• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I remember

211 posts in this topic

Sorry for the poor quality, but I have no clue how to set my scanner for a Polaroid snapshot. So here it is...I give you: Greg's "driveway collection" ...278 comics strong (according to my handwritten caption) from the Summer of 1978! cloud9.gif

(A "No Prize" for the one who can identify the most comics)

Gregscollection1978.jpg

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Priceless !!!!!!

BTW, at a quick glance, I can definately Identify 4 of the Treasuries....And two of the books, I have to go do a few things, but I'll look for more later....

Thanx Again !!!!!!

I've got a few of those "nerd" shots of my collection from early on that I'll have to pull out and scan. Thanks for sharing.....we can all feel at home again.

Gee, I sure am glad I made you post that photo Greg, sorry.gif 147 views and a whopping 2 replies. Guess what I think is of worth, others feel is not worthy of comment.

I am really tired of trying to make this a better place without the help from those who read and run. I aint done trying. I say if you take the time to read a thread.. comment about it. It promotes foward discussion.

Very well. tonofbricks.gif

14thBirthday.jpg

What grade is it?

Do you still have it?

Any idea how much it cost back then?

Very cool birthday present. Even cooler if you still have it. thumbsup2.gif

I never got no comics when I was a kid. sorry.gif

Ze...frustrating, I know. But hey...at least some of us were amused by my old nerdy comic photos! It was worth posting them for that alone! acclaim.gif

Comicdey...it would be AWESOME if you and others have some old collection photos to share...I can't be the only teen comic nerd whose parents saved that stuff??!! 27_laughing.gif

And as for my birthday photo...it was a VG-ish copy, ridiculously overpriced at the LCS for $65! At that time (1979) the book listed at about $38 in the guide...so my parents got totally hosed on the purchase. At least they had one extremely happy kid to show for it! cloud9.gif

Sadly, that comic and 99.9% of my other books were sold a few years later during my freshman year in college...I decided that I needed beer and girl money more than comics at that point in my life! foreheadslap.gif

That's because we were young and didn't have that many responsibilities. Circle of life...

Somewhat, but life does get more complicated with technology. We work more, have less leisure time, and the "window of childhood" continues to shrink.

I remember in my pre-teen years, playing baseball in an empty lot til very late, every single night during the summer, and my parents never worried once. Try that today and you'd be on a milk carton.

That's because we were young and didn't have that many responsibilities. Circle of life...

Somewhat, but life does get more complicated with technology. We work more, have less leisure time, and the "window of childhood" continues to shrink.

I remember in my pre-teen years, playing baseball in an empty lot til very late, every single night during the summer, and my parents never worried once. Try that today and you'd be on a milk carton.

If I had an XBox 360 when I was young I probably would not have fond memories of all our dirt clod wars in the vacant lot in our neighborhood. We spent endless hours making forts, and trying to hit each other with dirt clods.

One time a kid actually connected with a small stick of driftwood that sailed end over end (much farther then any dirt clod would go), and hit my friend right on the temple he was knocked out cold. We thought he was dead.. we all ran home to get our parents. He was awake when we all got back.. rubbing his temple.

Perhaps an Xbox would have been safer, but I doubt as fun. Were the days longer when we grew up?

Ze-

Yes, but the window of acting childishly continues to increase. yay.gif

Ze...frustrating, I know. But hey...at least some of us were amused by my old nerdy comic photos! It was worth posting them for that alone! acclaim.gif

Comicdey...it would be AWESOME if you and others have some old collection photos to share...I can't be the only teen comic nerd whose parents saved that stuff??!! 27_laughing.gif

And as for my birthday photo...it was a VG-ish copy, ridiculously overpriced at the LCS for $65! At that time (1979) the book listed at about $38 in the guide...so my parents got totally hosed on the purchase. At least they had one extremely happy kid to show for it! cloud9.gif

Sadly, that comic and 99.9% of my other books were sold a few years later during my freshman year in college...I decided that I needed beer and girl money more than comics at that point in my life! foreheadslap.gif

I think I know where the photos are "in the comic room" next time I'm down there I'll give it a look see. I'm not sure if I have a photo of myself with the first big book my parents helped me purchase....I can tell you I still have it and it's a TOS 39 in VF+ or so raw thumbsup2.gif. Paid $300 back in around 1983-1985 range (Whenever the overstreet had full NM at $350 as I had to barter it down). My parents gave me some money for my birthday and it went into that one book. hail.gif

I think I know where the photos are "in the comic room" next time I'm down there I'll give it a look see. I'm not sure if I have a photo of myself with the first big book my parents helped me purchase....I can tell you I still have it and it's a TOS 39 in VF+ or so raw thumbsup2.gif. Paid $300 back in around 1983-1985 range (Whenever the overstreet had full NM at $350 as I had to barter it down). My parents gave me some money for my birthday and it went into that one book. hail.gif

It is very cool that you hung onto that one...I'm so jealous! I never had a high-grade key Silver age book in my original collection...and it's great that your parents helped you acquire a grail back then. 893applaud-thumb.gif

14thBirthday.jpg

Man, life was so much simpler then, eh? Or seemed that way, anyway.

smirk.gif

Agreed !!!! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Great photo !!!! I wish I had some myself, (photos). Never thought to do so. Wasn't many cameras around when I was young.

BTW, it must have also been nice to not have to "hide" your collecting habit from your parents, as I did. Hell, my mom only recognized my collection when she was looking for a way to punish me, as in " I'll throw them damn things out if you don't......(whatever, insert)!!!"

Wasn't many cameras around when I was young.

Was the world even color when you were young? 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

It should now be noted that I am in the un-official "I have been nailed by JC" club,

thanx Joe !

I consider it an honor..... yay.gif

I remember 1st grade. (36 years ago) It was a school, with 3 big classrooms, (1&2 3&4 5&6 grades) bathrooms and a cafeteria. My teacher taught 1st and 2nd grade. It was recess, and for some reason, I got the urge, to kick on the back door of the classroom, and run around the corner, before the teacher came out. Well, about the third time it backfired. And older classmate grabbed me, and held on to me, until the teacher came out. When class resumed,I was called up front. The female teacher removed my pants, placed me over her knee, and beat me with a ruler. makepoint.gifI was then made to grab my pants, walk across the classroom in front of 1st and 2nd grade, and put my pants back on in the bathroom. blush.gifI never did that again.

Rulers were much thicker back then . It might have even been a yard stick. It left several black and blues.

(emphasis added)

How long ago ? Around here, (Reading, PA) teachers have not punished students in such a manner for MANY years. (Although I do remember these things myself, as a student in grade school.)

I had more trouble with the teachers in High School , threatening to kick my a**, telling me to come back when I am 18, so thay can kick my a**, and one who actually took me out in the hall, with (I believe) every intention of kicking my a** !!

Once in the hall, cooler heads prevailed, but not before his finger was in my chest, and his necktie was in my clenched fist.

The good old days.....

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bump

Rulers were much thicker back then . It might have even been a yard stick. It left several black and blues.

(emphasis added)

How long ago ? Around here, (Reading, PA) teachers have not punished students in such a manner for MANY years. (Although I do remember these things myself, as a student in grade school.)

I had more trouble with the teachers in High School , threatening to kick my a**, telling me to come back when I am 18, so thay can kick my a**, and one who actually took me out in the hall, with (I believe) every intention of kicking my a** !!

Once in the hall, cooler heads prevailed, but not before his finger was in my chest, and his necktie was in my clenched fist.

The good old days.....

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bump

It was 36 years ago in northern Vermont.

The only teacher hitting student I was ever witness to was in eighth grade when a substitute hit a kid with a plastic yardstick across the knuckles. That was in 1997.

The greatest story I ever heard about a student getting hit was from my high school, this happened in 1989, the gym coach literally cracked a clip board in half when he hit a kid in the head after catching him with a joint. This was done in front of an entire class, and the kid obviously attempted to sue, but could not get a single witness to come forward.

The coach in question was fired about two years ago for grabbing a little brat that started a food fight.