• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, Falcon760 said:

Is Strange Tales 135 really undervalued?  What's going on with Nick Fury these days?  It took me forever to find a Nick Fury #1.

I think you could make that case.  It's a bit tricky because Nick Fury (the agent of SHIELD) both is and is not a new character when we see him in Strange Tales #135.  Not sure who his best comps might be, but just for kicks let's try Black Widow and Hawkeye.  Those characters appear just 16 and 11 months earlier (respectively), but the difference in book values between 1964 and 1965 is a real thing.  Those characters are guest stars / villains who never carried their own ongoing series, unlike ol' Nick who got his own solo stories from the start and eventually got a (short-lived) solo book.  Also the Nick Fury who shows up in the MCU is pretty clearly the "Ultimate universe" Nick Fury, so maybe that is a factor.

But coming back to what you said, I know I was pleasantly surprised by the relative affordability of Strange Tales #135.  I paid less than 1/3 what TOS #57 cost me and less than 1/5 of what TOS #52 cost me.

This book is from an original owner collection that is special to me, as I discovered it circulating around the Twin Cities in the mid 90s. I bought several but I certainly missed most of the collection. The original owner's name appears to be Ramon Hull or perhaps Hall. If you have any of these books or know where any are, if they're priced reasonably, please contact me. I don't pay any premium for them as they are lower to mid grade but I buy them when I see them (once again, priced reasonably).

ST 101 Hull.jpg

This book is honestly a crying shame. A very nice copy that someone got a little too rambunctious with .... perhaps it was a tape pull, I don't know. I wish they'd have kept the missing piece but who knows what they were thinking. Solid copy to me for a few dollars, so yeah, sold. 

ST 105.jpg