a completed manuscript) and then I can concentrate on short-term goals better.

-- Joanna

smile.gif Good for you... the smaller reliable "bread and butter" money-makers are the key IMHO until you hit it really big. That, and finding a way to save a 2-3 month buffer in the bank and maintain it. Reducing the stress and uncertainty of being able to pay the bills allows you to concentrate on the work. Finding new work without a gun to your head doesn't wear you down nearly as much. Its so difficult to be at your best creatively when you're worrying. You just gotta get over that hump somehow and I believe you will.

Chin up. thumbsup2.gif

Another idea:

Super-Heroine phone sex service?

I can see you as Wonder Woman on the phone... being able to answer all the dateless fanboy's questions to test you (@$2.99 a minute) while you talk about your magic lasso's other uses, if you wear a thong with stars on it, etc.

893whatthe.gifshocked.gif (obviously a last resort idea) 27_laughing.gif