• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you grade a 9.6 book with a 1/8" to 1/4" tear....

16 posts in this topic

I had a Godzilla #1 that appeared to be 9.0-9.2 with a tear on the top edge of the FC that was as clean as could be and about 1/4 inch. It came back as an 8.0 with OW pages. If the book is truly a 9.6 it might make it to 8.5 IMHO since the tear is on the BC.

Tear seal it and then you've got a beautiful Slight P 9.6......

Actually, VF+ is probabaly as high as I'd go...but then again, if it was a beautiful GA book I wanted, I might pay higher than the VF+ price.

Tear seal it and then you've got a beautiful Slight P 9.6......

Actually, VF+ is probabaly as high as I'd go...but then again, if it was a beautiful GA book I wanted, I might pay higher than the VF+ price.

Excellent point... if this is a modern, 8.0/8.5 is as high as I'd go. If this is a book from the 1940s-mid 1960s, you could get to 9.0.

Shep

On the middle of the open end of the back cover?

Roy.

If the book is truly a 9.6 otherwise and if the tear is very clean and on the back cover, I think you might get a 9.2 out of it. I owned a Spidey #86 like that, except that the tear was on the bottom edge of the back cover. It was a 9.6 if not for the tear. CGC gave it a 9.2. The tear was about 3/16 of an inch, which is smack dab in the middle of the range you're talking about.

If not 9.2, then 9.0 definitely.

I owned a stunning J.I.M. #118 CGC 9.4 that was a solid 9.6 but for a 1/8 inch interior page tear. My guess is that it would have been downgraded to a 9.2 if the tear had been on the back cover, and a 9.0 if it had been on the front.

IMO ...it dependes on the size of the tear and the age of the book...on a SA to early BA book I would guestimate:

1/16" tear = 9.2 max.

1/8" tear = 9.0 max.

1/4" tear = 8.5 max.

This is how I would grade an otherwise 9.6ish book...

A truely NM+ book with that small a tear on the back cover - I'd call it a 9.0.

I agree with that, but the tear would have to be clean and neat, almost as if done by a razor. I submitted a run of X-Men from issue 110 to 143 that all came back 9.6-9.8 with white pages, except for the 121, which unnoticed by me, had a 3/8" tear on the bottom middle edge of the back cover- clean and almost unnoticable. The book graded at 9.0. confused-smiley-013.gif

If it's this one (see the attatched scan) it's their best yet. LOTS of quality full color shots of various Golden and Silver age books that they use as templates, pointing out defects, tears and other subtractions in each of the grades, from a 10.0 Gem Mint down to a 1.0 Fair comic with examples galore in between. It's a heavy, quality book that should be on every comic collectors desk. I picked mine up at the local Borders but probably the best deal on this book and many other books is here: www.alibris.com I see this book on here for as low as $14.30. Just thumbing through the pages (the drool factor is HIGH here!) and looking at all of the gorgeous examples of old and older comics they use is a real treat for lovers of comic books. There's probably several in here you've never seen. There's also some good articles having to do with restoration, the history of comic grading, along with the ads that appear in the front of their Guide from the major comic dealers from around the country, it's the same kind of format. Excellent ALL-COLOR photography, this one's worth every penny!! FWIW Chuck

1420503-overstreet1.jpg.45db0c3060223392cf4050f44ff322e0.jpg