• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

On 5/30/2021 at 1:21 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Just made a major upgrade.

917031110_StrangeTales114CGC9.4.thumb.jpg.5c9aadd03a00c1490c8a3a3d2e535947.jpg

Sad but true update:  It turns out I do NOT get to own this book after all.

I bought this book on the Heritage "marketplace" and was just told that the seller informed them they no longer have the book.  That's extremely disappointing and confirms my suspicion that much of that "inventory" is stale and not actively managed by the consignors.  But what really concerns me is the possibility that the owner may just be pretending they don't have the book because they think they can sell it for more in this market.  If I see this book suddenly pop up for sale somewhere, I'll know what happened.

:sumo:

That's a bad bounce Lou, sorry to hear that. It's tough to know for sure, as there's a LOT of "quick flip" happening out there. Someone else may have very recently bought it with the sole intention to resell it quickly. Btw, I'm not condemning anyone buying and reselling comics. I AM bummed for you though, as that is a smoking copy. If I see anything comparable for sale, I'll let ya know.  

On 6/2/2021 at 4:00 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Sad but true update:  It turns out I do NOT get to own this book after all.

I bought this book on the Heritage "marketplace" and was just told that the seller informed them they no longer have the book.  That's extremely disappointing and confirms my suspicion that much of that "inventory" is stale and not actively managed by the consignors.  But what really concerns me is the possibility that the owner may just be pretending they don't have the book because they think they can sell it for more in this market.  If I see this book suddenly pop up for sale somewhere, I'll know what happened.

:sumo:

This "excuse" appears to be reaching epidemic proportions.

1 hour ago, MattTheDuck said:

This "excuse" appears to be reaching epidemic proportions.

Sadly, it just happened to me again on another 9.4 of the same issue.  I tried to buy one off the ComicLink exchange ... submitted an offer, and it was declined; submitted another offer, and this time not only was it declined, but the book was also mysteriously taken down.

2 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Sadly, it just happened to me again on another 9.4 of the same issue.  I tried to buy one off the ComicLink exchange ... submitted an offer, and it was declined; submitted another offer, and this time not only was it declined, but the book was also mysteriously taken down.

That kind of stuff gets you a proby/HOS designation around here.

35 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

For all the good it will do, and without naming names, I just sent off an email to CL about the general trend of "can't find" consignment books.  In the long run, it's in their best interests that buyers have confidence in the system.