• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANY THOUGHTS ABOUT MICHAEL LARK?

19 posts in this topic

Lark is a decent artist who's style has progressed nicely since he started on Gothan Central. I liked the feel his work on Batman: Nine Lives had as it really fit the noir tone of the book. As he moved on to do work on Daredevil and Captain America his style has become refined and his work is top notch.

As a person I think Michael Lark is a total flake.

I really like his stuff! thumbsup2.gif I own a GC cover he did with Catwoman on it.

My friend owns the cover to GC #1. He bought it from directly Michael before the book came out -- went to his house and picked it up since he's a local.

I really like his stuff! thumbsup2.gif I own a GC cover he did with Catwoman on it.

My friend owns the cover to GC #1. He bought it from directly Michael before the book came out -- went to his house and picked it up since he's a local.

Very cool! thumbsup2.gif

I never got into GC, but the guys at my old LCS would swear by it. Met Lark at B'more Con 2005. Nice guy. Had alot of nice pages for sale at relatively good prices. Had a Cap page that I really dug, but had a pretty large stat on it (of Cap), so I passed. It would've killed my budget for the show, and I ended up buying a killer HG Alan Moore Miracleman run with the $$$.

Nice artwork though. Kind of a "Poor Man's Alex Maleeve"; not that there's anything wrong with that...I love Maleeve's art, but I wouldn't buy anything from him (Maleeve) as he and his agent were the biggest [embarrassing lack of self control] I've ever encountered at a show.

Nice artwork though. Kind of a "Poor Man's Alex Maleeve"; not that there's anything wrong with that...I love Maleeve's art

That's funny because my feelings are exactly the reverse: I prefer Lark to Maleev personally. I believe that while Lark certainly has less wow in his work compare to Maleev that he is a clearer storyteller and that counts highly in his favor in my book. Both are effective comic book artists but Lark can carry a weak -script through. I am not as familiar with Maleev's work outside of his DD work so I can't attest for what he can do without a strong Bendis story.

That's funny because my feelings are exactly the reverse: I prefer Lark to Maleev personally. I believe that while Lark certainly has less wow in his work compare to Maleev that he is a clearer storyteller and that counts highly in his favor in my book. Both are effective comic book artists but Lark can carry a weak -script through. I am not as familiar with Maleev's work outside of his DD work so I can't attest for what he can do without a strong Bendis story.

You may be on the money with your post. I was comparing their DD work. Maleeve had a long run on the book, where Lark is just starting his. I'm sure my familiarity and comfort level with Maleeve plays a part in my opinion.

I've never seen anything Maleeve has done apart from DD. I do, however, know Lark from his work on GC and Cap.

I think their style is similar. I don't think anyone could dispute that. I'm just used to Maleeve (again, I'm not saying that I don't like Lark...I think Marvel picked the perfect artist to take over). I just need a few more issues to absorb.

I loved Gotham Central - even after Brubaker & Lark left.

Reminded me of one of my favorite TV shows Homicide:A Life on the Streets. Also the Vertigo mini Scene of the Crime they did together was excellent. Pick it up if you haven't read it.

I prefer Lark to Maleev. While Maleev's style worked well with Bendis' writing, the photo referencing was a little too obvious at times. I'll take either one over most of the boring

art found in most Marvel titles.

I prefer Lark to Maleev. While Maleev's style worked well with Bendis' writing, the photo referencing was a little too obvious at times.

I overheard Lark talking to a fan in Baltimore saying he can only crank out his work so fast because he himself is so highly dependent on photo referencing. blush.gif