• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2019 at 11:35 AM, aardvark88 said:

Nice non-reprint Ditko pin up from those square bound Marvel Tales #8 that usually get ignored because they are common reprints even in VF so can be had for a bargain price.

YSkAKJN.jpg

So this was not printed before?! Marvel Tales 8 original material? 

23 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Target acquired. I love the opportunity to rationalize a $5 purchase. Found one in a little local shop. 

(thumbsu  The SA Marvel reprint books are great.  For next to nothing you can read in comic book form virtually any SA superhero story.  All that's missing are the adverts and Stan's soapbox of the time, and the letters page.  I've sold off virtually my entire SA Marvel collection, but still have the Marvel Tales, Collectors Item Classics, Superheroes, and Greatest Comics runs.

Edited by namisgr

12 minutes ago, namisgr said:

(thumbsu  The SA Marvel reprint books are great.  For next to nothing you can read in comic book form virtually any superhero story.  All that's missing are the adverts and Stan's soapbox of the time, and the letters page.  I've sold off virtually my entire SA Marvel collection, but still have the Marvel Tales, Collectors Item Classics, Superheroes, and Greatest Comics runs.

I read my first copies-cost maybe a buck in the late eighties-of Marvel Super Heroes #1&2 till the front covers just came right off.Was a hassle trying to find a nice replacement of the #2 Canadian with the blank interior cover,back.If it wasn't for the titles you mentioned above,I would have missed out on a lot of reading growing up.Greatest comics was five for a buck back then,not much more now in reading shape!

On 9/12/2019 at 3:52 PM, namisgr said:

(thumbsu  The SA Marvel reprint books are great.  For next to nothing you can read in comic book form virtually any SA superhero story.  All that's missing are the adverts and Stan's soapbox of the time, and the letters page.  I've sold off virtually my entire SA Marvel collection, but still have the Marvel Tales, Collectors Item Classics, Superheroes, and Greatest Comics runs.

Plus, the reproduction is 100 times better than anything I've seen in a modern TPB or $$$$ omnibus.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 9/10/2019 at 6:28 AM, pickycollector said:

New acquisitions, hard to find these unpressed today and with nice centering so very happy with my purchases.

The #101 is particularly nice for its given grade. I was looking for several years to get a copy with good wrap i.e. full stamp, etc.

The #110 would probably get a paper quality upgrade to OW with a straight resub, great centering on that one too.

Two more books saved from the restorers pressers! :sumo:

2073595102_ST101.thumb.jpg.738acb1e623904426c1e7a0e3458203c.jpg

848946487_ST110.thumb.jpg.f9923d54eb3fa2ac45b27ae985793e77.jpg

Nice 110, the BRC always seems to be the area a crease settles in at least in my experience. One I might press, but unlikely grade bump. @joeypost ?

ST110CGC9.2.jpg.a4864afeaa03edd0de06ea2da30acf25.jpg

ST110CGC9.2LABEL.jpg

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

Plus, the reproduction is 100 times better than anything I've seen in a modern TPB or $$$$ omnibus.

I know there are page omissions in the later issues ( Marvel’s Greatest Comics), are the square bound SA issues unabridged? 

51 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I know there are page omissions in the later issues ( Marvel’s Greatest Comics), are the square bound SA issues unabridged? 

hm Been a while since I've read any, I don't know! I don't recall anything missing from those from the main stories, not sure about pinups.

1 hour ago, UncleBEN said:

Nice 110, the BRC always seems to be the area a crease settles in at least in my experience. One I might press, but unlikely grade bump. @joeypost ?

ST110CGC9.2.jpg.a4864afeaa03edd0de06ea2da30acf25.jpg

ST110CGC9.2LABEL.jpg

Normally I would have an opinion, but since they are Patrick’s books and I am a lowly restorer, err presser I will keep all of my opinions to myself. 

1 hour ago, UncleBEN said:

Nice 110, the BRC always seems to be the area a crease settles in at least in my experience. One I might press, but unlikely grade bump

I don't care if it could press to 9.6, pressing it is the last thing I would want to do, I like it untouched and unrestored. For my collection, I rather have an unpressed 8.0 than a pressed 9.6 anytime :sumo: