• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paratrooper covers RUN

1,682 posts in this topic

Pilot ejecting ??? This may not qualify, as his chute has not yet deployed. I guess there's no rush when you jump from eight miles up!

MGA004-2.jpg

Very nice, Mr Zzutak. That's not an easy book to find looking that nice.

For you OA fans, here's some Sad Sack:

Funny pages, 'trooper! lol

Thank you, Mr. Strange. It was a serendipitous find, to be sure. Part of a set of early MGA issues that was advertised by Sotheby's as a mid-grade lot -- but only because it contained roughly equal numbers of VG and VF/NM issues. I may have been the sole bidder -- the title was no more popular then than it is now. Hah!

Thanks for the heads up Jeffro. That US Paratroops is actually the IW reprint of the original. I don't have the reprint yet, but I'll save that for later when it pops up in a single auction in HG. My list is getting smaller and smaller, most of the book I need are pretty much the High $ ones. Keep on a lookout, the ones in my sigline..those I have never seen for sale as of yet.

And did you see Metro's new books they posted? They have a 2.0 copy of GI Combat #9...good thing I have two of them now.

And did you see Metro's new books they posted? They have a 2.0 copy of GI Combat #9...good thing I have two of them now.

lol That's so weird. Weren't you looking for one for quite a while and now they all start popping up?

Ya, weird how that happens. I was looking for that book constantly for a year and suddenly you found one on ebay for me, not too long after I found another one on ebay. So I bought both. A month later I see that one on Metro, I'm banned from Metro so if I didn't have two copies of that book I'd be extremely peed off. I'm curious to see how they price it.

Ya, weird how that happens. I was looking for that book constantly for a year and suddenly you found one on ebay for me, not too long after I found another one on ebay. So I bought both. A month later I see that one on Metro, I'm banned from Metro so if I didn't have two copies of that book I'd be extremely peed off. I'm curious to see how they price it.

and remember, I saw one in Chicago I was going to get for you, till you told me you had just scored 2!

gator

and remember, I saw one in Chicago I was going to get for you, till you told me you had just scored 2!

gator

Ya, I appreciate you looking for that book for me! I wish I could attend more Con's, but my work schedule prevents that. Hopefully someday I'll be stationed with a job that has more free time. But, I used most of my leave dates this year by going to Antarctica.

Wings Comics #95 (Hot chicks with parachutes on, getting out of a downed plane in a skirt while firing a tommy gun at the enemy....man, where can I meet women like that?)

Ask Louella!

Nice of her to provide all that additional info on the cover. It'll come in handy if you slab it.

Jack

WingsComics95.jpg

Hey 'Trooper,

Silly question, but we love trivia around here so I thought it might be fun.

Which GA cover has the most paratroopers on it? (Counting tiny troopers off in the distance, as well as big ones in the foreground.)

My guess for the winner would be one of the super-busy Schomburg covers, but not sure which one offhand. Any thoughts, folks?

I have the picture in my head, but damn if I can remember. I know it's a cover that's conducting a mass attack (3 or more planes dropping troopers off at the same time). Photobucket is blocked at work, I'll check it out when I get home.

I do know that so far that Wings Comics has the most books in a series with trooper covers. And that 1942 produced the most books with trooper covers on them (32 that I have identified). 1941 & 1943 both years only had 25 books produced with trooper covers (that I've so far ID'd).

Funny thing is, I had this book for awhile. Only until recently did I notice that this cover had a pilot with a parachute on him. Since it didn't sell (actually nothing did) I added this book to my trooper collection. Loose though it may be I still like the cover.

G.I. Combat #85

GICombat85.jpg