• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
34 34

14,596 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2024 at 6:53 PM, Lee Enterprises said:

All I could do is watch the FF #1 9.6, but guess who won the Frankenstein restored 9.4...this guy! 

I'm adding as many 9.4s and 9.6s as possible to my FF sets so this is the only way the #1 would meet that criteria. The other early FF books will be a monumental task. 

image.png.dd5f7b6d7790ca19f40a9d42aa30b910.png

it's a gorgeous thing!

On 9/14/2024 at 8:56 PM, trmoore54 said:

Of course...might take this one to the grave...LOL :headbang:

Tom

FF1.jpg

That George Klein inking in the first 2 issues s like a Shangri La moment, almost otherworldly. GOD BLESS ...

-jiimbo(a friiend of jesus)(thumbsu

I've thought about this before but it's interesting the artistic license (let's say as opposed to deception or discrepancy) brought forth on the cover of FF1.  Let's enumerate.  :preach: First, the FF don't fight the monster in the city...the monster first appears at a few atomic power plants around the world and they ultimately fight him on Monster Isle not in the city...the second is the Thing crushing the car amidst the fight, the Thing actually crushes a car in the beginning of the story when they are summoned by Reed with the "4" flare, emerging from a storm drain manhole on his way back to the Baxter Building, and encountering a car.  But the third, and the most absurd aspect is showcasing Reed's power by escaping some flimsy rope. (: lol  Again, nowhere in the cover scenario does it make much sense for him to be bound with a rope...nor does it occur anywhere in the story...oops. doh! :tonofbricks:  'Nuff said.

I love the cover though! :cloud9: :headbang:

Edited by trmoore54

On 9/17/2024 at 11:26 AM, trmoore54 said:

I've thought about this before but it's interesting the artistic license (let's say as opposed to deception or discrepancy) brought forth on the cover of FF1.  Let's enumerate.  :preach: First, the FF don't fight the monster in the city...the monster first appears at a few atomic power plants around the world and they ultimately fight him on Monster Isle not in the city...the second is the Thing crushing the car amidst the fight, the Thing actually crushes a car in the beginning of the story when they are summoned by Reed with the "4" flare, emerging from a storm drain manhole on his way back to the Baxter Building, and encountering a car.  But the third, and the most absurd aspect is showcasing Reed's power by escaping some flimsy rope. (: lol  Again, nowhere in the cover scenario does it make much sense for him to be bound with a rope...nor does it occur anywhere in the story...oops. doh! :tonofbricks:  'Nuff said.

I love the cover though! :cloud9: :headbang:

So true about the ropes ... makes absolutely no sense!

I wonder, especially for an issue #1 where Kirby had to sell his ideas to Stan and Stan in turn had to sell the ideas to Martin Goodman, what art came first.  Is there any way to know when the cover was done vs. the interior pages, or even whether there might have been some sketch work that predates both?

On 9/17/2024 at 9:00 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

So true about the ropes ... makes absolutely no sense!

I wonder, especially for an issue #1 where Kirby had to sell his ideas to Stan and Stan in turn had to sell the ideas to Martin Goodman, what art came first.  Is there any way to know when the cover was done vs. the interior pages, or even whether there might have been some sketch work that predates both?

I doubt we'll ever know. It would be something to find preliminary character studies, tho! I'm a tiny bit surprised that no one has faked them, as shady as the OA world seems to be.

On 9/18/2024 at 3:43 AM, KirbyJack said:

I doubt we'll ever know. It would be something to find preliminary character studies, tho! I'm a tiny bit surprised that no one has faked them, as shady as the OA world seems to be.

I think this happened, if not often, from time to time in the Pre-Hero Monster books/stories.  Spragg JIM68 comes to mind...the cover image is much more dynamic and a bit different than inside the story.  I'm sure there's many more...so in that sense, maybe the idea was to combine the Thing car-smash into the monster scene...and who knows, maybe Stan telling Jack let's put some frightened people on the cover as well which would make a city setting appropriate. (shrug) But there's no explaining the rope idea... (:

Nope; no explaining the rope. 
I can explain the differences between Kirby’s covers and splashes, though. He was an open channel of creativity.  It took real effort for him to draw the same thing twice. 

While we're dissecting the FF1 cover...a couple more thoughts.  One could argue that Kirby has drawn only half a cover...with the predominant upper white background (I like the white background and it definitely showcases the title).  Also it is interesting to me the FF names/title (not really a title, more of an announcement) are done in a non-human technical manner (I wouldn't know what type of printing technology they would be using at this time)...both of these aspects could suggest there was a time crunch factor here to get the cover put together/finalized.  It is odd about the printed FF names...very unusual in fact...not something you would see often if ever on comics of this period.  

Anyway, Kirby (and Stan) very well may have made the conscious decision to have the white background/no other artwork but it is also possible that it was left all blank due to a time factor. hm