• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers collecting thread!
11 11

1,731 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2021 at 2:28 PM, wchung said:

Case is horrible.

How is this 9.8? I can tell it's in good shape, but it looks like the staple holes are a little worn, the spine is on the darker side of off-white, and it's misaligned a little. It's good enough for my collection, but a 9.8 should be head and shoulders above every other grade. There is just too much variance in grading for people to pay obscene amounts for 9.8 comics, because the grade can be decided on a whim by the "master" grader based on their state of mind when a book comes through.

On 8/2/2021 at 3:18 AM, Pat Thomas said:

How is this 9.8? I can tell it's in good shape, but it looks like the staple holes are a little worn, the spine is on the darker side of off-white, and it's misaligned a little. It's good enough for my collection, but a 9.8 should be head and shoulders above every other grade. There is just too much variance in grading for people to pay obscene amounts for 9.8 comics, because the grade can be decided on a whim by the "master" grader based on their state of mind when a book comes through.

Misalignment is not taken into consideration when grading ... as for the whites of the back cover (showing along the spine), this is one of many books I've seen that get a White Pages designation when the cover itself is clearly off-white.  I suppose it's possible the interior pages are in fact white, but it doesn't seem right to ignore the cover when rating the color of the pages.

As for other examples of wear you might be seeing, I've found that CGC has always had a bit of a tendency toward a sliding scale based on age of the book.  There are plenty of Silver Age 9.4s and 9.6s out there with defects that I don't think would get a 9.4 or 9.6 if they were Bronze Age or Modern.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:58 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Misalignment is not taken into consideration when grading ... as for the whites of the back cover (showing along the spine), this is one of many books I've seen that get a White Pages designation when the cover itself is clearly off-white.  I suppose it's possible the interior pages are in fact white, but it doesn't seem right to ignore the cover when rating the color of the pages.

As for other examples of wear you might be seeing, I've found that CGC has always had a bit of a tendency toward a sliding scale based on age of the book.  There are plenty of Silver Age 9.4s and 9.6s out there with defects that I don't think would get a 9.4 or 9.6 if they were Bronze Age or Modern.

I will perhaps get this re-holder(if im willing to wait 4-6 months), and it should look a lot better in a new case.