• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil Collecting Thread
16 16

3,123 posts in this topic

I'll post it in the DD#1 thread when I get it in hand, but...

Hey Rob,

Is this the copy I just saw go for $18,025 in a comicconnect auction?

It is, yes. I ended up going $25 over my max!

Damn, congrats man. Great buy indeed!!

I'm happy with it. I'm not happy about getting pushed to my absolute maximum, but I really wanted to get the #1 now before it gets too out of hand and really liked this particular copy.

Hey Rob,

I'm happy with it. I'm not happy about getting pushed to my absolute maximum, but I really wanted to get the #1 now before it gets too out of hand and really liked this particular copy.

You think DD #1 in high grade will spike again?

Hey Rob,

You think DD #1 in high grade will spike again?

I don't think it's going to spike, but I also don't think it's going to drop any time soon and I'd rather not take the chance. I really wanted to finish this run so I can focus on some other titles for a while so gambling that I could buy on a dip isn't appealing to me especially since this copy fits in so well with the rest of my run.

For what it's worth, the prices now aren't even at their historic highs for the book. It's increased a lot since 2013, but it's flat if you got back further than that. I'm proud to say I didn't set a record for the book (24750 in 2011 plus a couple of others) and the price I paid is in line with the 9.6 prices we've seen recently (around $36000)

I doubt you'll ever regret going a little over your maximum.

I've overpaid for many books over the years and it rarely, if ever, bothered me much. But there have been a number of times where I didn't open my checkbook enough to get a great book. And it's the ones I let get away that I have some regrets about.

I doubt you'll ever regret going a little over your maximum.

I've overpaid for many books over the years and it rarely, if ever, bothered me much. But there have been a number of times where I didn't open my checkbook enough to get a great book. And it's the ones I let get away that I have some regrets about.

(thumbs u

I wasn't going to let this one get away if I could help it. Both the timing and the book were right so I was all in.

Well Rob, I pushed you a bit into the teens at comic connect but for the last 4K it was someone else. It looks like I am done as well, as after the shock wore off on the 9.4 it made it easy to talk to the owner of this one owner book and pull the trigger.

DD1CGC90.jpg

And though I know its not Silver, this book is harder that a DD1 in terms of frequency I can assure you so it looks like my run is seriously complete.

DD14835c.jpg

Well Rob, I pushed you a bit into the teens at comic connect but for the last 4K it was someone else. It looks like I am done as well, as after the shock wore off on the 9.4 it made it easy to talk to the owner of this one owner book and pull the trigger.

DD1CGC90.jpg

That's a killer book, congrats on the purchase.

DD1CGC90.jpg

And though I know its not Silver, this book is harder that a DD1 in terms of frequency I can assure you so it looks like my run is seriously complete.

DD14835c.jpg

Killer pair! Sweet looking #1.

And I can verify the difficulty of the 35 cent variants. I looked at every copy of all three books on eBay for years and never spotted one. Those are incredibly tough.

Edited by rob_react

lol well i think there are a lot of copies coming out now and Rob and I had both been kind of circling that book for almost a year now I think. I find it kind of funny that we both purchased one the same week and would be curious to compare notes on how much money we made people at auction bidding on DD1s this year ^^

I think the 9.4 at Comic Connect is one of, if not the best copy I have seen from a production view point this year [i can say that I never had any intention of going into 5 figures for a DD 1, as of the three Marvel Keys I still need (ASM1 JIM 83) it is my least favorite] but the cut of that copy had me bidding in 5 figures.

Whoever bought the Comiclink 8.5 got a nice deal. I was bidding a bit, but had 9.0 or better on my mind and didn't want to go through a .5 upgrade scenario.

Well congrats Rob, :applause: nice to stop butting heads with you at auction as I think we are in the same boat, meaning only DDs I would consider now are maybe upgrades to some raw books of not as much significance where I could sell the under copy easily.

It's fun to see. this thread has been a little dormant for a while so it's great to get some cool books surfacing.

As for butting heads, I can compare my own notes pretty easily. I only bid on three. I was the underbidder (minus 1? I don't quite remember.) on the 9.2 (Don and Maggie Thompson copy, I bid maybe... $12,000 on the Voldemort 9.4 at Comic Connect and then won the one I won.

The one I picked up is basically a perfect book for me. Like yours, it's got great quality of production. Nothing is really cut off of either book and they're both cut square. So often with DD #1 something is off. It's often miscut and/or miswrapped.

As for DDs at auction, we're safe, I think. The only book I need is 86 and I'm already prepared to pay loony money for one if it comes up for sale.

The only book I need is 86 and I'm already prepared to pay loony money for one if it comes up for sale.

It's pretty amazing how tough it is to find #86 in 9.4 or better. There are just 12 copies - 1 9.8, 4 9.6s, and 7 9.4s.

For comparison purposes, DD #85 and 87 both have more than 60 copies in the census in 9.4 or better.

The only book I need is 86 and I'm already prepared to pay loony money for one if it comes up for sale.

It's pretty amazing how tough it is to find #86 in 9.4 or better. There are just 12 copies - 1 9.8, 4 9.6s, and 7 9.4s.

For comparison purposes, DD #85 and 87 both have more than 60 copies in the census in 9.4 or better.

There are constantly copies of 85 and 87 for sale. All the time. 86? It's been more than three years :frustrated: