• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
33 33

14,323 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

New comics typically arrived for sale about 3 months before the cover publication date.  Marvel and DC would have titles on regular schedules, so that about a quarter of the titles would invariably be shipped and available week 1, another quarter always in week 2, etc.  My recollection is that Hulk and Thor were in the first batch every month.  In my neck of the woods at the time (Southern New Jersey and then Philadelphia), new books would arrive on Wednesdays.  In 1981 when we lived in California and I returned to buying and reading comics regularly after a five year hiatus, there was the same timing to monthly distribution.

If a comic hadn't sold by the cover date, it was a candidate to have all or the top third of the cover ripped off and returned to the distributor as unsold for a refund.  Then at a local flea market some semi-unscrupulous comic sellers would sell the books with the top third or all of the front cover missing for the half price of ten cents or three for a quarter, which when I first started reading and collecting was a great, cheap way to buy recent back issues.

Great info!  From the other thread you had mentioned this July 1962 stamp was likely a return date stamp, which makes sense.  So would some retailers mark the return date on the book, instead of the arrival date, when they actually received it so they knew what the shelf life would be?

I am assuming that is how return stamps worked, this is my first time actually seeing one