• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

16,040 posts in this topic

When we do the FF run, "everyone" just moves over to the Bronze FF thread after the generally (but not universally) agreed "end of the Kirby run" denoting the end of the Silver issues.  The Bronze Spidey thread has many fewer posts than this one, so I'd suggest starting over there.

ASM - 79.jpg

On 6/14/2024 at 5:18 AM, Lee Enterprises said:

Let's get this Spider-Man party started...from where it all began!

Since I first saw it, I've always loved the AF #15 cover and of course the story. Over the years I've had unrestored copies in CGC 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5. The 1.5 was special because I was able to read an original raw copy before I sent it to CGC. I also had a really nice looking Susan Cicconi restored CGC 5.0. I was fortunate to win this AF #15 CGC 9.6 A-3 not too long ago. I love the near perfect look of the A-3 restoration and that it has not been trimmed. I know some people don't want restored books in their collections, but given the prices over the last several years, I've been on the lookout for some key books with great eye appeal at more "affordable" prices. Regardless of the condition of an AF #15, there aren't many comic covers that can compare with the introduction of THE AWESOME MIGHT OF...SPIDER-MAN!

image.png.2418392ee58b84cff466a86a91c104b2.png

Worth a repost!! :headbang: (worship)

On 9/1/2024 at 9:05 AM, MattTheDuck said:

When we do the FF run, "everyone" just moves over to the Bronze FF thread after the generally (but not universally) agreed "end of the Kirby run" denoting the end of the Silver issues.  The Bronze Spidey thread has many fewer posts than this one, so I'd suggest starting over there.

ASM - 79.jpg

So are we in consensus that issue 79/DEC 1969 is the end of the SA run?  MatttheDuck makes a good point.  The posting of AF15/1-79 started on p. 725/6.14.24 so 65 pp. (and about 2-1/2 months) ago to post those 80 issues plus foreign/alternate copies, annuals, cross-overs, etc.  Pretty sure I missed the first 9 or 10 books when this started...I'd be a vote to start over again... (shrug)

Edited by trmoore54
add text

On 9/1/2024 at 1:01 PM, trmoore54 said:

Worth a repost!! :headbang: (worship)

Thanks! I really like this book. I know some collectors here have some really nice unrestored AF15s locked away in their collections and I'm happy for them that they got in at the right time (and had the means to do so). They're just so expensive now. I had a chance back in 2005 or so to buy an unrestored AF15 CGC 7.0 for $14,000. All I had to do was click the button. It just seemed overpriced at the time (and was by several thousand dollars). I just shake my head now when I think about that logic. 

I also briefly had another AF15 that I didn't mention in my original AF15 post. It looked very high grade (around VF before CGC) and did not appear to be restored, but it had tan pages and interior covers (VERY tan like nearly brown, but not brittle). I returned it to the seller because he didn't disclose the page quality and I was very nervous to pay $10,000 for it (around 1999) because I didn't believe a book with that much tanning could be considered VF (using the old Overstreet Grading Guide and OWL page quality card, if you all remember that). In hindsight, that book likely would have been a long term winner too.

So, along with the books I mentioned in my original AF15 post to kickstart our current streak, that's the long, winding road to the one I have now. 

On 9/1/2024 at 12:05 PM, MattTheDuck said:

ASM - 79.jpg

We have some really good momentum going on this thread. It seems like there was a bit of a drop off once the FF streak switched to the Bronze FF thread. Do you think we would have better continuity staying here since this thread is technically the Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread! (covering all ASM eras...)?

Either way, I really enjoy taking breaks every day from the stress of work to see what's going on here and to view your collections. 

On 9/1/2024 at 11:53 AM, Lee Enterprises said:

We have some really good momentum going on this thread. It seems like there was a bit of a drop off once the FF streak switched to the Bronze FF thread. Do you think we would have better continuity staying here since this thread is technically the Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread! (covering all ASM eras...)?

Either way, I really enjoy taking breaks every day from the stress of work to see what's going on here and to view your collections. 

It seems to me that there are many fewer FF Bronze collectors here than Silver.  I suspect most of those posting here have long Bronze ASM runs as well, perhaps complete Bronze runs (my own kind of Peters out in the 200s).  On the other hand, I don't view the fact this thread is in the Silver Age Forum as some kind of straitjacket, although there may be some who do.  On the other, other hand there are likely collectors here who start in Bronze and may not visit the Silver Age Forum and so won't be able to participate.

On 9/1/2024 at 11:50 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Yeah, that book will climb much higher than that.  Not sure what your budget, is but $3,720 is less than 50% of what the ultimate hammer price will likely be.

I second that emotion. The ASM Annual 1 9.0 I just won in the recent CL auction went for $7,310 and that was (choking and wheezing sounds) a relative bargain compared to recent 9.0 sale prices since 2022. I was bidding for the beautiful 9.4 in the February CL auction, but someone wanted it more than I did (and I really wanted it). I just couldn't bring myself to go higher than the eventual $33,167 hammer price. I don't believe ComicLink sales report to GPA so the final price for the 9.0 currently up for auction with Heritage could end up more in line with recent prices (unless every single Heritage bidder was also watching the August CL auction price). 

This is just another example of a key book that has taken off without much of a let down in prices. Even with prices falling, collecting high grade CGC books has become a very expensive hobby. I'm still happy for everyone who got in years ago on this and many other key books. I was in at that point, but jumped out. It's been a challenge to rebuild in this bubble environment. 

image.png.d85684593240ef162395ea017127db79.png 

On 9/1/2024 at 1:15 PM, trmoore54 said:

So are we in consensus that issue 79/DEC 1969 is the end of the SA run?  MatttheDuck makes a good point.  The posting of AF15/1-79 started on p. 725/6.14.24 so 65 pp. (and about 2-1/2 months) ago to post those 80 issues plus foreign/alternate copies, annuals, cross-overs, etc.  Pretty sure I missed the first 9 or 10 books when this started...I'd be a vote to start over again... (shrug)

I knew this conversation was coming!  To me, and I doubt my opinion is popular or correct in most people's minds, the SA ends with #100 (9/71) and the bronze starts with #101.  There's hardly a definitive issue / story you can point to, but it seems like a good as place as any.  It's before the picture frame covers and would include the death of Captain Stacy and the drug issues.  Maybe it's a few before #100 with #96, but I don't see much difference in the covers between 80-100.  We're already including some $.15 issues too.  

I think each title has it's own transitional point, as was mentioned with FF above.  I'm willing to listed to opinions, anyone have other thoughts?  

On 9/1/2024 at 3:02 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It seems to me that there are many fewer FF Bronze collectors here than Silver.  I suspect most of those posting here have long Bronze ASM runs as well, perhaps complete Bronze runs (my own kind of Peters out in the 200s).  On the other hand, I don't view the fact this thread is in the Silver Age Forum as some kind of straitjacket, although there may be some who do.  On the other, other hand there are likely collectors here who start in Bronze and may not visit the Silver Age Forum and so won't be able to participate.

The SA vs BA forum location is a good point. 

I would vote to keep the run going on this thread for continuity among those already participating and to more easily access all the good posting history over the past several months. 

Thoughts?

IMHO Spidey's Bronze Age began with Gwen's death in issue 121. 2c

It's stretching the SA but thematically it's probably true.

On 9/1/2024 at 10:20 PM, grendelbo said:

IMHO Spidey's Bronze Age began with Gwen's death in issue 121. 2c

It's stretching the SA but thematically it's probably true.

Yeah, that's putting all of the picture-frame books in the Silver Age which I don't think many people would agree with.

I could be talked into stretching my Silver Age boundary as far as Spidey #100, or maybe #101 since it's the last 15-cent issue (and the last before the picture-frames), but no further.

On 9/1/2024 at 10:56 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Yeah, that's putting all of the picture-frame books in the Silver Age which I don't think many people would agree with.

I could be talked into stretching my Silver Age boundary as far as Spidey #100, or maybe #101 since it's the last 15-cent issue (and the last before the picture-frames), but no further.

Exactly.  And I think Morbius is a very BA character.  I know that story really starts in #100 (at least at the end) so I feel 100 is the tipping point.  

Well, it seems we're got enough players anyway.  Others are welcome to join in anytime!  GAME ON!  

As soon as you finish with #99, switch to the bronze age thread.

:idea: