• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

15,898 posts in this topic

On 8/2/2024 at 9:07 AM, Straw-Man said:

tomorrow will be a good posting day!

Indeed. #50 is really a milestone issue with the 1st appearance of that very large man and his exquisite white jacket. 

On 8/2/2024 at 6:10 AM, rucnok said:

I was offered a spiderman #40 cgc 8.5...is this considering a key issue?

Some more 2c not all 8.5s or any grades for that matter are created equal.  I'd be happy to give more direct opinion of the purchase with some more information...but I have been away from these boards for a while and collecting in general so seek all the help/opinions you can get.  Math Teacher seems to be a proponent for pulling the trigger...without scans or book in hand I would not purchase any HG book unless it has fairly perfect structure and book alignment...and I don't like any white on the spine (from the BC)...usually a deal breaker for me...no less than OW-W pages...WHITE pages would be a bonus (probably not that at the offered price)...I don't mind clean date stamps but for some a deal breaker...and then it's just probably a matter of what the 1.5 worth of defects actually are.

Edited by trmoore54

On 8/2/2024 at 7:15 PM, trmoore54 said:

Some more 2c not all 8.5s or any grades for that matter are created equal.  I'd be happy to give more direct opinion of the purchase with some more information...but I have been away from these boards for a while and collecting in general so seek all the help/opinions you can get.  Math Teacher seems to be a proponent for pulling the trigger...without scans or book in hand I would not purchase any HG book unless it has fairly perfect structure and book alignment...and I don't like any white on the spine (from the BC)...usually a deal breaker for me...no less than OW-W pages...WHITE pages would be a bonus (probably not that at the offered price)...I don't mind clean date stamps but for some a deal breaker...and then it's just probably a matter of what the 1.5 worth of defects actually are.

@trmoore54 is correct. I wouldn't purchase any book unless I first had a chance to look at it.

On 8/2/2024 at 7:21 PM, MR SigS said:

Is the blue at the top actually on the book, or is it from scanning?

There's a very light blue tint which is part of the sky color at the top of the book, if that's what you're referring to.  There might be a bit of scanner glare that could be causing it to stand out more?  hm  

On 8/2/2024 at 5:15 PM, trmoore54 said:

Absolutely!  Many discerning and picky collectors have certain structural/visual qualities they look for in their books and I'm in agreement with your choices (thumbsu