• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thanks Alot, Chuck! <sarcasm>

48 posts in this topic

Which brings up another point: now that Dallas' books are up on ebay, isnt he asking himself "This is Chuck's genius sales plan?? Why didnt I do that myself???"

Do you realize the amount of time and work that would go into auctioning off this kind of collection on ebay? It would be a full time job all by itself. I would guess that Dallas doesn't want to deal with it. But if that Bat 31 is any indication I don't think he'll be seeing much revenue coming in from this collection.

Dallas Stephens was born in 1946 in a small town on the windswept plains north of Amarillo, Texas. While his family was just about as poor as any that could be found in that dryland farming region of the Texas Panhandle, Dallas managed to gain an early appreciation for the wonders of comics and graphic art from his visits to the local barbershop. There, while taking a brief respite from the colorless drudgery of Texas farm life, Dallas found himself transported into worlds of wonder that helped him transcend the penurious existence of a share-cropping farm family. While the 25 cent cost of the local movie theater's matinees was often beyond the constraints of his family's meager budget, the wonderful stacks of comics that were available for free reading in the barbershop provided the one source of exciting entertainment in an otherwise barefoot and culturally bare existence. (click on image for larger view)

Damn! Chuck makes this guy sound like "The Jerk". Could he be any more condescending? "Colorless Drudgery of Texas farm life", "barefoot and culturally bare existence". Holy S! I may have to send the prizes to Chuck himself!

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!! 27_laughing.gif

Chris

Typical of people who know little or nothing, my offer was not "low" by any means. Dallas went with the numbers Chuck GUARANTEED which were higher than mine. And I have no intention of stating what my numbers were but $400,000 isn't even close.

With reference to the Atom and Batman scans in above mentioned auctions:

The real pain an suffering on Chuck's part must be the hours and hours he is going to spend colour correcting those scans to look as bright and new as they do in his auctions...

I bet he'll be a Photoshop wizard in a month...

(btw, I've been a profesional graphic designer for 12 years and have been using photoshop and scanners for the same... and, if those scan are true to the real book, I'll eat my keyboard!)

The real pain an suffering on Chuck's part must be the hours and hours he is going to spend colour correcting those scans to look as bright and new as they do in his auctions...

I bet he'll be a Photoshop wizard in a month...

(btw, I've been a profesional graphic designer for 12 years and have been using photoshop and scanners for the same... and, if those scan are true to the real book, I'll eat my keyboard!)

Funny you should say that,....I was thinking the same thing on that Atom scan,....the blues and purples just dont' look right......color is just a tad too vibrant...The Atoms costume almost looks purple.

J.D.

Typical of people who know little or nothing, my offer was not "low" by any means. Dallas went with the numbers Chuck GUARANTEED which were higher than mine. And I have no intention of stating what my numbers were but $400,000 isn't even close.

Bob, I don't think he was trying to insult you with his post. On a collection of this size, with active competition, no one is going to be able to "steal" the collection and all the players know that. So I am certain your offer represented what you felt you could afford to pay based on your knowledge of the market and your customer base...

That said, PLEASE tell me your solution wouldn't have been to overload a U-Haul by 2,000 lbs and drive it across the desert in the middle of the night, by yourself... Please...

He was also a major purchaser of comics from noted pedigree collections, including White Mountain, Salida, Dell file copies

WOO-HOO! More Salida books hitting the market!! cloud9.gif

Hey Bob, do you know (approx.) how many books from this pedigree were in the collection?

Al

Dallas Stephens was born in 1946 in a small town on the windswept plains north of Amarillo, Texas. While his family was just about as poor as any that could be found in that dryland farming region of the Texas Panhandle, Dallas managed to gain an early appreciation for the wonders of comics and graphic art from his visits to the local barbershop. There, while taking a brief respite from the colorless drudgery of Texas farm life, Dallas found himself transported into worlds of wonder that helped him transcend the penurious existence of a share-cropping farm family. While the 25 cent cost of the local movie theater's matinees was often beyond the constraints of his family's meager budget, the wonderful stacks of comics that were available for free reading in the barbershop provided the one source of exciting entertainment in an otherwise barefoot and culturally bare existence. (click on image for larger view)

Damn! Chuck makes this guy sound like "The Jerk". Could he be any more condescending? "Colorless Drudgery of Texas farm life", "barefoot and culturally bare existence". Holy S! I may have to send the prizes to Chuck himself!

I didn't find the description necessarily condescending. I assumed those embellishments came at least partially from Dallas himself. Chuck's smart enough to know that Dallas would be reading his ads and wouldn't put something in that he thought Dallas would find demeaning.

. Chuck's smart enough to know that Dallas would be reading his ads and wouldn't put something in that he thought Dallas would find demeaning.

The contract is signed and the deal is done. Chuck can do anything he wants at this point. After his own admission of lying about "low distibution" and fooling Overstreet, I wouldn't put it past him. Couple that with the various accounts from people about his bragging about his "theft" of the Church books.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Chris

Chuck's smart enough to know that Dallas would be reading his ads and wouldn't put something in that he thought Dallas would find demeaning.

Chuck already has the books. wink.gif

I don't know...have you ever met the man? It doesn't seem to be his style....

Read his TFDB on the MHC website. He openly admits he and other dealers in the Denver area slapped Conan #3 w/ a "limited distribution" tag that still is in OS to this day!

Chuck already has the books.

OG's on point again. And that was my point as well. Deal is done. C'mon FF, I know you're not that naive. Do you really think anyone would provide information like THAT for a bio on themself? Would you?

Chris

Read his TFDB on the MHC website. He openly admits he and other dealers in the Denver area slapped Conan #3 w/ a "limited distribution" tag that still is in OS to this day!

He was alot younger as well. That's completely different than publicly ridiculing the man he's in a "partnership" with. Why jeopardize it? All it would take is a court order and the comics are dead in litigation.

He doesn't seem the type to go after the "person". Business....maybe. But not personally......

Jim

Those are good points, Jim. I've never met him, so maybe I'm way offbase (wouldn't be the first or last time). But, after reading all of his TFDB and hearing stories from various people, my impression of him is not a good one. My posts on him reflect how I feel about him.

He is a business man (obviously a very good one). And I think he would do/say anything to sell a book (as obvious by his ridiculous newsletters).

All it would take is a court order and the comics are dead in litigation.

He's got deep pockets. His lawyers would be able to stall a court order long enough to swap out some books. shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Not saying he would. But, it's possible.

Chris

Lighthouse, thanx for understanding my $400K figure wasnt meant as an insult. Im not sure what the collection is worth on the open market: I havent seen it, and only have Chucks estimate and word to go by.

But $400K is a lot of cash. Most dealers who bid would have to partner up to come up with it....(and to minimize competition and keep the purchase price down) Chuck in the this seems to have been the wildcard here I think---he doesnt play with the short list of other Usual Suspects who can go after a hoard like this. He's actually their worst nightmare: A smoother-talking salesman with a back-end pitch of millions!!!

So, Blazin'---what did your team estimate the value of the collection to be?

I would have liked you to have gotten it! I would have liked to partner with you on it even more!!!!

Chuck probably doesnt evenrealize how condescending he was in his description of Dallas. Dallas might have been a little humble in talking about his past, and Chusk just likes tellling a good story, and embellishing it a bit (OK a bunch!)

...and, as you say--hes already got the books. Anyway--Dallas doesnt seem like the lawyering up kind a guy, yknow, country poor an all.

And he lists them in eBay's Comics:Supplies category! confused.gif

Quite a marketing channel ya got there Dallas! 893whatthe.gif

To Zonker's point:

Yeah, when I first saw those two books, and the listings, I couldn't figure it out... but maybe Chuck has something up his sleeve. Maybe he was contractually obligated to post some # of the books on eBay by X date? There's no way a mistake like that wouldn't be fixed by now unless it was intentional in the first place..?

As for the "bio" of Dallas, I'm extremely confident that it wasn't written by him, but was written by Chuck. I've drafted maybe 1,000 "executive bios," customer case studies and "user profiles" over the past 15+ years, and NO ONE would let something like that out the door if it pertained to him/herself. I don't care of your Louis L'Amore, that's not an autobiographical piece of copy - it was written by someone other than Dallas, and it smells very much like Chuck's writing, IMHO.