• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
33 33

14,137 posts in this topic

I only pick on you straw man because you have the hands down best ff collection on these boards. Truly awesome. The prices are insane but also exciting. It’s a major barrier to catch up collectors like me. 18 left to get and it’s going to hurt!  My wallet not my pride. Then when I’m done I can start grooming for better copies. It’s a hobby. That’s what we do!  Could buy a boat instead but nawwww. Only 30 percent have slabs. Time and money. Be well

On 8/7/2021 at 10:11 PM, Math Teacher said:

I'm with @KirbyJack on this one. Earlier this year, I sold a FF #13 CGC 7.5 to help finance my AF #15 purchase. I purchased a new copy in May (I think), and it's on its way to CGC. It was sold as a Fine, but if I get a 5.0 or a 5.5, I'll be OK with that. I have a tremendous amount of respect for @Straw-Man's high grade collection; I wish he would designate me to receive it in his will. lol I would rather have low-grade copies of the major Marvel keys than have a super high-grade copy of FF #1 (or name any other key book other than AF #15). I am sure that I am in the minority on this.

I still have some collecting goals to reach, but, at some time, I have thought about working on a 10-issue high grade run of ASM or FF. I think I could ASM #51 - #60 or FF #51 - #60, even though I know how expensive a high-grade copy of FF #52 would be. I have also thought about getting high-grade copies of FF #39 - #40 (#39 is one of my all-time favorite covers) or FF #57 - #60 (because I love that story line). I am also working on getting high-grade copies of all Flash issues that feature The Trickster on the cover. I have #113 in 7.5, and I just purchased #152 in 8.0 from Pedigree Comics.

So many books, so little time, so little money....

When I started collecting the idea of just owning some of these big books was enough.  Even when prices were reasonable (by today's standards), it took alot to save and sell and find the right copy.  

It took me a literally half my lifetime to track them all down(19 - 20 years of my 38 year life), but I'm finally there.... And then I start seeing all the amazing books people have here and it makes me want start the slow and expensive process of upgrading them all. 

I tell myself that I'll be satisfied if I can upgrade my keys to the lower midgrade range, but I know I won't be.

I'll just keep moving the bar.