• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New 3,000 Golden Age Collection/Pedigree Revealed in CBG

226 posts in this topic

What specific comments are you offended by? What are the "negative posts"? Other posters made much more inflammatory/negative comments than Mark - what say you to these?

"If this is the collection I saw, it was a really cool collection. No HG books. At best some of the later issues were maybe F/VF. Mostly average low to mid-grade books around VG."

I don't want to fuel anyones fire so will agree that Mark seems like a nice guy also. I was just wondering if we both saw the same collection as from the description above it sure doesn't sound like it to me.

Anyway, for better or worse, I'm glad CBG was gracious enough to mention it. I once wrote to Scoop thinking it might be newsworthy and when someone finally got back to me they asked "Is it for sale?" When I said it wasn't, they said thanks and never got back to me. CBG obviously is intent on reporting the news whether it profits them or not. I thought that was really nice and am eternally grateful that Brent Frankenhoff thought it worth a mention. We all dream of stumbling upon a collection like that, but they seldom come along.

I'll tell you one story that led us into buying the comics. Not because it's importantr in any way, but more because I always enjoy hearing about someone finding and buying old comics.

In 1968 (when I was 12 years old) my Father lent me 200. to buy a high grade collection of Golden Age Comics which we found in New Jersey. Batman 3-60, Superman 3-60, All Star, More Fun, etc. You name it it was there. 200 comics for 200 dollars. All Fine or Better. Unfortunately, when I went to college I hadn't yet discovered the Overstreet price guide and traded away for EC Comics (which I really enjoyed reading) and later sold many in an attempt to further finance my misadventures in women and song. (I was never much of a drinker.) Years later, my Father (who was sufferring from Alzheimer's Disease and has long since passed away) sat in a car with me while we were driving to photograph a football game or fire or something like that. Out of the blue, in a moment of clarity, He said, "Whatever happened to those comics we bought?" I didn't have the heart to tell him they were long gone.

So, to me, having a chance to buy the Williamsport Collection served as a tribute to the faith my Father had in me as a 12 year old kid who loved comics. My wife had the same faith in me when she agreed to go through with it. If we never sell another, it will be fine with me. I love them whether they are VG or NM. I didn't buy them to make a profit solely. I bought them to avenge a wrong I did many years ago when I sold the ones my Dad bought me. Thanks.

Jack

[ So, to me, having a chance to buy the Williamsport Collection served as a tribute to the faith my Father had in me as a 12 year old kid who loved comics. My wife had the same faith in me when she agreed to go through with it. If we never sell another, it will be fine with me. I love them whether they are VG or NM. I didn't buy them to make a profit solely. I bought them to avenge a wrong I did many years ago when I sold the ones my Dad bought me. Thanks.

Jack

thumbsup2.gif

I bought a mid-grade book on ebay that was advertised as being from the Williamsport collection, am happy with it, and would bid on other books from the collection. I didn't view Mark's comments as negative. It sounds like you may have gone through the collection more thoroughly than he did, but the books and the grades will speak for themselves.

Whenever a collector scores a major collection I am happy for them, and I certainly have NO respect for anyone who posts negative things about someone elses good fortune. This is a sign of sour grapes and insecurity.

You should read what's actually written in this thread before posting your indignation.

Me, I'm just calling them like I see them. I'm sorry Esquire's honesty has caused Jack and Julie to have buyer's remorse. But as far as this thread, I don't see where any negative stuff has been posted, only over-zealous "defenders" trying to make it an issue.

Plus, "sour grapes" was already used this month by JMG3637 in the Chuck R. thread. We have a strict limitations on its monthly usage...

What specific comments are you offended by? What are the "negative posts"? Other posters made much more inflammatory/negative comments than Mark - what say you to these?

"If this is the collection I saw, it was a really cool collection. No HG books. At best some of the later issues were maybe F/VF. Mostly average low to mid-grade books around VG.'

Wow, you have some seriously thin skin if you call that quote you used negative. The day someone can't give their grading opinion like that, we might as well give up buying and selling comics. Maybe you consider F/VF to be high grade?

CBG obviously is intent on reporting the news whether it profits them or not.

LMAO! Read some of the CBG threads around here, you'll see why I'm laughing. (And for your thin-skinned clarification, I'm laughing mainly at CBG)

I love them whether they are VG or NM. I didn't buy them to make a profit solely. I bought them to avenge a wrong I did many years ago when I sold the ones my Dad bought me.

Then why are you b!tching when people give their opinions on grades?

I'm sorry Esquire's honesty has caused Jack and Julie to have buyer's remorse.

Are we reading the same thread?

Yup. When I read into their posts, it appears to me they're mad because Mark gave his opinion (as did F-D) that the collection wasn't as high grade as they think it us (aka a "negative comment"). So this devalues their collection, and now their doubting their purchase. Why else would they defend themselves as they have, repeating (paraphrase)"it's not just for profit" if this statement was actually true?

(gossip.gif Yep, you guessed it, I was just reflecting their illogical conclusions back at them)

The fact that the Superman and Batman from #50 on appear to be unread high end copies as well as hundreds of other Golden and early Silver Age Comics, is a newsworthy event.

Hi multicynic

Welcome to the boards. thumbsup2.gif In what I have seen posted so far, the books are very nice but I think that you may be a tad overly optimistic in your grading. Also, can you please refrain from the CGC keyword spamming. It is against eBay rules and annoying to us who search for slabbed books. Since you are a long time eBay seller with over 1000 transactions, I thought you would like to know, in the event that you were not aware of this.

CGC spamming

\ and more

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atlas-Comics-Kid-Col...1QQcmdZViewItem

wait even though he justed said that the collection isnt for sale and that this isnt about profit...and then posts some sob story about his dear ole dad and comics and how he bought these comics for him....he is listing them on ebay and spamming the auctions when he does?

So, we're going to see Batman 50-100 in unread, unrestored, high grade shape listed on eBay unslabbed? If they are such high grade, prove Mr. Zaid wrong and get them slabbed. The slabbing cost is peanuts compared to the value of the books in high grade.

I'm sure Mark would be the first to eat crow if you produced 50+ books from before 1954 that were slabbed CGC 8.0 or better.

wait even though he justed said that the collection isnt for sale and that this isnt about profit...and then posts some sob story about his dear ole dad and comics and how he bought these comics for him....he is listing them on ebay and spamming the auctions when he does?

thumbsup2.gif