• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,476 posts in this topic

Just joined the forums here and wow I'm impressed with some of the collections. I haven't collected in about 10 years now (since I was 14, now I'm 24) and going to be starting up again somewhat soon and organizing all of my stuff. If I remember my stat as a kid I had nearly two thirds of the first run of ASM, with an average amount of pre 100 comics. Looking forward to talking to everyone and getting to know ya!

Welcome!!!! Great to have another Spidey maniac on the boards!!!! :cool:

Welcome SpiderMurphy and Peaky!

Hello all. I scanned a couple of my nicer Romita Spideys for the SA Survivor thread, but won't be posting them all. Here are the books that didn't make the "favorite covers" cut.

Also, a question for those in the grading know. The OO of some of these books was tracking where he purchased them. He'd write "bought at (insert drugstore here)" at the bottom of the splash page below the indicia. How much does this knock the grade down?

amazing_spiderman_045a.jpg

amazing_spiderman_053a.jpg

More Romita.

amazing_spiderman_062a.jpg

amazing_spiderman_071a.jpg

If those are the books I don't think it will knock down the grade very much (maybe 0.5-1.0). I couldn't see it knocking down the grade more than 1.0. I suppose it might depend on how obtrusive the writing is. Was it done with pencil, or pen, or Marker, or what? How big is the writing, etc... The fact is, I really don't know.

What I do know is those are some Super nice Spidey's!!!! :headbang:

Look! It's the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree Pedigree ASM#1!!! :applause: Show us the back!

No scan.

The back cover is missing and replaced with a blank piece of glossy paper.

Missing a non-story page too if I counted right.

:(

It's still a Spidey #1... if thats not cool, I don't know what is. :grin:

Yes. :cloud9:

But it's always sad to see a comic in such brutal shape.

If those are the books I don't think it will knock down the grade very much (maybe 0.5-1.0). I couldn't see it knocking down the grade more than 1.0. I suppose it might depend on how obtrusive the writing is. Was it done with pencil, or pen, or Marker, or what? How big is the writing, etc... The fact is, I really don't know.

Thanks Blind Owl!

Here's an example of the writing showing up on the cover. It looks like ball point pen. In some issues it's on the "sweet spot" of the splash. (The place at the bottom of the page where artists sometimes sign.) They're nice books, so I'd be happy with just a point off the grade.

amazing_spiderman_055a.jpg

amazing_spiderman_056a.jpg

Thanks Blind Owl!

Here's an example of the writing showing up on the cover. It looks like ball point pen. In some issues it's on the "sweet spot" of the splash. (The place at the bottom of the page where artists sometimes sign.) They're nice books, so I'd be happy with just a point off the grade.

amazing_spiderman_055a.jpg

Neisner's! There's a blast from the past. Do you know where the book came from?

Jack

Jack

If memory serves, I think the guy I bought them off of came from the Rochester,NY area. This is back in the early 90's. He sold me his near complete Romita run because he was saving up to buy a steadicam. He was getting out of comics and getting into film. So, I assume Rochester is where they came from. If not, he got them in Chicago.

Neisner's. Never heard of the place. What was it, a drug store?

Pete

Jack

If memory serves, I think the guy I bought them off of came from the Rochester,NY area. This is back in the early 90's. He sold me his near complete Romita run because he was saving up to buy a steadicam. He was getting out of comics and getting into film. So, I assume Rochester is where they came from. If not, he got them in Chicago.

Neisner's. Never heard of the place. What was it, a drug store?

Pete

An old "dime store".

The one I remember was in northern OH. I don't know how widespread the chain was -- maybe northeast and midwest? I was surprised to see the name -- haven't thought of it for years.

Jack

(old fudd mumbling into his gruel)