• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The superman

104 posts in this topic

Awesome stuff Steve! Thanks very much for sharing. These are very impressive comics. Any idea on how scarce they might be?

Bill, I have a pretty good feel for the estimated number of copies out there for all 3 books:

Detective Dan - estimated 8 copies

Detective Ace King - estimated 8 copies

Bob Scully - estimated 5 copies

needless to say, I am very honored and proud to own a complete set....as a collector of historically important rare books printed prior to 1938, it doesn't get much better than this

Steve,

Thanks for posting the pictures of the interiors. In your estimates for Detective Dan are you including the coverless copy which was on eBay a few years ago?

Awesome stuff Steve! Thanks very much for sharing. These are very impressive comics. Any idea on how scarce they might be?

Bill, I have a pretty good feel for the estimated number of copies out there for all 3 books:

needless to say, I am very honored and proud to own a complete set....as a collector of historically important rare books printed prior to 1938, it doesn't get much better than this

Steve,

Thanks for posting the pictures of the interiors. In your estimates for Detective Dan are you including the coverless copy which was on eBay a few years ago?

Hello Tom G.,

these estimated figures would include any/all copies, including the incomplete one you are referencing. Of course, there is no way to know for sure..these estimates are based on my own market experience, combined with comments from other collectors / dealers I network with who are very active in this market also.

All 3 books...... Darn right. It is a great achievement !

My greatest platnum age achievements were Famous Funnies Series 1 and Famous Funnies #1. Of course your books even pre-date these.

When i owned them some 10 yeras ago they were thought to be the 1st comicbooks ever sold in chain stores and on a newsstand.

There reinterpretation is now

The 1st modern comicbooks ever sold.

note...Funnies on parade was not SOLD. It was a give-away.

Speaking of early books are any of you platnum guys interested in that copy of ALL STORY[1st app of Tarzen] in Heritage auction next weekk. It is REALLY being played up and looks like a 50k or higher book by my feel for the auction.

That ALL STORY is to pulp collecting the same as Action Comics # 1 is to comic collecting: The Holy Grail.

Other books to watch are the Submarine Stories. Rare books!

WOW! Guess it is going to be tough for me to get one!

You should be proud. Congratulations.

Since there always seem to be new discoverys pre dating other comics, Am I correct that [the Yellow Kid In Mcfaddens Flats] is still considered the 1ST Comicbook?

Has something pre-dated this since I last checked?

if you jump over to the "Superman vs. Obadiah Oldbuck" thread you can get this question answered......kind of

Im certain ive seen Steve Geppi own a copy of Detective Dan..Ill have to check the museum next week...It will surly be there.

The Geppi Museum has a set of all 3 Humor books on display....along with about 250 years worth of other "to die for" stuff acclaim.gif

Its just my opinion but I always thought that million dollar bounty he put out on a 9.4 Action #1 was more for the purpose of giving the hobby a shot in the arm with publicity more than actually thinking he could possibly fulfill that lofty goal.

very cool showcase -- I wasn't the Phantom Requester but thanks for posting!!!

so obvious that "The Superman" took even the typography from these. These really must have been a revelation amongst the pulps and mags they were buying.

Having never read "Bob Scully The Two-Fisted Hick Detective"

yay.gif27_laughing.gif

he seems a lot like SLam Bradley, no?

thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Brad

www.lastson.greendoorfilms.com

Having never read "Bob Scully The Two-Fisted Hick Detective"

yay.gif27_laughing.gif

he seems a lot like SLam Bradley, no?

Well, they are both detectives, but Bob Scully was a hick, and Slam Bradley was a lot more swank..........so if there were both around today:

Slam Bradley = James Bond

Bob Scully = Jeff Foxworthy with a "how to solve crimes" mannual