• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers collecting thread!
11 11

1,732 posts in this topic

the logic is there.... Both books have equal amounts of longterm inertial colon clogging negativeness around them, that has only recently been jettisoned in their new guise at Super Hot books!

theres often nothing more desireable than a book nobody really wants, that suddenly heats up, and now EVERYBODY wants one at any price! Look at Showcase 22.

These are the 2009 poster children for the Every Dog Has His Day award!

Avengers 4 reprints?

Besides the Gold Record version, was #4 ever reprinted in Marvel Tales or someplace similar? I just snagged a nice slabbed #4 and I'd like to pick up a cheap reader copy but GRRs are more than I care to spend.

Avengers Special (annual) #3

Avengers: Classic #4

Marvel Milestone Edition: Avengers #4

May be a few others.

thanks man!

Where do you see the bruises? Top edge and lower right corner?

It's only a scan, and so must be taken with a grain of salt. I admit to worrying about the impact (pun intended) of encapsulation on super high-grade books, and this one caught my eye:

avengers2in98.jpg

Avengers 4 reprints?

Besides the Gold Record version, was #4 ever reprinted in Marvel Tales or someplace similar? I just snagged a nice slabbed #4 and I'd like to pick up a cheap reader copy but GRRs are more than I care to spend.

Avengers Special (annual) #3

Avengers: Classic #4

Marvel Milestone Edition: Avengers #4

May be a few others.

thanks man!

I vaguely recall it being reprinted in avengers 400(?) but I might be wrong. It was some double size 90s book that showed the avengers 4 cover on the back cover, IIRC

I'm in a panic. My CGC order is still in Verified but now I see that my Avengers #1 has a "TRIMMED" in the pedigree area and "Apparent SA" in another. I'm not an expert but would that mean its trimmed and what does "SA" mean?

I was hoping for a 7.0 or better, now my $400 investment in 1990 looks to be going down the tubes.

Any imput would be welcome.

I'm in a panic. My CGC order is still in Verified but now I see that my Avengers #1 has a "TRIMMED" in the pedigree area and "Apparent SA" in another. I'm not an expert but would that mean its trimmed and what does "SA" mean?

I was hoping for a 7.0 or better, now my $400 investment in 1990 looks to be going down the tubes.

SA = Slight Amateur resto

SA = Slight Amateur resto

That sucks. Another fan ripped off by a dishonest seller.

Got some more bad/good news today. My books have been graded. The #1 that showed some restoration graded 5.0. My #3 graded at 9.0, which was disappointing since it came from the same batch as my 9.4 #4. However, my #6 graded at 9.4, so it wasn't a total loss.

Got some more bad/good news today. My books have been graded. The #1 that showed some restoration graded 5.0. My #3 graded at 9.0, which was disappointing since it came from the same batch as my 9.4 #4. However, my #6 graded at 9.4, so it wasn't a total loss.

I've said it before and I will say it now, guys that trim and colour touch and don't disclose when they sell are dirtbags. How many collectors quit the hobby in disgust after finding out this sort of thing?

The good news is that you have a couple of big time books. #4 in 9.4 is a huge book and the #3 and #6 are sweet in that grade.

It's not going to get any better with collectors like me out there who are inexperienced at grading or don't open the books up much in order to keep them in the best condition. I've had that #1 for almost 20 years and I probably opened the bag and looked at it three or four times since I bought it. And it was worse with higher grade books. I bought them in 1993 and I doubt I opened them up more than twice.

I guess the lesson is to stick with slabbed books until I'm educated further in the fine art of inspection.

Oh well, My $750 investment in the #s 3,4 and 6 should be worth $25-30 grand now. Not bad.

Now what to send in next? I've got a nice TTA #35 and an FF #12. I'll probably send in one of my #57s.I've got one that is probably at least 9.0 but then again, who knows!