• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,461 posts in this topic

Nice solid VF here.

ASM26_front.jpg

Highest number I needed while working towards a full run. Only need 2-4, 6, 7, 9-11, 13 - 15, 19 - 23.

First and only ASM 9.8 on Pedigree Grand Auction! :o

Wonder what this one will fetch??!! :headbang:

I guess this is a new Bogata (New Jersey) Collection...is it a certified Pedigree Collection? Anyone know anything else of the collection? And while we're on the topic, who ultimately determines a collection to be a bona-fide Pedigree?

http://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction-detail.php?issue_id=32417

Description from the Auction:

BEST EXISTING COPY! World's first and only NM/M example. It has taken over 10 years, but finally there is a 9.8 of this all-time classic Amazing Spider-Man issue. You just couldn't imagine a nicer comic book than this mid-1966 blazer. It was purchased by the original owner off of a newsstand in Bogota, New Jersey, carefully stored for the past 45 years and then just recently given to Pedigree Comics, Inc. to have CGC certified. The book is PERFECT!! Just check out the top and bottom of the spine, the other 2 corners, the spine and the edges. Plus, it is exactly centered with exact staple placement. Features the origin of the Green goblin in a fantastic Stan Lee story with a masterpiece cover by John Romita and Mike Esposito.

asm40ga9.jpg

Amazing #40 there. How had I missed this thread? I'll add pics soon.

A. Now you need to read all 341 pages! :baiting:

B. Now you need to post your recently won ASM 44 CGC 9.4! :frustrated:

C. Now you need to find me an ASM 44 CGC 9.4! :pullhair:

lol

t

First and only ASM 9.8 on Pedigree Grand Auction! :o

Wonder what this one will fetch??!! :headbang:

I'm fairly surprised this one isn't selling privately to Brulato. The guys paying his types of prices from last year seem to be out of the market, but maybe Doug knows differently. (shrug)

Now this is my kind of thread!

Long story short:

Used to have a massive collection of Marvels. Near complete runs of all major titles.

I had Spider-man 1-251 (No AF #15).

Sold everything about 12 years ago.

Now I just got back into collecting.

I am starting with Spider-man.

I've already managed to grab most issues from 150-251, and I've started to put a dent in the early stuff--have 10-12, 15, 19, etc.

We just had our first baby, so if the wife asks these are for Xander when he grows up.

Welcome, and this is the place to be to manage the collecting. You can pick stuff up here that is much safer than say eBay, not completely secure but much safer. Most of the good sellers you find elsewhere are members here. I'll myself be starting to list my spares very soon. Regards,

Now this is my kind of thread!

Long story short:

Used to have a massive collection of Marvels. Near complete runs of all major titles.

I had Spider-man 1-251 (No AF #15).

Sold everything about 12 years ago.

Now I just got back into collecting.

I am starting with Spider-man.

I've already managed to grab most issues from 150-251, and I've started to put a dent in the early stuff--have 10-12, 15, 19, etc.

We just had our first baby, so if the wife asks these are for Xander when he grows up.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS fellow Spidey lover! :headbang:

I was recently skimming through an Official Marvel Index to Amazing Spider-Man and I noticed the back cover was a reprint of an alternate (unused) cover for ASM #10 by Ditko.

I was just curious if anyone had any background as to why Ditko's cover wasn't used, in favor of the Ditko/Kirby cover. Are there many other known "unused" covers for the rest of the early issues? Personally, I kinda liked the alternate Ditko cover for #10 better than what was used . . . ASM #10 has always been one of my least favorite covers of the early run.

Alternate "Ditko" cover:

ASM10AlternateCover.jpg

The one everyone knows well:

ASM1094.jpg

I was recently skimming through an Official Marvel Index to Amazing Spider-Man and I noticed the back cover was a reprint of an alternate (unused) cover for ASM #10 by Ditko.

I was just curious if anyone had any background as to why Ditko's cover wasn't used, in favor of the Ditko/Kirby cover. Are there many other known "unused" covers for the rest of the early issues? Personally, I kinda liked the alternate Ditko cover for #10 better than what was used . . . ASM #10 has always been one of my least favorite covers of the early run.

Alternate "Ditko" cover:

ASM10AlternateCover.jpg

The one everyone knows well:

ASM1094.jpg

Yeah, I've got to agree with you. That alternate cover is MUCH better than the one actually used. (thumbs u

What the hell were they thinking? :makepoint:

I have heard the story before - can't remember why - someone will. The cover used blows big time. Kirby drew one part and Ditko the other I believe (shrug)

Ditko drew a cover for AF#15 which is shown in Marvel Tales #137 but I don't know if it was done at the time or afterwards.

Hey guys,

It's been four years and a long trek, but last night this thread reached 100,000 views!

spideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gifspideyclap.gif

Cheers to all the Spidey-lovers here, past and present (and to Flee for this great graphic). ;):applause:

I have heard the story before - can't remember why - someone will. The cover used blows big time. Kirby drew one part and Ditko the other I believe (shrug)

Ditko drew a cover for AF#15 which is shown in Marvel Tales #137 but I don't know if it was done at the time or afterwards.

Both of those #10 covers are Ditko, at least that's what my artistic eye is telling me. I'll eat my hat if Kirby did either of them. Here's Ditko's version of the AF15 cover:

AmazingFantasy15Alt.jpg

Swiping one of the books in the new CL auction, I noticed the newer CGC label lists the cover by Ditko/Kirby. Though right now, that's all I have to go by. Seems like there may be some story behind it then that someone hopefully has more info on. Otherwise, looks like I'm gonna have to try to do a lot more diggin or it's gonna bug me now.

ASM10-2.jpg

Swiping one of the books in the new CL auction, I noticed the newer CGC label lists the cover by Ditko/Kirby. Though right now, that's all I have to go by. Seems like there may be some story behind it then that someone hopefully has more info on. Otherwise, looks like I'm gonna have to try to do a lot more diggin or it's gonna bug me now.

ASM10-2.jpg

Kirby drew Spidey and Ditko drew the Enforcers. Word had it that Stan was not happy with the original #10 cover...can't remember exactly the reason...probably thought it was too busy...or it may have been something about the prominence of the gun...regardless, they had to hastily put a new cover together and this is what they came up with. Not one of my favorites, as Spidey appears vritually 2-dimensional.

In previous discussions though, I was surprised to see so many people that like it and defended it...

There are posts/threads that show other alternate covers here and I believe in this thread but I'm not real slick with the search thingy...

Edited by trmoore54