• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers collecting thread!
11 11

1,732 posts in this topic

My lcs has an avengers 4 in g vg for &190. Is guide a deal at this point?

I might be able to get of for a g+ price. Recommendations?

There's not much variance in selling price between 3.5, 4.0 and 4.5 copies lately. They're all going for $300-350. So $190 or less for a copy that'll grade out at 3.0 seems like a good deal to me.

I picked up a few of them but don't have them yet. Here is one that looked really nice.

Yup, that's VERY nice. Love the sharp corners!

Despite being stone cold broke, I couldn't help myself and bid on a few things: #22, 60 and 61. (I had my eye on some others, but they were already overpriced in the final hours of the auction.)

Unfortunately (or fortunately, I suppose) I only won one of them. I think this is my third Pacific Coast Avengers:

Avengers61_94.jpg

I picked up a few of them but don't have them yet. Here is one that looked really nice.

Yup, that's VERY nice. Love the sharp corners!

Despite being stone cold broke, I couldn't help myself and bid on a few things: #22, 60 and 61. (I had my eye on some others, but they were already overpriced in the final hours of the auction.)

Unfortunately (or fortunately, I suppose) I only won one of them. I think this is my third Pacific Coast Avengers:

Avengers61_94.jpg

You outbid me on that one....I remember buying that off the stand. CONGRATS on a cool book at a great price.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You outbid me on that one....I remember buying that off the stand. CONGRATS on a cool book at a great price.GOD BLESS...

I remember the same thing (er... not YOU buying it off the stand, but ME).

This was the Avengers era that I remember the most fondly, when John Buscema was at his absolute peak. I loved his splash pages, and this issue had a DOUBLE splash page! Unfortunately, Buscema lasted only one more issue after this one (at least for the time being). I don't know why, but when he later returned to the Avengers his work just wasn't as dynamic.

My first Avengers was # 56. I, too, feel that the Buscema run was as good as any since...and Roy Thomas was really pulling out the stops. I met Roy at a Heroe's con and was gushing about that run and he pulled an " aw, shucks, there were lots better than me. ..." routine.Here's one I just got from the Lee/Kirby period....a 7.5 that is as nice as my 8.5 but way cheaper.GOD BLESS...

AV375.jpg

Very, very nice - great colors. :applause: Where did you pick this one up?

It came from www.torpedocomics.com with FREE shipping.It's got the best color I've seen yet...and I've owned two pedigree copies and an 8.5 whitepager. I've had some luck lately with CGC 7.5's....they seem to be tightening up on that grade.I put my 8.5 up for sale but the price is HIGH so I'll probably have it a while still. GOD BLESS...

Very, very nice - great colors. :applause: Where did you pick this one up?

It came from www.torpedocomics.com with FREE shipping.It's got the best color I've seen yet...and I've owned two pedigree copies and an 8.5 whitepager. I've had some luck lately with CGC 7.5's....they seem to be tightening up on that grade.I put my 8.5 up for sale but the price is HIGH so I'll probably have it a while still. GOD BLESS...

I've heard of Torpedo, but have never checked their web site. hm

Did you buy this as a raw book or slabbed?

Torpedo is a good place to buy slabbed books. I've bought a few and their prices tend to be reasonable. I've not bought non-labs, though, so don't know much about their grading scale.

They have provided me with a complete Alien Worlds run and a complete Atlantis Chronicles run ( Peter David and Esteban Moroto) for around $ 20 each.The books are all 9.0 or better.I haven't tried anything more substantial in the raw arena yet. I lost out on a nice slabbed JLA 19 ( cgc 9.0) for $200...BELOW guide...waited too long.They could very well turn into a MAJOR operation in a few years...they just need to step up their marketing a notch or two.GOD BLESS...