• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

16,138 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2024 at 6:57 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I have three copies of this book - this is the upgrade I received from @pickycollector.  To show you how little attention I was paying at age 13, my other two copies, purchased at an LCS, had coupons cut out and a very bad misprint so that the copy loses color toward the bottom of the page (first copy) and a one-inch tear on top of the spine that carries through to the last 2 or 3 pages (second copy).  Don't love them any less, but wake up, stupid!  I wasn't even paging through these books to make sure they were complete, and of course the defects weren't disclosed (this was before anyone - local at least - was putting all books in bags).

ASM - 91 - 3.jpg

Hey Matt, I may be wrong but I don't think you bought that book from me. I remember you buying my under-copy of #92 but not #91. Either way, it's a very nice book! (thumbsu

On 9/13/2024 at 4:29 PM, pickycollector said:

Hey Matt, I may be wrong but I don't think you bought that book from me. I remember you buying my under-copy of #92 but not #91. Either way, it's a very nice book! (thumbsu

It doesn't really matter, except I like to give credit where it's due (and point people in the direction of trusted sellers with nice books available). 

One of my first received PMs!

pickycollector

Started conversation: May 20, 2021

Hi,

Thanks for the purchase of ASM #91 in my current FS thread but I don't have any Sub-Mariner issue for $30 so you will need to specify which issue you are taking if any.

For those who are tracking my dopey mistakes at home, it was Subby #30 I was after there which I did buy along with a very nice JIM 98 at that time.  All really great books.  Almost a year later, I did also pick up the ASM #92 - another beauty - which we'll see tomorrow!

Edited by MattTheDuck

On 9/13/2024 at 9:10 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It doesn't really matter, except I like to give credit where it's due (and point people in the direction of trusted sellers with nice books available). 

One of my first received PMs!

Hi,

Thanks for the purchase of ASM #91 in my current FS thread but I don't have any Sub-Mariner issue for $30 so you will need to specify which issue you are taking if any.

For those who are tracking my dopey mistakes at home, it was Subby #30 I was after there which I did buy along with a very nice JIM 98 at that time.  All really great books.  Almost a year later, I did also pick up the ASM #92 - another beauty - which we'll see tomorrow!

I stand corrected, totally forgot about that one :shy: looks like you got #91 and #92 from me after all :cheers:

On 9/14/2024 at 9:48 AM, Lee Enterprises said:

For anyone who is interested, here's an example of how the new CGC JSA authentication process works. I submitted (via ComicLink) this ASM #39 qualified 8.5 and received a JSA 8.5. When I tried to register the new JSA 8.5, CGC emailed with this explanation: The Registry doesn't currently support JSA books but we're hoping to have that programming in place by the end of the year.

The JSA 8.5 is in the current ComicLink auction because I was able to upgrade to this 9.4 recently. 

image.png.45bf1fdd457ab7f4d76519e61c8e544e.png

ASM 39 CGC 8.5 JSA STAN LEE.jpg

ASM 39 CGC 9.4.jpg

I think I had heard that little nugget about the registry and JSA books somewhere.  I was thinking of subbing a book or 2 for JSA, so at least I'll know what to expect - thanks.  I think you're doing pretty well with the upgrade tho!  (thumbsu

On 9/1/2024 at 8:50 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Yeah, that book will climb much higher than that.  Not sure what your budget, is but $3,720 is less than 50% of what the ultimate hammer price will likely be.

You were spot-on @Sweet Lou 14...final hammer was $7500 with BP...wish I still had my restored copy...

The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 (Marvel, 1964) CGC VF/NM 9.0 | Lot #91191 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

ASMANN1.jpg

Edited by trmoore54

On 9/14/2024 at 11:20 AM, MattTheDuck said:

As mentioned yesterday, an upgrade from @pickycollector

ASM - 92 - 2.jpg

My old copy, one of the first ASM back issues that I did purchase when I decided to start collecting US comics. I remember paying $5 CAD for it in 1986, it took a long time before I could upgrade it!