• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The superman

104 posts in this topic

Steve! If you don't touch your books you are not a comic collector!! We can argue all day as to what is a comic and what isn't, but if you don't read, fondle. smell, and otherwise enjoy your books in a tactile nature, then you are merely an investor. And as such would not be welcome in a discussion forum about comic books, by comic book collectors and lovers. So snap a couple of pictures of them to help the uninformed, silly (as Bob calls us) hold outs as to what a comic truly is. If Detective Dan is one of the the first comic books of the 20th century, I need to see the inside so I can make an informed judgement.

Thanks,

Bill

With all due respect, though I understand your sentiment, I think these comments are way offbase on several levels. First of all, who said that these boards are not for investors as well as collectors. I would suspect that most of the people here are to some degree both investors and collectors. These are the CGC boards after all, not some fan site. Secondly, these scarce Humor books are not just any old comic book with hundreds or thousands of copies in existence. They are more than just comic books -- they are historical artifacts and should be treated as such. Steve is perfectly within his rights to be reticent about doing anything that might harm them and he is correct to do so, and not just to protect his investment, but to protect a piece of history.

I understand your point and agree with you. We are all both collectors and investors, I hope.

My definition of an "investor" stems from having operated comic book stores during the Superman Death fiasco, the Valiant craze, and the beginnings of high grade multiples and slabbed books.

Many people began buying comic books STRICTLY for investment and could care less what affect that had on the hobby as a whole, or for the comics themselves.. It is certainly their right to do so, but it had a negative affect on the hobby in my opinion. Prices have been driven up, and up, and up with no end in sight. Overstreet is almost completely useless when it comes to certain genres (Timely), or extreme high grade material. Perhaps it is sour grapes on my part, if so, then so be it.

I love comic books, I love collecting them, trading them, selling them, buying them, reading them....yes (gasp) holding, smelling and thumbing them up. I love talking about them with like-minded people and seeing their collections.

That is what drives me in the hobby and has for over thirty years.

I understand your point and agree with you. We are all both collectors and investors, I hope.

My definition of an "investor" stems from having operated comic book stores during the Superman Death fiasco, the Valiant craze, and the beginnings of high grade multiples and slabbed books.

Many people began buying comic books STRICTLY for investment and could care less what affect that had on the hobby as a whole, or for the comics themselves.. It is certainly their right to do so, but it had a negative affect on the hobby in my opinion. Prices have been driven up, and up, and up with no end in sight. Overstreet is almost completely useless when it comes to certain genres (Timely), or extreme high grade material. Perhaps it is sour grapes on my part, if so, then so be it.

I love comic books, I love collecting them, trading them, selling them, buying them, reading them....yes (gasp) holding, smelling and thumbing them up. I love talking about them with like-minded people and seeing their collections.

That is what drives me in the hobby and has for over thirty years.

Well said! thumbsup2.gif

Like I said I do understand your sentiment. Personally, I'm much more of a collector than an investor. I'm just happy to break even and maybe sell the occasional book to help fund my collecting habits.

And yeah, I like to sniff comics too. shy.gifblush.gif

Personally, I didn't take any offense to Ciorac's comment, as I took it as he was just playing.........like poke2.gif

In the realm of Golden Age, with the prices we sometimes have to pay to get these special gems, you have to wear two hats: Collector/Investor. Just MHO. flowerred.gif

hi.gif

That being said........Ciorac!!! Report to detention!!! sumo.gif

poke2.gif

Quite a few of you have PM'd me regarding the few copies i have left of THE SUPERMAN cover with the 1928 copyright

It is 17x22 - double up from the original art, published by me back in 1970

- the only difference between the b&w scan in the thread and what i had printed up from the original is the lower left corner sez 1933 in the scan and the original sez 1928 - the rest of the detail is right on exact

the writing one can almost make out below the logo is a Joe Shuster autograph

Gary Carter used his copy to make the change to 1933 when it was printed in CBM, and his 1928 "original" he bought from me many moons ago had a Shuster autograph he had gotten

The last few NM++ copies i have of it re-discoved in storage after having been stored flat for 30 years I am getting $100 each on - PayPal at Orders@BLBcomics.com gets it into the mail quicker.

there, i did not intend for this to become mercantile, but rather than keep sending out the above data via PM over and over, I post the most common Q&A here

Personally, I didn't take any offense to Ciorac's comment, as I took it as he was just playing.........like poke2.gif

In the realm of Golden Age, with the prices we sometimes have to pay to get these special gems, you have to wear two hats: Collector/Investor. Just MHO. flowerred.gif

hi.gif

That being said........Ciorac!!! Report to detention!!! sumo.gif

poke2.gif

On my way.

Detective Dan rear cover

PS. I re-read your comments Bill, and they are very offensive -- how I'm "not welcome in a discussion forum", so enjoy these pics, because there will be no more activity by me on this thread....go find your own images of Bob Scully and Detective Ace King. I would have posted them too if not for your negative and offensive comments.

Can you find it in your heart to forgive me???

flowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gif

I will be an angel.gif from now on, I promise. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

PS:

I was drinking a good bit of Crown last night while posting..so I was feeling a bit smart-alecky.

I should have had the good sense to observe the "No drinking and posting" sign at the entrance to the thread... blush.gif

I was drinking a good bit of Crown last night while posting..so I was feeling a bit smart-alecky.

I should have had the good sense to observe the "No drinking and posting" sign at the entrance to the thread... blush.gif

Some of the funnier posts here are created under the same conditions..................I know many of mine are, funny or not. crazy.gif

Fine....I hate to see a grown man posting all those smiley faces holding flowers...it's downright pathetic devil.gif

Thanks. At least I know my attempt to look pathetic succeeded.

27_laughing.gif

Now post the other daburned pictures!!!!!

sign-rantpost.gif

hi.gifflowerred.gif

Some of the funnier posts here are created under the same conditions..................I know many of mine are, funny or not. crazy.gif

Cool. So let me go and make a drinky-winky and see if I can be equally offensive tonight.

Just kidding about the offensive part.

The drinky-winky I was serious about.

Care for one Fuelman?

Cool. So let me go and make a drinky-winky and see if I can be equally offensive tonight.

Just kidding about the offensive part.

The drinky-winky I was serious about.

Care for one Fuelman?

I'm having a few wobble-dee pops right now! insane.gif

...and the coolest pic of them all.....ad for the infamous possible 4th book from Humor - Happy Mulligan, found on the last page of Detective Ace King ( BIG finders fee if you guys come up with one of these for me!...if it was ever printed, that is )

1381236-humors%5C%27004%282%29.jpg

589a913658af8_1381236-humors004(2).jpg.6904fd592acdfbe48916b443c8188364.jpg

...and the coolest pic of them all.....ad for the infamous possible 4th book from Humor - Happy Mulligan, found on the last page of Detective Ace King ( BIG finders fee if you guys come up with one of these for me!...if it was ever printed, that is )

Great stuff Steve! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Wouldn't it be something if a copy of Happy Mulligan did turn up and it had a blurb reading:

"Watch for the release of 'THE SUPERMAN' the next book of cartoons to be issued shortly."

Awesome stuff Steve! Thanks very much for sharing. These are very impressive comics. Any idea on how scarce they might be?

Bill, I have a pretty good feel for the estimated number of copies out there for all 3 books:

Detective Dan - estimated 8 copies

Detective Ace King - estimated 8 copies

Bob Scully - estimated 5 copies

needless to say, I am very honored and proud to own a complete set....as a collector of historically important rare books printed prior to 1938, it doesn't get much better than this