• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,460 posts in this topic

201-300-- This is the run I grew up during and initially got hooked on and it's probably the biggest distractor to my SA run I'm working on :)

You'd be proud though Richard; my ASM 201-300 run is actually a high grade run (F/VF - NM). BAs are closer to the mid grade range though... kinda drops off in grade the further you go back.

Mine were all that range before I sold them too. My ASM230 was in F but every other book that I had in my run from 160-400 were all in VF/NM - NM/NM+. Someone got a mad deal when I sold all those in 2003/2004 for around 450 bucks as there was a copy of 300 in 9.6 shape and all McFarlanes in 9.4-9.8. Some real nice books I got rid of there. Ah what I've done to feed my high graded books. I also sold my X-Men 120 - 320 run to fund the graded ASM's.

After I'm done my 201-300 run I'm debating going Timely Human Torch & Marvel Mystery or Silver age spidey. Not 100% which way I'm heading yet.

BIG FRIGGIN CHOICE THOUGH>

Good advice was given to me by Richard AKA MrBedrock

This is what he had to say on the matter:

"As they say in other places, 'diversify your portfolio!" Get some Spideys and a few Timelys. Whichever comes along that is most comfortable grade/price wise. Then you have trade bait (that will appreciate either way) if you decide down the road that one appeals more than the other or you need the funds to finish a run.

I will say this...once you get a nice Timely book in your hands I promise you will notwant to ever let go of it!"

Time will tell I suppose when I'm done my run as to what direction I shoot.

Best,

Richard

"I will say this...once you get a nice Timely book in your hands I promise you will notwant to ever let go of it!"

:signofftopic: ... and damn true! :cloud9:

"I will say this...once you get a nice Timely book in your hands I promise you will notwant to ever let go of it!"

:signofftopic: ... and damn true! :cloud9:

lol so I hear.

You've dipped into that end of the pool now as well haven't ya Jon?

Back to spideys after this question............. :-)

Good thread and nice job on your collection so far Jon. Any updates since your first posting of the thread? Get #1 or 2 yet? I don't have time to read through it all right now.

I did! I finished the #1-64 run I mentioned in the first post of the thread.

Here's the book I bought when I sold my 9.8 ASM #300. (The pattern of chipping may jog your memory, as you congratulated me at the time...) (:

1791732-asm1low.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhh yes. To get a copy of ASM#1 for any copy of ASM300 is crazy. Glad you nabbed that up and at a minimal cost really as the 300's are readily available if you ever wanted to nab another up in high grade.

I zip through so many posts and whatnot that I sometimes forget whether ppl filled voids or not. That is one hell of a gap to fill though Jon. Congrats again sir!

Richard

:foryou:

Actually, I already picked up a second ASM #300. A sharp copy that any normal human being would say looks identical to the $1K #300 I sold...but it has a series of tiny spine ticks on the back. And cost 25 bucks! Crazy. :grin:

And yes, to your point above...these days I've sworn off SA & BA, and I'm all GA all the time. I love it. It definitely gets in your blood!

It is a beauty that's for sure.

here's my most expensive ASM-9.8 to date running me $500.00USD. My newly obtained ASM201/202 were close to this price but a tad under and I should have scans of them soon as well for viewing.

A 26 year old ASM CGC 9.8 that is 1/5 in the Census and with it's black cover almost never comes onto the market in any site:

ASM220.jpg

And yes, to your point above...these days I've sworn off SA & BA, and I'm all GA all the time. I love it. It definitely gets in your blood!

:o:P

Jon- that is an AMAZING deal you got for the ASM 300/ASM1! And really, nice presentability on the front cover. As fast as my SA ASM collection is growing, I know that #1 will probably elude me for a little while. Still, 30+ issues to worry about before crossing that bridge. :)

Richard, since you seem to have the "diease of completionism," I would suggest going with the ASM series for three reasons: 1. you've already got 201-300, why not get the whole damn series? 2. it's a title that is always in demand and I can't imagine seeing it drop off anytime soon (so prices probably won't get toooo much better), but more importantly 3. they're a lot of fun to read. Cap- same reasons for you too!-) I really can't say about the Timely comics as I don't have any experience with them. Still, MrBedrock's advice sounds pretty solid. I know that when I've had people offer to make some trades, I'm pretty limited on what I have because my collection is really, really focused; there's nothing I can really afford to trade off. If I had a wider spread of titles, might be a little easier for me.

And Blue... that ASM 45 is really, really beautiful. Wonder what it must have been like flipping through a book that old in that condition?

Picked this one up from CycleGirl.

ASM30.jpg

(thumbs u Great Cover. I was never a big fan of that story. It somehow didn't fit well into the continuity.

Picked this one up from CycleGirl.

ASM30.jpg

(thumbs u Great Cover. I was never a big fan of that story. It somehow didn't fit well into the continuity.

It was kind of disjointed but needed. It was the end of Betty Brant and Pete's relationship.

Leaving the door wide open for that blonde bombshell (Not Millie the Model) Gwen Stacy who makes her first apperarance in the nesxt issue.