• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,437 posts in this topic

Just now, comicquant said:

Awesome copy Bob!!!

Thanks. I've had different copies before but my OCD regarding Spidey's face in the yellow banner near the bottom drove me nuts. Often, the eyes are cut off. It's analogous to the double quote on a TOS 39, if you are familiar with that.

7 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Thanks. I've had different copies before but my OCD regarding Spidey's face in the yellow banner near the bottom drove me nuts. Often, the eyes are cut off. It's analogous to the double quote on a TOS 39, if you are familiar with that.

Oh yes, I know that one.  I'm an OCD driven collector myself.  Wraps, staples, cream pages (for SA mostly) all tweak my OCD.  Then there are issues that get me.  The "S" in the Spider-Man in the lower yellow quote box on asm 13, the left ear on asm 17, the "L" on asm 10!  I've got a big list too!

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Yeah, yours is pretty close to perfect with his little face. Mine posted is only OK but some are much worse. I avoid any with too much off the face.

The challenge is in covers with interesting stuff on their tops and bottoms.

Oh where to draw the line...:cry:

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Oh yes, I know that one.  I'm an OCD driven collector myself.  Wraps, staples, cream pages (for SA mostly) all tweak my OCD.  Then there are issues that get me.  The "S" in the Spider-Man in the lower yellow quote box on asm 13, the left ear on asm 17, the "L" on asm 10!  I've got a big list too!

Let me add myself to the OCD club JP! :headbang:  Btw, awesome #100 Bob!  Here's mine:

asm 100139.jpg

You're right (thumbsu 

And I'm really torn about this book.  It's unpressed and per the grader's notes has a non-color breaking bend on the bottom edge that lowers the grade (it's visible upon close inspection).  I feel it could press out to a 9.4 or possibly 9.6 but I'm reluctant to do it.  I just feel like leaving it unmanipulated and unpressed, although it has so much upgrade potential. But I could change my mind down the road hm

asm #100 new384.jpg

Edited by mosconi

9 hours ago, mosconi said:

You're right (thumbsu 

And I'm really torn about this book.  It's unpressed and per the grader's notes has a non-color breaking bend on the bottom edge that lowers the grade (it's visible upon close inspection).  I feel it could press out to a 9.4 or possibly 9.6 but I'm reluctant to do it.  I just feel like leaving it unmanipulated and unpressed, although it has so much upgrade potential. But I could change my mind down the road hm

asm #100 new384.jpg

Sweet book. If the book is staying in your collection, leave it alone. If you ever decide to sell, then get it pressed. I've had a couple bad experiences on books in my personal collection that I tried to 'process'. I've learned to leave them alone.

On 9/17/2017 at 0:41 AM, N e r V said:

Yeah, yours is pretty close to perfect with his little face. Mine posted is only OK but some are much worse. I avoid any with too much off the face.

The challenge is in covers with interesting stuff on their tops and bottoms.

Oh where to draw the line...:cry:

The #100 cover drove my OCD nuts.  I've owned 3 copies before I finally found the one that I could live with.  The wrap was one thing but finding one with the face and yellow banner that I could live with was the hard part.  You can tell that the art does extend below the cut but I don't believe any copies in HG exist that show the full round circle spidey face without also cutting off the "G" in the title or the comics code box or even the price box on the top edge.  Trying to even determine what is the most symmetrically "centered" about that issue is entirely subjective as sometimes the semi-circle spidey face wtih the cut right below the eyes looks best but other times the yellow banner tapering to a point at the BLFC corner looks more symmetric. 

This one has the most of the face I've seen but if not for the miswrap and off-center cut you can tell that the "G" in AMAZING would be nearly cut off if it was more perfectly cut/wrapped.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/the-amazing-spider-man-100-marvel-1971-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/121635-14119.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515#

The OA for that issue doesn't actually have the full spidey face circle but clearly also has more art above the title of which both top or bottom get sacrificed during the printing and cutting phase. 

http://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=462510

The really interesting thing to note when comparing these two images is that the bottom half of the printed issue spidey circle face does not actually match the one on the OA.  Look at the shape of the center webbing down from the center of spidey's eyes.  Plus it appears the OA is cut off after the first band of webbing whereas the printed issue has 2 visible bands of webbing. See below:

59c016cc6dc46_ASM100OAvsissue.jpg.ee901e950bccbe786a43b85210d18db0.jpg

Looks almost like the banner or spidey circle in the OA was a recreation overlay or a 2nd drawing after the initial printing.  Of course I'm not sure how the whole transfer of OA to printing plate took place so it's possible the difference occurred only on the plate but not on the OA.  Sucks because I was really hoping to validate how much actual art was cut off from the OA when it went to printing/cutting.

Oddly, another discrepancy is on MJ's hair lines on the right side just above the spidey circle.  In the comic she has 3 full bands, a half band, and then 4 full bands.  In the OA she has 1 full band, a half band from the top, 2 full bands, another half band from the top, and then 3 more full bands.  Makes me wonder just how different the OA on most comics is to the actual printed issues.

Anywho, it no longer matters to me.  I'm happy with my copy. :)

I received two beauties today.  I wish Brian ( @ffasm58 ) and his family the best through these difficult times.  For those who don't know, Brian was recently diagnosed with cancer and is selling some of his collection to help with medical bills as well as provide for his family.  @loboagain is running a sales thread on Brian's behalf which consists of mostly high grade amazing books so please take a look.

IMG_8790.JPG

IMG_8792.JPG

Edited by comicquant

4 hours ago, comicquant said:

I received two beauties today.  I wish Brian ( @ffasm58 ) and his family the best through these difficult times.  For those who don't know, Brian was recently diagnosed with cancer and is selling some of his collection to help with medical bills as well as provide for his family.  @loboagain is running a sales thread on Brian's behalf which consists of mostly high grade amazing books so please take a look.

IMG_8790.JPG

IMG_8792.JPG

Nice grabs for a good cause.  In hindsight I wonder if the real reason Jameson was upset was not because his son was Man-Wolf, but rather the yellow romper his son was sporting.  

16 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

Wow, those high grade Spideys are killing me.  I'm a mid grade slab collector so far.  My lowest ish is # 11 (4.5)  which I picked up from a recent thread. 

Nothing wrong with that.  Just picked this up at Bmore and I'm thrilled to finally cross it off the list:

IMG_4940.JPG