• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: CGC Forum Philanthropy

71 posts in this topic

So I just got an idea: reading Chuck's description of his Jim Lee dinner and thinking what a jack arse he is for not giving the CBLDF the full amount of the auction total, I was wondering what you guys think about trying to get some money together to donate either to CBLDF or Comics 4 Kids.I know that in the past a bunch of use got together to help a forum member get a DVD player, this could be something like that . . . Any interest?

Would you give money to support a comic charity? [*]I would contribute above $100 [*]I would contribute between $75-$100 [*]I would contribute between $50-$75 [*]I would contribute between $25-$50 [*]I would contribute between $1-$25 [*]I want to contribute, but don't quote me on a number at this time [*]Great idea, but can't afford it now

If you guys would be interested I wouldn't mind organizing something and then just having you guys paypal / mail the charity directly with something to the effect of "CGC Forums Donation" in the email header.I am sure that not a lot of people give to comic charities and even if we could raise $100 it would be really appreciated.Thoughts?DAM

Good idea.

All of these are worthy causes (ACTOR, cbldf, comics4kids). I would give a few bucks myself and propose the following: Collect for a week (month whatever), if you have < $300, do a poll and give it all to the winner. If we collect >= $300, split it evenly between the 3.

Collect for a week (month whatever), if you have < $300, do a poll and give it all to the winner. If we collect >= $300, split it evenly between the 3.

Darryl - I am thinking a little bigger. Let's say we get $500 dollars or more from the forum. Then what I propose is that we get CGC to match us dollar for dollar. The publicity alone would be worth it. Then what I'm thinking is, I work for Bank of America - mayeb they could be our corporate sponsors and also match our gift dollar for dollar? Let's say that someone else on these forums works for Cisco (insert generic company name) and let's say that they get involved for a 100% match . . . we could have some real money here . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

DAM

www.comics4kids.org

they accept donations of comic books to give to kids, promote the industry and encourage literacy. Money accepted is used for transport, mail, and overhead getting the books out. Also buy collections to give away. CHECK IT OUT

ACTOR gives money to old comic book creators, like a Social security of the comic weorld, cause these guys didn't have creator owned characters.

CBDLF uses money to hire lawyers for comic book cases, like a little ACLU

this is a great idea put me down for 100

Collect for a week (month whatever), if you have < $300, do a poll and give it all to the winner. If we collect >= $300, split it evenly between the 3.

Darryl - I am thinking a little bigger. Let's say we get $500 dollars or more from the forum. Then what I propose is that we get CGC to match us dollar for dollar. The publicity alone would be worth it. Then what I'm thinking is, I work for Bank of America - mayeb they could be our corporate sponsors and also match our gift dollar for dollar? Let's say that someone else on these forums works for Cisco (insert generic company name) and let's say that they get involved for a 100% match . . . we could have some real money here . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

DAM

Cool. My old company used to do charitable matching. I'm not sure if my new one does. I'll check.

Instead of CASH DONATIONS, why doesn't everyone DONATE COMICS? Then this "collection" could be listed on Ebay(individually or as a lot). I would be more than willingly to contribute a couple of books. I would be pretty cool to put that auction on my Watch List.....

It would also give us a chance to make other comic collectors AWARE of these charities. I think Ebay could provide MASS EXPOSURE. What does everyone else think?

I think people donating books to sell as a part of a massive CGC-Forum wide effort to raise funds would be a great idea!! grin.gif

DAM

If its books you want. Ive got lots to donate!

I think people donating books to sell as a part of a massive CGC-Forum wide effort to raise funds would be a great idea!! grin.gif

DAM

If its books you want. Ive got lots to donate!

Maybe this can then be two parts? We could take the books and donate them to comics for kids directly and then the cash could go to Actor or CBLDF? (to be decided by poll?)

DAM