• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I LOVE GRANT MORRISON'S A.S.S. (#5)

14 posts in this topic

Picked it up and read it today. I've always been more of a Marvel fan but am really enjoying this series. It doesn't slam you over the head saying "look at me, I'm great!" but each panel just clicks.

I really enjoyed the constant movement this issue. We have typical talking heads dialogue as they walk through the prison and proceed with nice action. Just lots of fun and a really enjoyable read. And this comes from a guy who finds Superman boring most of the time.

-Super Bob

Kind of cool how Superman did not appear on camera (in costume) the entire issue. I thought seeing Clark stumble around doing super-stuff in the background was a nice homage to all those Silver Age / Bronze Age stories where he had to stay undercover as Clark for some contrived reason while the world was going to hell all around him.

I guess I wasn't quite as knocked out by this issue since Morrison's Luthor portrayal isn't all that fresh anymore. It's been implied since the Byrne reboot, and Jeph Loeb and Brian Azz. recently have made it pretty explicit-- Luthor thinks he would be recognized as earth's own home-grown superman if it weren't for the Kryptonian invader. Now, if later Morrison reveals that Luthor knows he was talking to Superman during all this time and was simply toying with Clark during the course of this issue, then that would be pretty interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't think it's Morrison's idea to 'rethink' the characters, just play with what's already there. His Luthor reminded me of Millar's Red Son Luthor quite a bit, until the bit with the eyebrows at the end, making the character seem much more off-kilter. I particularly liked that Clark lost his cool for a moment, angry that he and Superman should be working together, not against each other.