• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Re-holstering/re-holdering question

6 posts in this topic

I have a book that has the outside shell cracked across the width of the book, but the inner-well is still sealed/intact.

Is this book a candidate for the re-holstering process, or would it go through a complete re-grading?

Thanks in advance...

If the book and innerwell appear to be undamaged, and just the outershell is all thats cracked/damaged.. then it probably would just need a new outershell. No regrading, just reslabbing.

Until seeing it in person I doubt they could give you an answer though.

Ze-

If the book intself, and innerwell appear to be undamaged. And the outershell is all thats cracked/damaged.. then it probably would just need a new outershell. No regrading, just reslabbing.

Until seeing it in person I doubt they could give an answer though.

Ze-

I agree with what Ze-Man said. I would also add that if the book has an old label, and was slabbed about 5 or 6 years ago, then you should request that CGC replace the microchamber paper before reholdering. Otherwise, they'll just take the inner well and place it in a new slab. I don't think there is additional charge for replacing the microchamber paper.

If the book intself, and innerwell appear to be undamaged. And the outershell is all thats cracked/damaged.. then it probably would just need a new outershell. No regrading, just reslabbing.

Ze-

I agree with what Ze-Man said. I would also add that if the book has an old label, and was slabbed about 5 or 6 years ago, then you should request that CGC replace the microchamber paper before reholdering. Otherwise, they'll just take the inner well and place it in a new slab. I don't think there is additional charge for replacing the microchamber paper.

If it was graded 6 years ago perhaps he SHOULD have it regraded! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Good question you bring up though. Is it the same cost to reholder a book if you only want to replace the outershell? Or do they price it based on a flat reslab fee, Outershell, innerwell, micropaper .

Ze-

Here's a reply from Gemma to my question from about 2 years ago:

Does the reholdering process include replacing the micro-chamber paper?

"This is determined on a case-by-case basis. For example if the case was damaged such that the inner well would have to be replaced, then the micro-chamber paper would also be replaced. Also, if the book had been graded much earlier then it is likely we would change the micro-chamber during the New Holder process.

Thank you for your interest,"

Ze-

For unknown reasons, this response got thinking about the 7 year mark for CGC holders. If I remember right CGC graded comics have a shelf life of 7 years and should be resumitted for a new holder. I could be wrong!!

Is anyone going to be sending in their old CGC slabs (example; red labels) to be reholdered or reslabbed next year? (Year 7)