• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,710 posts in this topic

On 6/16/2024 at 3:33 PM, Frisco Larson said:

While someday soon I hope to buy a nice grade certified copy, my raw Spidey #2 will always be my copy. It has sentimental value like few others. I bought it at the San Diego Comic Con in 1994. I'll never forget the circumstances surrounding its purchase. I made my rounds through the enormous facility and upon reaching a back corner, I looked down and see a Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 in a glass showcase!!! I was STUNNED!!! I'd certainly HEARD about the comic but never expected to actually HOLD one!!! The seller had $7500 on it, which seemed very reasonable to me, but I was a young man with a young family and a child in private school, so my stretched-to-the-max budget for comics was $1000 cash, with $1000 available on my comic book credit card. No WAY I could move on that book. I appreciated that the seller let me hold the book (I DID tell him up front that I couldn't afford it), so I wanted to buy something from him. He mostly had books for sale, likely expensive first editions and such, but he DID have a short box of comics too. Inside I spied my Spidey #2 and it cost me the princely sum of $90. 

Among the details above, other reasons why the book and that trip are so significant are that I met some of my longtime comic book buddies at that show. I'd already been buying books from Bill and CGCs President Matthew T Nelson at More Fun Comics in New Orleans for most of that year, but this was our first meeting in person. I also met my longtime pal, our very own @Straw-Man Billy there. I had the pleasure of having dinner with comic book legend Shelly Moldoff and his lovely wife (my wife and the aforementioned pals were also there). Also, if you've never been, the San Diego Comic Con made most every other show I'd been to look like a flea market by comparison ... the only show remotely close was the Chicago Comic Con ... and it wasn't that close. The comics available in that room .... simply amazing! So, I bought a Spidey #2 from a nice guy in the back corner! 

Amazing Spider-Man 2.jpg

Quite a memorable San Diego Comic Con story! :applause: My first SDCC was in 1985 and I believe this was the first time that Chuck Rozanski brought out his Mile High 2 collection.  I remember walking past his booth in complete amazement as I saw a wall filled with pristine Hulk #181's and I recall he also had several short boxes of these same books too.  I can't seem to remember what he was asking for the #181's (was it $40.00 or had to be more? hm).  My memories a little fuzzy as it was nearly 40 years ago but I'm sure there were plenty of 9.0's + available for the taking!  I don't remember any Spidey books off the top of my head that he had.  I know it's a long shot, but did anyone attend this San Diego con and have a better memory of what Chuck was offering there?

Here's an example of the books I recall seeing on his wall :drool: 

RAD0A7D6201913_11052.jpg

Edited by mosconi

On 6/17/2024 at 12:54 PM, mosconi said:

Quite a memorable San Diego Comic Con story! :applause: My first SDCC was in 1985 and I believe this was the first time that Chuck Rozanski brought out his Mile High 2 collection.  I remember walking past his booth in complete amazement as I saw a wall filled with pristine Hulk #181's and I recall he also had several short boxes of these same books too.  I can't seem to remember what he was asking for the #181's (was it $40.00 or had to be more? hm).  My memories a little fuzzy as it was nearly 40 years ago but I'm sure there were plenty of 9.0's + available for the taking!  I don't remember any Spidey books off the top of my head that he had.  I know it's a long shot, but did anyone attend this San Diego con and have a better memory of what Chuck was offering there?

Here's an example of the books I recall seeing on his wall :drool: 

RAD0A7D6201913_11052.jpg

Wow, what an awesome story and a killer copy!!! I love hearing boardies comic con stories!  (thumbsu

On 6/18/2024 at 8:02 AM, KirbyJack said:

I think we may have been off on this. Strange Tales annual 2 is tied for 5th.

I'm always ready to be wrong, but I think it goes like this for release dates;

Amazing Fantasy #15 - August - (June 5, 1962)

Amazing Spider-Man #1 - March - (December 10, 1962)

Amazing Spider-Man #2 - May - (February 12th, 1963)

Amazing Spider-Man #3 - July - (April 9th, 1963)

Amazing Spider-Man #4 - September - (June 11th, 1963)

Strange Tales Annual #2 - 1963 - (June 11th, 1963)

Fantastic Four Annual #1 - 1963 - (July 2nd, 1963)

Amazing Spider-Man #5 - October - (July 9th, 1963)

Amazing Spider-Man #6 - November - (August 8th, 1963)

Amazing Spider-Man #7 - December - (September 10th, 1963)

Strange Tales #115 - December - (September 10th, 1963)

Thanks. That's very helpful. I pasted this into a Word document on my desktop. The chronology always confuses me because of the dates on the CGC labels vs. the release dates. I figured I would throw out the Strange Tales Annual #2 to try to get the answer to this burning question. 

On 6/18/2024 at 8:24 AM, Lee Enterprises said:

This is my favorite ASM cover of all time (AF #15 is in its own category). I first saw an ASM #4 as a kid at B&D Comics in Roanoke, VA in the early 1980s. It was in a glass revolving showcase and it was $75. That was a lot of money to me as a kid so I didn't buy it and all I could do was dream of owning one. I've owned several since then starting with a bargain $20 mail order purchase that I no longer have (from Marty Hay if anyone remembers that mail order name). This CGC 9.0 is the best I've come up with so far. 

ASM 4 CGC 9.0.jpg

Take a look at that 6 10 date stamp on the cover. That June date fits with the release date timeframe we're talking about.