• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dumb, dumb question, but I need to ask it anyway

18 posts in this topic

As per above, if I see a CGC book with the purple restored label, and an apparent grade of, say, 3.0, am I to assume that was the grade of the book before the resto, or that is the grade the restoration has brought the book too.

I know this a total newbie question, but I generally don't buy restored books. Something interesting has come up, however, and I need a little learning.

Thanks!

Shep

That's the "after" resto grade. CGC does not provide a "before" resto grade, but it would pretty much be impossible to do anyway unless you graded the book "before"...

not sure if this helps, but i subbed a Swamp Thing 7 that looked at least 9.4. it of course turned out to have the top and bottom edges trimmed, and was thus put into a purple 7.0 slab

Defintely not a dumb question, Shep. I find this issue even more confusing in the higher grades. Let me try asking a variation of your question:

Let's say you have a book that would grade a 9.4 except for color-breaking spine wear which drops it to a 7.5, and that color touch has been applied to the spine cracks. Would the book now grade "Apparent 9.4" (as if the color-breaking spine wear under the color touch wasn't there at all), or is it more like an "Apparent 8.5" (i.e. the spine wear is still there, but it "supposedly" doesn't break color)? Hope this makes sense, and curious what you folks think.

Defintely not a dumb question, Shep. I find this issue even more confusing in the higher grades. Let me try asking a variation of your question:

Let's say you have a book that would grade a 9.4 except for color-breaking spine wear which drops it to a 7.5, and that color touch has been applied to the spine cracks. Would the book now grade "Apparent 9.4" (as if the color-breaking spine wear under the color touch wasn't there at all), or is it more like an "Apparent 8.5" (i.e. the spine wear is still there, but it "supposedly" doesn't break color)? Hope this makes sense, and curious what you folks think.

I'd say it depends on how good the work is - if you can't see it and it looks brand new, then it's a 9.4. If the spine stress/wear is still visible but just filled in, it would be more like the 8.5 in your example.

Thanks again for all the good posts, guys.

In a nutshell, I contacted the seller... turns out it's someone who I've dealt with before, and is a really good guy. He bought the book in question, restored, several years ago, and as a result is unsure of the original grade. He said if I buy the book and am unhappy, I can send it straight back. So I'm going to take a stab at it. It'll be my first book (that I know of) with significant resto... not really sure how I feel about it, but it's a book I have been unable to find in grade at a price I can justify.

Thanks again for the info and help. I'll keep you posted if/when the book comes my way.

Shep

Resto'd Our Army at War #81. It's on ebay.

Pretty sure anyone in the market for that kind of book know it's there. I'm still a little torn. My thinking is that it'll probably make the $300-$400 range. So, do I blow that now on a book that has undergone extensive restoration, or, kick in a few more hundreds and get a nice 5.0-6.0 unrestored copy? It won't be a resale book - it's part of the permanent collection.

It's troubling. I'm beguiled by the apparent prettiness of the book.... but will an unrestored copy fit in better with my books of that era (I have a run of OAAW from #70-#89, except for a couple, that are all nice, clean 5.0 to 7.5 books, raw)?

Any thoughts?

Shep

Pretty sure anyone in the market for that kind of book know it's there. I'm still a little torn. My thinking is that it'll probably make the $300-$400 range.

Closed at $177. Looks like you got beat out in the end. Sorry to see that. frown.gif

In the end, instead of dropping a bid to win, I figured I'd lowball at $175 and see if I got lucky. After thinking about it, even though it looked pretty, I wasn't sure I wanted to drop more than a couple of hundred bucks on a heavily restored book.

The good news is that I have a line on at least 6 nice copies of that book (Metro alone as four, ranging from 5.5 to 8.5.... but they're are ridiculously priced.) Still, a book I'm hoping to have by Christmas.

Shep

That's definitely a key book (1st Sgt Rock)...and as you've already surmised, HG DC war books are like hen's teeth to find. What? Metro wants $4k for a key book like this? Mere pocket change! insane.gif

At this point it's a personal choice. I would personally rather not own a restored book unless it's so rare (or expensive) that it is the only way...these books do exist in higher grade (and much more money) so it's your call really. It's the battle we wage daily as collectors (at least some of us)---value vs quality.

That would be one cool book to have, though. Good luck on your quest.

BTW, that book did look sweet.

I know, it looked pretty choice. Sigh.

I've been on a bit of a mid-grade 1950s DC war jag for a while, and I think it's time I took a break, built up a war chest, and went for something prime. I would LOVE to get that book in 8.0, but at $4k, that's an awful lot of money. Particularly since I think that, over time, that book will become more affordable as OAAW #83 overtakes it as the most important Rock book.

I'm thinking that a raw 8.0 #81 is probably out there for less than $2000. Sueprworld sold a very nice raw VF/NM (read 8.0) #83 earlier this year for $1600. They're out there...

Shep

#83 is about 85 or 90% the value of #81.... if memory serves. No way that should be, though. And to me, the high grade spread should be much higher too because #83 has a black cover. It's notoriously hard to find in amazing shape.

I'm lucky to have a copy that's a 5.5 (according to the 'buddy can you spare a grade' forum) and I paid for it ($400 about four years ago). A great book if you can find one.

Shep