• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,460 posts in this topic

I'm not a big fan of either the cover or even The Enforcers in general. Just me though. Tom, I'm amazed that you were able to keep a book like this in such fine, fine shape. Doesn't even look read (though I KNOW you read your comics ;) ).

I would call this a simplistic cover, not simple. It doesn't really convey the menacing feel that the Enforcers should. They're just standing there. Maybe take someone hostage, or tossing Spidey aside--something that conveys who they are other than a couple of typical hoods. When you look at any cover in from 1-9, or even 11-20, I'm afraid this one gets a bit of a thumbs down for me. Easily the weakest cover in the first 20 books.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean I don't love Steve's work all the same!

I like the simplicity. It gets the message across easily while holding back mystery of where they are and any other conditions of the fight (like is Aunt May sick, are the cops on there way, in an enclosed space...) which make an ASM interesting.

I'ts called "Ditko sucks syndrome". Every once in a while a Ditko Spider-fan wakes from their trance, suddenly, to their horror, they can see Ditko for the artist he is.

:o

Ouch! How do you really feel? :D

The OP's question gave me the greenlight, I've been waiting a long time to get that one off. :whistle:

I was being critical of this cover as a rare exception...and it is interesting to me that it's also a rare Ditko-Kirby collaboration...but I am a HUGE Ditko fan...he's always been in my Top 2 along with Kirby...some days I have a hard time establishing who's my No. 1 of the two... :headbang:

Having said that...we don't allow Ditko bashers here on our ASCT! :o:makepoint:

I like the simplicity. It gets the message across easily while holding back mystery of where they are and any other conditions of the fight (like is Aunt May sick, are the cops on there way, in an enclosed space...) which make an ASM interesting.

I'ts called "Ditko sucks syndrome". Every once in a while a Ditko Spider-fan wakes from their trance, suddenly, to their horror, they can see Ditko for the artist he is.

The OP's question gave me the greenlight, I've been waiting a long time to get that one off. :whistle:

I was being critical of this cover as a rare exception...and it is interesting to me that it's also a rare Ditko-Kirby collaboration...but I am a HUGE Ditko fan...he's always been in my Top 2 along with Kirby...some days I have a hard time establishing who's my No. 1 of the two... :headbang:

Tom,

I have a confession, I posted that comment to bait Spider-man fans. While no fan, I recognize Amazing Spider-Man as Marvels flagship title and I also have great respect for Steve Ditko. I will not resort to this type of post(baiting) again as it did not work anyway.

yeah i was also suprised that there wasnt more uproar against that 'ditko sucks syndrome' comment

I've heard it said this thread is too mellow for uproarious behavior.

There's always room for some uproarious behavior.......

yeah i was also suprised that there wasnt more uproar against that 'ditko sucks syndrome' comment

Especially with you around. :kidaround:

Especially with you around. :kidaround:

We come here to rest...yeah, it is pretty laid back here...we reserve our s h i t e for the Comics General board... :devil::roflmao:

Tom,

I have a confession, I posted that comment to bait Spider-man fans. While no fan, I recognize Amazing Spider-Man as Marvels flagship title and I also have great respect for Steve Ditko. I will not resort to this type of post(baiting) again as it did not work anyway.

Whoa whoa whoa, flagship title? Surely that belongs to Fantastic Four. The first of the new Marvel titles. If FF had struck out ASM and the rest would never have come about. As every new character was introduced, including Spidey, Marvel would cross them into FF or cross FF into their title to establish the new character. FF brought about Dr Doom, Galactis, Silver Surfer, the Watcher, the Submariner and the Impossible Man, what the butter cup did Spidey bring about?

Tom,

Whoa whoa whoa, flagship title? Surely that belongs to Fantastic Four. The first of the new Marvel titles. If FF had struck out ASM and the rest would never have come about. As every new character was introduced, including Spidey, Marvel would cross them into FF or cross FF into their title to establish the new character. FF brought about Dr Doom, Galactis, Silver Surfer, the Watcher, the Submariner and the Impossible Man, what the butter cup did Spidey bring about?

Hey Torchy...go back to your FF Thread... :o

No seriously, just kidding...it's a toss-up in my mind...just like I mentioned re. Kirby-Ditko, it's ASM and FF #1 and 2 for me...ASM probably has moved out to the forefront, but you're right, FF made it all happen (too bad they can't do a better job with the movies)...anyway, for today I'll call it a tie... :headbang:

Spider-man rules the roost these days. It's a bit scary to see how far the "World's Greatest Comic Magazine" has fallen.

Spidey's the flagship, but FF clearly opened the door for Marvel to take off with. Despite my love for Steve, there's no question that Jack's the King of the Roost. His work is equally important, but where he gets the lead over Ditko is the sheer amount of quality work he produced. It's Kirby in 1st with Ditko in a very respectable 2nd.

And the SA ASM thread is too cool for the FD of the other areas of this forum. ;)

Spidey's the flagship, but FF clearly opened the door for Marvel to take off with. Despite my love for Steve, there's no question that Jack's the King of the Roost. His work is equally important, but where he gets the lead over Ditko is the sheer amount of quality work he produced. It's Kirby in 1st with Ditko in a very respectable 2nd.

And the SA ASM thread is too cool for the FD of the other areas of this forum. ;)

FD?

Frankly, Ditko wouldn't rank anywhere near 2nd place for me. He wasn't bad but....