• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,461 posts in this topic

On 5/21/2021 at 10:52 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Please put me on speed dial if you ever want to sell this (or trade down for my 8.0).

Mine is not for sale but if you want to upgrade yours to 9.0 don't miss this one in next Comiclink's auction:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2021aug%23Item_1504489&id=1504489&itemType=0

OK, I'm just going to say it because it makes me so mad.  Some people will violently disagree with me, others may feel like I do.

But as far as I'm concerned ... whoever did this completely ruined a beautiful book.  What a shame.

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?id=1506423

RAD78881202185_123412.jpg

On 8/5/2021 at 9:50 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

OK, I'm just going to say it because it makes me so mad.  Some people will violently disagree with me, others may feel like I do.

But as far as I'm concerned ... whoever did this completely ruined a beautiful book.  What a shame.

Have to agree with you on this one Sweet Lou.  Way too much writing on the cover is distracting my eyes, and the ink smudging from this pen looks extremely bad.  I don't mind a small, well placed and clear signature, but these hand written messages from Stan on the cover don't do it for me :eek: 

On 8/5/2021 at 10:28 AM, mosconi said:

Have to agree with you on this one Sweet Lou.  Way too much writing on the cover is distracting my eyes, and the ink smudging from this pen looks extremely bad.  I don't mind a small, well placed and clear signature, but these hand written messages from Stan on the cover don't do it for me :eek: 

I totally agree with you and @Sweet Lou 14...a beautiful, high-grade copy of this book ruined by all that text over the logo.

On 8/5/2021 at 11:50 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I have to agree and for the record, I have a LOT of Signature Series books (none of which that I PERSONALLY had signed, I bought them all that way). It breaks my heart when I see a very high grade VINTAGE comic signed. There are plenty of mid grade and below copies out there that are just a much better choice for a signature, in my opinion. There aren't enough unrestored 9.0 Spidey #1s to go around as it is. 

Amazing Spider-Man 40 5.0 ss Stan ow front.jpg

Edited by Frisco Larson

The August CLINK Stan Lee signature keys are somewhat of a mess.  I was excited to see an FF #1 as part of the offerings, but then I saw the front cover (below).  Now I won't bid at all.

And I DO, happily, own a Stan signature in my collection.  But it's classy and fun, not distracting.  Also, I don't love how these labels make it seem a little like Stan's giving the audience the finger.  (Does anyone else see that?)

Ugh.

Dan

RADA8BF7202185_123646.jpg

On 8/5/2021 at 12:41 PM, Drummy said:

The August CLINK Stan Lee signature keys are somewhat of a mess.  I was excited to see an FF #1 as part of the offerings, but then I saw the front cover (below).  Now I won't bid at all.

And I DO, happily, own a Stan signature in my collection.  But it's classy and fun, not distracting.  Also, I don't love how these labels make it seem a little like Stan's giving the audience the finger.  (Does anyone else see that?)

Ugh.

Dan

RADA8BF7202185_123646.jpg

I wouldn't buy that book.  I have no real interest in autographed books in general, but would want much more subtle ones if I was going to buy one.  I understand what they were going for with the custom label but don't care for that either.  Just a personal preference in both cases.

113 took a looong time to upgrade to a "9" on front, so had to take the sig...   the 110 was simply a good deal, and i figured one day stan's sig on that key might be worth sumpin' extra.

On 8/5/2021 at 3:41 PM, Drummy said:

Ugh.

Dan

Took me a moment to realize they're trying to make it look like he's got web shooters.  I'm guessing the same consignor put both of these books up.  Like you said, a mess.

On 8/5/2021 at 3:13 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I have to agree and for the record, I have a LOT of Signature Series books (none of which that I PERSONALLY had signed, I bought them all that way). It breaks my heart when I see a very high grade VINTAGE comic signed. There are plenty of mid grade and below copies out there that are just a much better choice for a signature, in my opinion. There aren't enough unrestored 9.0 Spidey #1s to go around as it is. 

You've hit the nail on the head for me.  I would love to buy an ASM #1 in 9.0, and when I saw one come up I got excited.  Then I saw this travesty and it really ticked me off.  Go do this to a 3.0, don't ruin a gorgeous 9.0.