• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crippen collection

74 posts in this topic

I need clarification here.

Am I to assume in light of this thread...that every book bearing the 'D Crippen' notation, prior to the recent Heritage sale, is in fact a STOLEN Book? (shrug)

I'm not sure. I thought the ones that just said "D Copy" were?

That's correct. The books brought to market in the second wave have the "Davis Crippen" designation.

I need clarification here.

Am I to assume in light of this thread...that every book bearing the 'D Crippen' notation, prior to the recent Heritage sale, is in fact a STOLEN Book? (shrug)

I'm not sure. I thought the ones that just said "D Copy" were?

That's correct. The books brought to market in the second wave have the "Davis Crippen" designation.

Go Me! I love me some me!

Who was the dealer who bought the stolen books?

I think it rhymes with Schmopolis..

lol

Well, to be fair, I imagine that one can't be the largest comic book dealer in the world without having moved a bunch of stolen funnybooks. I bet we all have one or two in our collection that may have been stolen off the newstand 60 years ago.

So how do they know what these books are?.. Are they stamped with his name on them or some such?..

hm more crooked contractor readings!! As if seeing all the stuff happening these days on homes on homes isn't bad enough :S This guy should be hunted down and shot, or at the least karma! have his car stolen and trashed and his house broken into and trashed when hes not home :S Thats what I'd do if it was me :P

why on earth do they have that there to start with though?..

If I'm remembering this correctly: the first number is the number of books in his collection at that point in time (1290); next is the publisher code (in this case Quality); and the third number is how many books he has by that publisher (273)

crazy! I wonder why he would write on them like that if he had ever had plans to sell them! Also anyone else find it sort of sad that the first thing they do when he dies is sell off the collection right away?.. I hope they at least kept a couple of books or something just cause yknow :S

Not trying to make it sound like they were just waiting for him to die to sell his stuff right away or anything like that either :S

I Suppose though whats one to do with someone else stuff when they die and its nothing you care about ...

Some people are impulsive, I guess. I bit of savant in them or something. Like order, maybe? My guess is he was a "collector" because he liked order and whatnot rather than an investor.

Completionist maybe? Probably missed very few books in his runs. Church just had them all stacked up in a back basement room, right? Doesn't think he even thought about them in his old age ... probably forgot about them when the basement stairs felt treacherous.

Anyway, have to admit it's a bit refreshing to have a flavor of non-obsession come into my comic collecting world. :P

crazy! I wonder why he would write on them like that if he had ever had plans to sell them! Also anyone else find it sort of sad that the first thing they do when he dies is sell off the collection right away?.. I hope they at least kept a couple of books or something just cause yknow :S

Not trying to make it sound like they were just waiting for him to die to sell his stuff right away or anything like that either :S

I Suppose though whats one to do with someone else stuff when they die and its nothing you care about ...

Why don't you do some reading about exactly what happened before you just make WAGs and presumptions about the family's motivation to sell or not to sell?

(shrug)

I mean, unless just pulling stuff out of your bum is your bag, in which case, never mind

Why don't you do some reading about exactly what happened before you just make WAGs and presumptions about the family's motivation to sell or not to sell?

(shrug)

I mean, unless just pulling stuff out of your bum is your bag, in which case, never mind

I had difficulty in understanding your post Sal for a moment.

I guess you mean 'Wild Arsed Guess'? (shrug)

In the UK WAG has a different meaning...it means 'Wives & Girlfriends'! :gossip:

Some people are impulsive, I guess. I bit of savant in them or something. Like order, maybe? My guess is he was a "collector" because he liked order and whatnot rather than an investor.

Completionist maybe? Probably missed very few books in his runs. Church just had them all stacked up in a back basement room, right? Doesn't think he even thought about them in his old age ... probably forgot about them when the basement stairs felt treacherous.

Anyway, have to admit it's a bit refreshing to have a flavor of non-obsession come into my comic collecting world. :P

I agree. Although Crippen doesn't fit the comic collector definition in some contemporary minds, the guy did amass about 12-13,000 comics! I heard about his code on the inside pages but hadn't seen one until now. I have seen many of his copies (through scans) that have that tiny cursive "D" on the front cover, hence the "D copy" designation.

It seems we can reasonably conclude he was a very detail-oriented, very organized person (one of the paradoxes of being a packrat?) I can relate to anyone who has been given the OCD label, but back in Crippen's day, the bible of psychiatry, the DSM, hadn't established itself. But it sounds like he'd be a textbook candidate for OCD.

Also, if he stopped collecting at about age 25, in 1955, that means for 50 years, until his death in 2005, these comics just sat! I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't have been curious about their worth along the way, and especially with the advent of Overstreet for all these years (1970-present) and then the Internet by the mid-1990s. But he had lots of other stuff too, and probably had other priorities. These kind of stories utterly intrigue me so that's why it's killing me to wait for the forthcoming pedigree book...

(shrug)

Yeah you should try doing the same before running off at the mouth

Who was the dealer who bought the stolen books?

I think it rhymes with Schmopolis..

I'm curious if when those first batches of high grade key "D" books were brought in to the NY dealer, if they looked at them and said:" Well, it's too bad someone marked up the first page on all of these books, that really brings down the grade and what we can give you." What do you think?