• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

16,028 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2024 at 9:43 AM, Frisco Larson said:

She MIGHT have been .... I guess we should look behind some flowerpots and waving hands and such. :facepalm:  lol

Yea...   they dropped the ball with both Gwen and MJ.  The best female cover we get is Medusa in a few, and Gwen also makes her 1st cover appearance (1 of only 2 in the top 100) in a few as well.  Besides that all we get is a little Princess Python and Aunt May!  :p 

EDIT - Oh, we get Sue Storm in the background of ASM #1 too...  :boo:

Edited by pmpknface
Forgot....

On 8/12/2024 at 9:20 AM, pmpknface said:

Yea...   they dropped the ball with both Gwen and MJ.  The best female cover we get is Medusa in a few, and Gwen also makes her 1st cover appearance (1 of only 2 in the top 100) in a few as well.  Besides that all we get is a little Princess Python and Aunt May!  :p 

EDIT - Oh, we get Sue Storm in the background of ASM #1 too...  :boo:

Agreed! I've always felt, still do and probably always will, that Romita drew more appealing women than Ditko or Kirby did. However, there's another name that should be mentioned in that debate ... and that name is Jose Luis Duran! He was an artist working for Mexican publisher La Prensa, and he reportedly enjoyed drawing Gwen in particular and the covers I've seen display that feeling! The below pic isn't my copy (:cry:) but it's shared to illustrate his work. 

Amazing 180.jpg

On 8/12/2024 at 11:10 AM, Frisco Larson said:

Agreed! I've always felt, still do and probably always will, that Romita drew more appealing women than Ditko or Kirby did. However, there's another name that should be mentioned in that debate ... and that name is Jose Luis Duran! He was an artist working for Mexican publisher La Prensa, and he reportedly enjoyed drawing Gwen in particular and the covers I've seen display that feeling! The below pic isn't my copy (:cry:) but it's shared to illustrate his work. 

Amazing 180.jpg

Whoa...  Gwen is bootylicious!  :p 

On 8/12/2024 at 10:11 AM, pmpknface said:

Whoa...  Gwen is bootylicious!  :p 

He certainly DOES feature her prominently and some of the interior work is unlike anything we've seen here in our beloved Marvel issues! I'm curious to know if any of Marvels artists at that time were aware of Duran's work and what their opinion was of it. I've read that Duran was all about Gwen and not so much about MJ. It's interesting to me ... that different path.

On 8/13/2024 at 12:12 AM, pmpknface said:

Time to bring back the big guy!  The Kingpin is back in a tough black cover on ASM #60!  I'm willing to bet some of you have tracked down some killer WP / jet black colors.  So go ahead, and put mine to shame!  

ASM_60a.jpg

I've been looking for a nice #60 but haven't found just the right one yet so you already have me beat. :ohnoez: