• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers collecting thread!
11 11

1,732 posts in this topic

I'd be shocked if it doesn't go past $50k but the players in the avengers market haven't had a book this pricey to go after. Between this one and the #4 9.6 on Pedigree, we may see if there is a practical limit to what the fans are willing to spend.

I'd be shocked if it doesn't go past $50k but the players in the avengers market haven't had a book this pricey to go after. Between this one and the #4 9.6 on Pedigree, we may see if there is a practical limit to what the fans are willing to spend.

Book will push past 50K, but where will it finish? Not the prettiest of 9.4's, so I'm thinking 75- 85K. Of course if 2 guys want it bad enough, then we could see :o:sick::screwy:

Book will push past 50K, but where will it finish? Not the prettiest of 9.4's, so I'm thinking 75- 85K. Of course if 2 guys want it bad enough, then we could see :o:sick::screwy:

That spine makes me uneasy for a 9.4 and especially for a book that will go in the $50K range... 2c

I guess it's just a hairline glimpse of the back white cover, but it messes with the presentation of such a HG book...probably would present better if it were more like a uniform 1/16-inch...

Edited by trmoore54

So on books like the 9.4 #1 and 9.6 #4 do they end up in the hands of guys building runs or guys just buying a big book?

Hard to say...I could see someone or a dealer bidding $50K for this book on spec even with the hopes of flipping it next year for $60-75K when the movie comes out...

NIce pickups h&c! It is way better -- but more pricier -- to upgrade collections now than it was 15-20 years ago. You KNOW what you're getting now, instead of either trusting the seller's grading ability or yours.

I have #s 1-503 but probably will be lucky to get 1-20 graded.

Also, I have a question for anyone on this board. Can you get notes from CGC on books they have graded?

NIce pickups h&c!

Also, I have a question for anyone on this board. Can you get notes from CGC on books they have graded?

Thank You!

And yes you can get the grader's notes. You just have to call them and give them the bar code number. It's free and a nice service.

Avengers 4 reprints?

Besides the Gold Record version, was #4 ever reprinted in Marvel Tales or someplace similar? I just snagged a nice slabbed #4 and I'd like to pick up a cheap reader copy but GRRs are more than I care to spend.

Avengers Special (annual) #3

Avengers: Classic #4

Marvel Milestone Edition: Avengers #4

May be a few others.

YOWZA!!!

Check this one out...presently $41K on Clink with 4 days to go... :o

RADDA0CF2009813_131920.jpg

I believe that this will sell for close to 100K, or just over.. Shockingly, it is as rare as AF15 in 9.4 and 9.6 combined. Total 7 copies for each (it has 2 9.6s to AF15s one copy. And 5 9.4s to AF15s 6 copies) And sine NONE of the three 9.6s are going anywhere, there are LESS 9.4 Avengers 1s around. I think this is the first copy to sell publicly in 6 or 7 years?

There have GOT to be 2 or 3 big money guys who have been waiting for a shot at a copy!. IMO, for a late Marvel key, I admit to thinking it was a lot more common that it appears to be.

One caveat to the census is that in both 9.2 and 9.0 Avengers has TWICE as many copies so far. And we know 9.0s and 9.2s sometimes cook in their slabs and end up with higher numbers on new slabs at some point... so the Avengers census has potential to grow more than AF15 does.

Im also ginning the price up due to movie hype. This could get a Perfect Storm level of bidding!

Im also ginning the price up due to movie hype. This could get a Perfect Storm level of bidding!

I was checking the registry sets. Ghost Town has a 9.4 as well and there is a 3rd member who has a 9.6 in his/her reg. set. If 9.4 could fetch 100k, I wonder what that would make the 9.6 value?