• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers collecting thread!
11 11

1,732 posts in this topic

Also someone (and I hope it's not Bendis) will bring back more of a traditional Avengers book before that film, I think.

lol

I hope he doesn't have anything to do with the movie. :wishluck:

Edited by BillBreck

Also someone (and I hope it's not Bendis) will bring back more of a traditional Avengers book before that film, I think.

lol

I hope he doesn't have anything to do with the movie. :wishluck:

Yegods, that thought hadn't occured to me before you mentioned it. :o

Now I can't drive it from my mind, no matter how hard I try. :frustrated::sick:

I'm sure that he'd love to write the screenplay for it.

I don't think that I could sit through 2 hours of his ersatz Buffy the Vampire Slayer-ish dialog.:sick:

ME: Man, I hate that Bendis dialogue thing.

YOU: Bendis dialogue thing?

ME: Yes.

YOU: He has a thing?

ME: He does.

YOU: A dialogue thing?

ME: Yes. A dialogue thing.

YOU: I can't say I've noticed.

ME: You wouldn't.

Edited by BillBreck

The Iron Man success has put a lot of the fanbase and critics in a good frame of mind to receive an Avengers film but it's a long time between now and then and a couple of stinkers between now and then could easily kill the momentum.

So in conclusion, I have no idea, what is the best buying strategy. :insane:

But can you tell us the outcome of this year's World Series?

A bit OT... but I finally saw Iron Man a few weeks ago, and I have to say that while it was an enjoyable way to pass 2 hours, I didn't think it deserved the near-universal praise it got. I thought it was a fairly pedestrian. Just another disposable Hollywood popcorn flick. Not much of a -script, and bit TOO camp and jokey, the cinematography was nothing special, and I didn't really care about the characters. It all just zipped along from scene to scene without spending any time to build the scenes for maximum impact. It was all rather emotionless. As loath as I am to say it, I think DC is doing a much better job of translating their characters to film than Marvel.

OK, time for a couple more new additions. One is firmly in the Silver camp, and the other is straddling the fence between Silver and Bronze, but I'll post it here anyway. Sorry the scans aren't bigger. Haven't received them yet.

Ave_69_96.jpg

Ave_87_94.jpg

OK, time for a couple more new additions. One is firmly in the Silver camp, and the other is straddling the fence between Silver and Bronze, but I'll post it here anyway. Sorry the scans aren't bigger. Haven't received them yet.

Ave_69_96.jpg

Ave_87_94.jpg

Nice books Drew. I always loved the Avengers 87 cover and story. You must have quite a nice collection of Avengers by now.

Ave_69_96.jpg

Ave_87_94.jpg

Very, very nice. Are these from pedigree.com?

That's an easy one....... buy low, sell high. :baiting:

doh! Dam*!! Now you tell me.

(shrug)

;)

A bit of self-deprecating humour gone awry. Or perhaps a bit of humour without the actual "humour" element. (As in, "man, am I a fool - here I was buying high and selling low".)

Nice books Drew. I always loved the Avengers 87 cover and story. You must have quite a nice collection of Avengers by now.

Getting there. Still missing 25 books (I think) in my 1-100 set, and I would like to upgrade another 5 or 6.

It's a decent collection, but it pales next to sets like cheetah's. He's got two Avengers sets in the top 20: the #6 set AND the #17 set (with completely different copies in each set). :o

That's an easy one....... buy low, sell high. :baiting:

doh! Dam*!! Now you tell me.

(shrug)

;)

A bit of self-deprecating humour gone awry. Or perhaps a bit of humour without the actual "humour" element. (As in, "man, am I a fool - here I was buying high and selling low".)

Or, my attempt at humor gone awry. :tonofbricks:

Nope. Worldwide. Stephen Ritter & Matt Nelson.

(worship) They had a ton of graded books at WW Chicago. Not many Avengers, though, as I recall. Do you ever crack open any of the slabbed books that you buy?

Edited by BillBreck

Nope. Worldwide. Stephen Ritter & Matt Nelson.

(worship) They had a ton of graded books at WW Chicago. Not many Avengers, though, as I recall. Do you ever crack open any of the slabbed books that you buy?

I've only cracked out a couple of low grade slabs. Anything 9.2 or above I leave alone. I do have a decent set of low-grade reader copies of Avengers. I also have the Marvel Masterworks reprint books (they're up to issue #68, and I assume another volume will be out this fall) and the complete Avengers DVD. I like the fact that the DVD is scans of complete books, including all the ads and letters, but I just can't get into reading the books on a computer screen.

Getting there. Still missing 25 books (I think) in my 1-100 set, and I would like to upgrade another 5 or 6.

It's a decent collection, but it pales next to sets like cheetah's. He's got two Avengers sets in the top 20: the #6 set AND the #17 set (with completely different copies in each set). :o

Thanks, Drew. I do have a passion for the Avengers and hope to be the first to get a 1-250 set 100% complete. I think I'll have everything between 130 and 250 secured before Christmas. But issues between 1 and 30 seem to be non-existent in high grade anymore. I shudder to think what #1 and #4 in 9.4 would go for nowadays.

OK, time for a couple more new additions. One is firmly in the Silver camp, and the other is straddling the fence between Silver and Bronze, but I'll post it here anyway.

Ave_87_94.jpg

Don't be embarrassed by #87 in the Silver Thread. (I think there's many of us who feel Silver doesn't end until the 20¢ mark and the explosion of titles that ensued.) There's a direct continuity of style and content from #69 to #87. This is exactly the place for such a fine example.

Don't be embarrassed by #87 in the Silver Thread. (I think there's many of us who feel Silver doesn't end until the 20¢ mark and the explosion of titles that ensued.) There's a direct continuity of style and content from #69 to #87. This is exactly the place for such a fine example.

:hi:

I'm feeling slightly outclassed. (worship) (worship)