• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil Collecting Thread
16 16

3,122 posts in this topic

I would think "Miller Time" would be the immediate choice.

They might just spin it, do the opposite and go for a wider (younger) audience and not use his edge and have it more lighthearted if you will.

One thing is for sure imho, Gladiator would be FRICKEN AWESOME!!! :headbang:

Curious what you say, because I actually think the "lighthearted" side of DD, brought back by Ann Nocenti a bit, and apparently a lot by Mark Waid (which I disliked on the Fantastic Four, I have now the Daredevils and have to read them).

It might be that it would appeal to younger readers, but also to classic DD readers. :)

The Gladiator, from the little I have read, Miller quite thwarted the character, at least in the early issues when he teams-up with Elektra and DD against the Hand (I don’t know how much it was used later on). There were even comments in the mail section about this in these issues. And this reminds me I have to upgrade my #15… hm

You beat my edit. lol!!

Yes "younger" was not the proper choice of words. A movie that appeals (and is accepted) to a broader spectrum of movie goers and fans. Not just for the movie goers or DD fans who want a noir style, containing a gritty & darker look and feel surrounding it.

As for The Gladiator, #18's cover is honestly in my top 5 DD covers!

I just love the eerie and mysterious supernatural feel I get from that awesome cover!! A classic battle of good vs evil is portrayed perfectly - the omnipotent gladiator looms over DD, who struggles with all his might, to ward off this maleficent foe!!

I just love it!!! (Can you tell?!?! lol)

I would think "Miller Time" would be the immediate choice.

They might just spin it, do the opposite and go for a wider (younger?) audience and not use his edge. Having it more lighthearted for lack of better words.

(It just pray, that when if does happen - it will be a dammn good movie)

One thing is for sure imho, Gladiator would be FRICKEN AWESOME!!! :headbang:

Gladiator would be amazing! They could make him such a creepy character with the delusional thinking. :screwy: Kilgrave could be a character that is easy to adapt to a show and could be a very evil villain. :devil:

#4 is easily one of my favorite DD covers.

Gladiator would be amazing! They could make him such a creepy character with the delusional thinking. :screwy: Kilgrave could be a character that is easy to adapt to a show and could be a very evil villain. :devil:

The problem is that the Gladiator never had any delusional thinking: Miller got his character quite entirely wrong. The Gladiator used to be a character similar to the Sandman: rude and rather rough, and pretty much a cold-blooded killer.

One of the many reasons for which I don’t like Miller on Marvel books, he pretty much did what he wanted with some characters, regardless of how they were and their consistency of development. Even Bullseye, to a lesser degree.

Thanks Rob!

I ended up trading my direct market edition and a little cash for the newsstand edition. When I got the newsstand copy in the mail, I compared it side by side with my direct market copy. The direct market is much more saturated with color - deeper yellows and reds. But what is strange is that because of that, line detail is somewhat lost so I actually like the toned down version of the newsstand much more.

Here is my former direct market copy.

otkv2a.jpg

I was thrilled to get it. I recently won a Clink auction for the old label, newsstand #181 and last year I had picked up an old label newsstand #184. Those two along with the #168 are three of my favorite books from the Miller run.

I know most could not care less about newsstand vs. direct, but after reading CardiacKid's (big DD fan) Journal entry about them, I developed a love for them.