• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,461 posts in this topic

For those of us wanting to land a low-grade AF #15 in the near to distant future, let's hope a certain auction currently on ebay isn't indicative of the future. That AF #15 in CGC 0.5 (slightly brittle pages) is now over $1,000 with nearly a day left. :whatthe: :think: There is no grade below a 0.5. :think: I guess there is a PQ below "slightly brittle." Um, brittle. :yeahok:

I honestly didn't think this copy would eclipse a grand. Thoughts? Ruminations? Lamentations? Rebukes against panic?

\

Yikes, I saw that copy. Its low grade indeed. It's going up faster than my AF15 fund.

Personaly, I was hoping it would stay around the 600.00-900.00 range but I had a feeling it was going to move beyond that point. So do you think this auction will set a president? I mean cause some type of ripple effect on the lower to mid grade AF15 books?

Edited by WiseGuyX

I agree with you guys that I thought it was more of an $800-900 book, but I don't find this too startling. Key book, everyone wants one (if not to own, then to flip), yadda yadda. It just takes a few ebayers who aren't too concerned about page quality...and if you can get past that, it's a decent-looking low-grader. I guess the days when any copy finishes under $1K are probably slipping away.

For those of us wanting to land a low-grade AF #15 in the near to distant future, let's hope a certain auction currently on ebay isn't indicative of the future. That AF #15 in CGC 0.5 (slightly brittle pages) is now over $1,000 with nearly a day left. :whatthe: :think: There is no grade below a 0.5. :think: I guess there is a PQ below "slightly brittle." Um, brittle. :yeahok:

I honestly didn't think this copy would eclipse a grand. Thoughts? Ruminations? Lamentations? Rebukes against panic?

:banana: better for the guys who own one!

:banana: better for the guys who own one!

:frown:

Personaly, I was hoping it would stay around the 600.00-900.00 range but I had a feeling it was going to move beyond that point. So do you think this auction will set a president? I mean cause some type of ripple effect on the lower to mid grade AF15 books?

Quite the opposite I think, better grade books keep climbing and force buyers to settle for lower grade books. I can't imagine this auction setting a president, you gotta vote for him. lol

Quite the opposite I think, better grade books keep climbing and force buyers to settle for lower grade books. I can't imagine this auction setting a president, you gotta vote for him. lol

It's just my opinion but you would think we place a vote each and everytime we buy a book. I mean doens't groups like the GPA and Price guide analize info from sites like ComicLink and Ebay to figure out volume of a comic and price?

Still... this book really makes my brain go one of two ways: 1. those of us without one are :censored: cause the prices will never stop skyrocketing or 2. the prices might settle back down...on the low grades at least. Deep down, I'm kind of leaning towards the latter which is what keeps me from being in the group overpaying for 0.5 PR copies like this one.

Bottom line is that the US economy is , and it's not going to be getting better in the next year or two. Therefore, I have a hard time believing that people who are straining under the cost of fuel and other increased costs will be able to continue to push the prices on these lower grade (and once-affordable) books up. I'm not saying we'll see them drop down in value, but I do think the price rises will cool for a while. Sorry, but a near 40-50% jump from GPA, hard to believe that sort of increase can keep going. Once the economy picks back up however...

But, I'm an English guy and not an economist so take that little rant with a grain (or twenty) of salt. :grin:

Still... this book really makes my brain go one of two ways: 1. those of us without one are :censored: cause the prices will never stop skyrocketing or 2. the prices might settle back down...on the low grades at least. Deep down, I'm kind of leaning towards the latter which is what keeps me from being in the group overpaying for 0.5 PR copies like this one.

Bottom line is that the US economy is , and it's not going to be getting better in the next year or two. Therefore, I have a hard time believing that people who are straining under the cost of fuel and other increased costs will be able to continue to push the prices on these lower grade (and once-affordable) books up. I'm not saying we'll see them drop down in value, but I do think the price rises will cool for a while. Sorry, but a near 40-50% jump from GPA, hard to believe that sort of increase can keep going. Once the economy picks back up however...

But, I'm an English guy and not an economist so take that little rant with a grain (or twenty) of salt. :grin:

Yes sir, but I don't feel like this push on low grade books is because of some intent to drive prices up wards. I think someone stated, the increase on high grades is making lower grades look better to people like us who can't aford to drop 5,000.00 or 15,000.00 on a single book.

Anyhow, whats really got me wondering about this is the sudden maga increase of low level key books in high grade. An example is ASM 129. One sold for like 14,000.00 :o I like the Punisher as much as the next guy but not enough to trade in my car for it. This sort of thing will only put pressure on the lower grades causing them to spike.

Well it's a little early to go poping the cork on the bottle but...I won the auction :o I'm so excited but I wasn't sure how to mention it. There was more than one person bidding on it and they lost. So I feel a little bad about it. I started watching this book from day one thinking it was a good chance to pick of a copy since it was in such bad shape.

Anyhow, it's not home yet but here is my soon to be copy of AF15 :cloud9:

AF15.jpg

Well it's a little early to go poping the cork on the bottle but...I won the auction :o I'm so excited but I wasn't sure how to mention it. There was more than one person bidding on it and they lost. So I feel a little bad about it. I started watching this book from day one thinking it was a good chance to pick of a copy since it was in such bad shape.

Anyhow, it's not home yet but here is my soon to be copy of AF15 :cloud9:

AF15.jpg

:whatthe: I'm speechless (this doesn't happen often). Well, in the end, you have one and I don't. :sorry: Congrats though! :smile: