• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,461 posts in this topic

Went to a small comic vendor show yesterday which was nice haven't done any type of show since 2019 and all. Saw some very nice slab asm. Way to pricey for me. And he'll one vendor had a af15 1.5 slab for big money. I did walk away with 3 books in 400 Era and now down to needing 278 issues for 1 to present.

So this morning, I went over to a "retirement sale" which was advertised on my local Craigslist.  The ad offered a "Vintage Spiderman Comic Collection (late 60's thru early 80's)"  When it originally appeared a week ago, I texted the guy and offered to take the books off his hands.  Not surprisingly, he was inundated with such offers which I think shocked and surprised him.  He ultimately decided he was going to hold a "closed bid" auction where anyone interested could write down their bid and he'd open 'em up at a time certain.  The collection was very nice - he had custom-built wooden boxes to hold it in and all bagged but not boarded - but it was not quite as advertised.  For instance, there were very few "late 60s" books and the ones he had were not in great shape.  The other books and keys were in what I thought were very nice shape (210, 238, 252) except for the 129 which had a spine roll and some staple-area damage.  But there was no 121!  No 100 or 101!  The collection was generally spotty between 64 and about 173 .  He had a long run of MTU, lots of annuals, WOS, Marvel Tales.  Anyway, I threw in a low-ball bid which has no chance of success but it was fun to see.  He said they'd been sitting in a dark closet since the early 80s.

On 7/11/2021 at 7:41 AM, Straw-Man said:

went right past this one earlier.

docstrange179.jpg

Something about Spidey on this cover always bothered me...he has rubbery legs and looks like he's holding on to an invisible wall with his right hand.

On 7/11/2021 at 9:31 AM, Straw-Man said:

mt11.jpg

mt12.jpg

mt13.jpg

mt14.jpg

mt15.jpg

mt16.jpg

mt17.jpg

mt18.jpg

mt19.jpg

mt20.jpg

mt21.jpg

mt22.jpg

mt23.jpg

MT 11 came out in August 1967, the month I started collecting Marvel books. I bought it and all of the other issues in this post off the rack. I still think DD’s yellow costume is cool.

22 minutes ago, ickwinzs said:

This one arrived yesterday, not the correct grade for my run but I could not pass it up. Probably will use it to trade down to 8.0 or another issue or 2.

asm24 9.0.jpg

I always loved this Ditko cover!

20 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

at the end of spidey 2, when she said "go get 'em, tiger," i swooned.

Gawd those first 2 movies were good.  Can't wait for the return of Doc Ock in "No Way Home."  Have my fingers crossed for a "Holy Cow!  It's Doc Ock!" line in there somewhere.