• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers collecting thread!
11 11

1,732 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the boards, CGC, etc. I'm amazed at your collecting prowess.

I got a leg up on some of you since I'm an Avengers fan from way back, when it wasn't fashionable.

I started buying comics in 1969 (ASM #80 -- which I still have sans cover -- and FF #94 were my first Marvels). My first Avengers was issue #93, which I bought b/c it had the FF (or so I thought) in it. It would begin a run that ended with #205 (I was 18 and needed the money for other things ...).

For the first few years I just collected Avengers despite not being a big fan. I started reading the reprints in Marvel Triple Action. Soon, I got the MTA back issues with the original team and was hooked. Soon, at age 13, I started collecting from #92 down. By the time I stopped collecting five years later, I had a run down to #21.

Flash forward to 1990 -- I was out of college, married with two incomes and got the bug again.My first big purchase was a #1 (for $400) that appears to be fine (more on that later). By 1992 or 93 I had pretty much filled in from #1 to #20 and from #206-up. Then I hit the jackpot.

My local comic shop acquired a small comic box full of vintage silver age books that were pristine. Among the books were Avengers #s 3-4, and 6-10. After consulting my financial advisor I was able to buy the #s 3,4 and 6 for $750.

Over the next few years I tried to upgrade them as much as I could or afford.

I'm not a professional grader but I believe I the first 75 issues would be graded fine or better. Like I said, I'm new to CGC so I'm just now getting some of my books slabbed.

But in 2004, my local comic shop owner told me he was sending a batch of books to CGC. So, I had him submit my Avengers #4. It is clearly my gem and I'm proud to say that I'm one of 16 owners of a 9.4. Hence my membership to CGC.

Soon, I'm going to submit my #s 1, 3 and 6. Hopefully, the latter two will be 9.4s also.

Sorry I was long winded. If anyone took the time to read the whole thing. Thanks. I'm going to enjoy corresponding with kindred spirits!

Sometime, I will figure out how to post photos of some of my books.

WTB. (thumbs u

Hope you post scans of your #3 and #6 when they're graded.

Thanks for the great tips!

And thanks to everyone for the wonderful welcomes.

Well, here's my baby. We are stuck in the 20th century in photography, so this is the best I can do for now -- my cellphone camera (which isn't bad).

Enjoy.

samscomics009.jpg

Don't think this has been discussed yet. Pedigree is auctioning the second Avengers #57 9.8 this year. It is from the Valparaiso Collection. This one has a sight miscut but is significantly better than the Rocky Mountain copy that CLink sold earlier. Place your bets on the final hammer price.

av57ga5.jpg

Stalled at only $2,500. Waiting for this to explode, should hit close to $25,000 when its over-nicest copy I've ever seen.

Thanks Surfer. Actually, I'm paying a lot of attention to the Avengers #4 CGC 9.4 on Comiclink. If it pulls more than $20,000, I may consider putting mine up later. That's some serious change.

And the best part of all this is that I did most of my Avengers collecting in the 1990s, when it was affordable.