• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade for B&B #93

34 posts in this topic

OK, let me first add that I thought this book was exactly what you all said (about a 9.2) when I got a few years back at the Motor City Con. Last year, when I finally decided to submit something to CGC, this had to be one. I thought "It's in great shape and I'd love to confirm it."

Months later, I got it back and talk about being bummed out. File0001.jpg[/img]

was there a lump of poo in the centerfold....that's a beautiful book...

8.0 insane.gif

No, no "poo". 27_laughing.gif

The thought of breaking it open has crossed my mind but my conscience get's the better of me. By doing so, I'd be part of the problem by letting it go to some other person unaware while I was. By leaving it encased, at least it's out in the open and no one else get's taken. With the restoration, I'd probably never be able to get out of it what I spent on it + CGC. Granted, it cost me around $40 when I got it. But I was thinking it was a NM copy also. I originally bought it because I had the Batman's Strangest Cases Treasury Edition as a kid and it's in it.

I guess I'll sleep better knowing that it's reached the "end of the line" and it's been identified for what it is. I still feel like I have to re-buy it just to get an "untainted" copy.

When a book looks really nice in a scan (8.5+), I start looking at the corners very carefully to try to decide where it might fit into the 9 range. What I can't see in a scan is whether a book that looks pristine has any indentations. I have a couple of really nice looking 8.5s that I assume graded that way because of small indentations I can locate tilting the slab to the light. I just concluded that CGC is particularly (and justifiably?) sensitive to such flaws.

for that book to get an 8.0, it's one of three things, listed in descending order of likelihood;

non-colour breaking indendations on the book, whether from impact or mishandling

something inside the book, like tears or writing

the colour touch itself is treated as the flaw, which drags the grade down.

before i saw the final grade, i had it at a borderline 9.0/9.2, leaning to the higher grade. there's a small crease in the LLBC and the UR and LR corners on the front are soft-ish.

if you still had the book raw, you could see if there was any marker bleed-thru on the FC, or tilt the book at an angle such that you can see a difference in the glare, using a magnifying glass to spot the actual CT.

sorry about that, though. believe me, i understand your pain