• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
33 33

14,064 posts in this topic

On 3/14/2022 at 11:22 AM, Straw-Man said:

very impressive.  i've never done that survey of mine.   other than darn well knowing how many under 9._ i have.

Thanks. I've got everything in an excel spreadsheet so it's always staring me in the face. :D

Pro tip to anyone else trying this: Start from #1 and move up, instead of backwards like I did. 

I used to have a very good FF Silver Age registry set, accumulated over a couple of decades.  Sold about 7 years ago, one can only imagine the value in today's market.  For issues 1-100:

• 9.8 = 2
  • 9.6 = 48
  • 9.4 = 33
  • 9.2 = 8
  • 9.0 = 5
  • 8.5 = 3
  • 6.5 = 1
  • Missing = 0 

And for the Annuals 1-7:

• 9.8 = 0
  • 9.6 = 3
  • 9.4 = 3
  • 9.2 = 1
Edited by namisgr

On 3/14/2022 at 12:05 PM, namisgr said:

I used to have a very good FF Silver Age registry set, accumulated over a couple of decades.  Sold in 2007, one can only imagine the value in today's market.  For issues 1-100:

• 9.8 = 2
  • 9.6 = 48
  • 9.4 = 33
  • 9.2 = 8
  • 9.0 = 5
  • 8.5 = 3
  • 6.5 = 1
  • Missing = 0 

And for the Annuals 1-7:

• 9.8 = 0
  • 9.6 = 3
  • 9.4 = 3
  • 9.2 = 1

Impressive!! That's a LOT of 9.6s.

On 3/14/2022 at 3:10 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

Impressive!! That's a LOT of 9.6s.

You'd very, very likely have more if you were to re-submit all those old label NMs.  Not saying I would trust the current iteration of the grading company to keep them all out of harm's way during the process or to show the consistency of standards of the past....

Edited by namisgr

On 3/14/2022 at 12:12 PM, namisgr said:

You'd very, very likely have more if you were to re-submit all those old label NMs.

Yeah, I've resubmitted a few old label 9.2s and got 9.4s, but I'll leave the 9.4+ alone, because of the expense and it's unlikely that I'll sell anytime soon.

On 3/15/2022 at 6:05 AM, namisgr said:

I used to have a very good FF Silver Age registry set, accumulated over a couple of decades.  Sold about 7 years ago, one can only imagine the value in today's market.  For issues 1-100:

• 9.8 = 2
  • 9.6 = 48
  • 9.4 = 33
  • 9.2 = 8
  • 9.0 = 5
  • 8.5 = 3
  • 6.5 = 1
  • Missing = 0 

And for the Annuals 1-7:

• 9.8 = 0
  • 9.6 = 3
  • 9.4 = 3
  • 9.2 = 1

What have you got left?

I sold everything a while back, so I'm a "rebuild" collector now... I'm not sure when I'll loose that title to be honest.

On 3/14/2022 at 1:46 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

Thanks. I've got everything in an excel spreadsheet so it's always staring me in the face. :D

Pro tip to anyone else trying this: Start from #1 and move up, instead of backwards like I did. 

I call this @oakman29's Cardinal Rule to Comic Collecting:  Start with the biggest keys and work your way down.  It really is solid advice as the gains for keys almost always outpace gains for non-keys.  (thumbsu

On 3/16/2022 at 10:06 AM, namisgr said:

The topic was slabbed FFs from 1-100.  (shrug)

My bad, I've seen you had great runs across multiple titles.  I was talking in the broadest sense of your collection.   You had some serious quality runs.   I'm curious to know what you held onto.   

I sold mine, but did hold onto a few favourites.   Surfer, Doctor Strange, Groo.. 

On 3/15/2022 at 3:08 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I call this @oakman29's Cardinal Rule to Comic Collecting:  Start with the biggest keys and work your way down.  It really is solid advice as the gains for keys almost always outpace gains for non-keys.  (thumbsu

Yep. 40 years ago I went for the ASM 1, AF 15, F.F. 1, Showcase 4. 22 etc. Figuring that the main keys will always be harder to come by, so I got those outta the way. Not thinking that they would be astronomically expensive later, just thought it would be the best way to move through my runs. The prices are just a bonus.

On 3/15/2022 at 4:24 PM, oakman29 said:

Yep. 40 years ago I went for the ASM 1, AF 15, F.F. 1, Showcase 4. 22 etc. Figuring that the main keys will always be harder to come by, so I got those outta the way. Not thinking that they would be astronomically expensive later, just thought it would be the best way to move through my runs. The prices are just a bonus.

Wish I'd done it that way, but I never even saw those books, much less passed because they were too expensive.  Kids.

On 3/15/2022 at 4:37 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Wish I'd done it that way, but I never even saw those books, much less passed because they were too expensive.  Kids.

Are you kidding? I think I got my ASM 1 which is a 7.0ish grade for a hundred dollars.  My AF 15 was a best friends book, he sold it to me for 500.00. When I was in school I worked for comic books, so that's where all my money went.