• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The superman

104 posts in this topic

One other bit of info that may be of interest to you regarding the 3 Humor books ( I have a healthy obsession with them...you know how that goes ). The OPG and all other references to Humor I have ever seen have called the publisher "Humor Publishing Co." when in fact their name is "Humor Publishing Corp." Christo_pull_hair.gif as seen in this jpeg of the bottom left corner of Detective Ace King. Additionally, only Ace King prints the Humor logo at all on any of the 3 covers.

1411129-PUBLISHINGCORP.jpg

1411129-PUBLISHINGCORP.jpg.02e41717148a6fda9af234d75ee703cf.jpg

There are addresses listed both for Chicago and NYC in the three Humor books. Jerry Siegel was very clear when said in the NEMO #2 interview back in the early 1980s that they met the Humor publisher in Cleveland when that fellow came down from Chicago back in early 1933.

I think Humor's publisher was Norman Marsh, based on unique circumstantial evidence, nothing concrete.

Detective Dan Secret Operative 48 comic book morphed into Dan Dunn Secret Op 48 as a newspaper comic strip beginning Oct 1933 - and even carried over the villain Wu Fang from the comic book.

Both were by Norman Marsh, who lived in Chicago

Once Marsh secured the newspaper strip deal, Humor ceased publication

Detective Dan may have been the book Siegel and Shuster were looking at when they created "The Superman" but DD was not the first book with a single character theme or even the first with all new material. Aside from the others cited here and elsewhere there is also Clancy the Cop from 1930, which for years was marked only in Overstreet with the easy-to-miss designation "not r" meaning not reprint, meaning all original material.

Detective Dan may have been the book Siegel and Shuster were looking at when they created "The Superman" but DD was not the first book with a single character theme or even the first with all new material. Aside from the others cited here and elsewhere there is also Clancy the Cop from 1930, which for years was marked only in Overstreet with the easy-to-miss designation "not r" meaning not reprint, meaning all original material.

Hi Bluechip,

you are correct, and i have mentioned here already (or maybe in Obadiah Oldbuck vs Superman thread, i forget)

Clancy the Cop by Victor Pazimino

which had two issues actually, #1 from 1930 and #2 from 1931

Deadwood Gulch #1 by Boody Rogers 1931

BUG MOVIES #1 by Skookie Allen

all four were published by Dell - and were left overs from THE FUNNIES which ran a few dozen issues beginning in late 1928 and running thru as late as Oct 1930 - and was all original material as well

THE FUNNIES was the first partnership between publisher George Delacorte and printer Eastern Color, the latter rmorphing into being a publisher

and as far as your last thought, "which for years was marked only in Overstreet with the easy-to-miss designation "not r" meaning not reprint, meaning all original material," i had already taken mental notes to expand the listings on the above comic books as well as expand the Modern Comics History mention of this little known aspect of the evolution of the American comic book.

Your further mention here galvanizes me to make it so

Hi Bluechip,

you are correct, and i have mentioned here already (or maybe in Obadiah Oldbuck vs Superman thread, i forget)

Clancy the Cop by Victor Pazimino

which had two issues actually, #1 from 1930 and #2 from 1931

Deadwood Gulch #1 by Boody Rogers 1931

BUG MOVIES #1 by Skookie Allen

all four were published by Dell - and were left overs from THE FUNNIES which ran a few dozen issues beginning in late 1928 and running thru as late as Oct 1930 - and was all original material as well

THE FUNNIES was the first partnership between publisher George Delacorte and printer Eastern Color, the latter rmorphing into being a publisher

and as far as your last thought, "which for years was marked only in Overstreet with the easy-to-miss designation "not r" meaning not reprint, meaning all original material," i had already taken mental notes to expand the listings on the above comic books as well as expand the Modern Comics History mention of this little known aspect of the evolution of the American comic book.

Your further mention here galvanizes me to make it so

Bob,

If/since this is correct, why is Detective Dan getting all the glory for this distinction?

Bob,

If/since this is correct, why is Detective Dan getting all the glory for this distinction?

Eeee-Zeee one here

The Humor comic books played a pivotal role in the invention of Superman, one of the most famous cultural icons invented by an American and a Canadian

The Dell books mentioned using left overs original material from THE FUNINIES never seemed to appear on Siegel and Shuster's creative juices radar

They are not the first original material comic books, but they are soooooo much more important than the previous original material

Then again, the Dell books from 1930-31 are 10x10 Cupples & Leon B&W format comic books, not recognized as being "real" comic books by some listers here, just like Obadiah Oldbuck is not a "real" comic book by the same crowd acclaim.gif

Bob,

Eeee-Zeee one here

The Humor comic books played a pivotal role in the invention of Superman, one of the most famous cultural icons invented by an American and a Canadian

The Dell books mentioned using left overs original material from THE FUNINIES never seemed to appear on Siegel and Shuster's creative juices radar

They are not the first original material comic books, but they are soooooo much more important than the previous original material

Then again, the Dell books from 1930-31 are 10x10 Cupples & Leon B&W format comic books, not recognized as being "real" comic books by some listers here, just like Obadiah Oldbuck is not a "real" comic book by the same crowd acclaim.gif

ahhh yes, the old "Clancy the Cop is really the 1st comic with original art, and 1st of a single theme, but that has nothing to do with Superman, so we will act as if Detective Dan Secret Operative No. 48 is 1st instead, since that book is directly tied in to Siegel and Shuster, and Siegel and Shuster are cool" trick.

ahhh yes, the old "Clancy the Cop is really the 1st comic with original art, and 1st of a single theme, but that has nothing to do with Superman, so we will act as if Detective Dan Secret Operative No. 48 is 1st instead, since that book is directly tied in to Siegel and Shuster, and Siegel and Shuster are cool" trick.

Never said Detective Dan was "first", though the Humor output is way more important, for without Detec Dan etc there may very well not have been a Superman, as Jerry Siegel said in the NEMO #2 interview back in 1983 it was the single most important concept which caused them to begin creating Superman

The "first" original material news stand comic book thing in the 20th century was THE FUNNIES #1 which was first issued in late 1928

and we all know Obadiah is "first" in America, albeit is not home grown USA created

That honor resides with Jeremiah Saddlebags 1849 - and you have a great copy of that one

Never said Detective Dan was "first", though the Humor output is way more important, for without Detec Dan etc there may very well not have been a Superman

The OPG lists Detetctive Dan as the 1st comic book with original art, and the 1st of a single theme. Aren't you by extension the OPG? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

well, maybe some one, every one, should read my comic history lessons more closely,

Back at the Timonium Ranch on Greenspring, they place the three Humor books in the main listing, the huge area following my two dinky little price index sections of Victorian and Platinum era comic books plus the BLB and promo price sections come before my sections

I have nothing to do with the areas of the price guide outside my direct control, and even then they have changed things to suit themselves on occasion. It is not my book

I will inform Mark Huesman that they need to change their larger section of the guide to accommodate reality

The reality being that Dell, owed by George Delecorte, published the first original news stand comic book zine THE FUNNIES beginning in late 1928, cover dated in Jan 1929, which went for a few dozen issues until Oct 1930

Furthermore, Dell issued the stand alone comic books CLANCY THE COP 1 2, DEADWOOD GULCH 1 and BUG MOOVIE 1, containing left overs from after THE FUNNIES ceased publication beginning some time in 1930 for CLANCY #1 and sometime in 1931 for the other three

As far as i know, these are original material comic books, pre-dating the three Humor books

In the pic description on page 405, i say ".....All issues Very Rare from the 2nd original news stand comic book publisher......"

I am not OPG, they give me space to clear the air for proper comics history

well, maybe some one, every one, should read my comic history lessons more closely

I am not OPG, they give me space to clear the air for proper comics history

Don't break bad with me Bob...you are not aware of what I'm capable of if I turn against you

i feel uncomfortable every time i see something in the rest of the book which goes against what i write in my sections of the Price Guide

I am clear on what i contribute to the Guide

If Timonium hired me, i would turn my attention to the rest of their book, as i instead spend most of my time buying and selling old comic books and related material; the research into the history is a hobby done in all my copious spare time

I say to read my comics history lessons all the time to a lot of people - most all the main points are scrupulously covered item by item.

This thread has pointed out to me that i cover THE FUNNIES 1929-1930 adequately, but do not point out specifically in the Modern Comic Book Origin story re the 4 books Dell publishes with stuff from THE FUNNIES re Clancy Deadwood Gulch and Bug Movies, all features which ran in THE FUNNIES

But i do point out THE FUNNIES as first original comic book magazines

and Humor as 2nd, in my articles

My rhetorical "read my articles" is aimed more so at Timonium

Ok Bob Beerbohm, then what it is a guy like me to do? I love the history of comics, and therefore collect historical firsts. I need a universally accepted reference guide that is historically accurate and virtually unquestioned. Does such a reference guide exist?

It is not realistic for me to do 30 years of my own research to come to these conclusions. I rely on historians such as yourself to uncover the past, and I collect based on those finding accordingly. I love Comic Monthly #1, as everything I have read, researched, and believed is that it is the 1st 10 cent monthly newsstand comic book. What if my beliefs are wrong, and I am lovin' the wrong book? How do I find the truth regarding what is, and what is not?

my humble reply, not to be misinterpreted by any one, please, is to read the comic book history articles including the pic visual aid descriptions i supply to the Overstreet PG

- there is no wrong data in those that i know of, though everything is not in those articles -

not enough room, obviously