• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you do with your CGC comics?

44 posts in this topic

I just decided to order some CGC boxes. My collection is getting out of control now.

How many books are you up to Matt?

Approx 18 i think. Thing is that i bought my first 3 slabs when CGC first started up about 6 years ago, before this place even existed. I then went years without buying any, stumble onto these boards and i've bought another 15 or so in 9 months. At this rate ... god i don't want to think about it! 27_laughing.gif

I crack mine open too!! I like CGC for it's grading service, not for the way the comics are packaged. The slabs, for me, are cumbersome and clunky, and there's waaaaay too much emphasis placed on the label. So, I break mine open, carefully read the comic, then put it in a mylite, which then gets laid on a pairr of white-core backing boards, which are then slipped into a 4-mil mylar sleeve. Unbelievable protection.

I store these in Magazine size boxes... and they'll last forever.

As for all those cracked open slabs?? I actually do use them for cutting boards when I'm building models and stuff.... great paint pallettes too. No s h i t.

Shep

I crack mine open too!! I like CGC for it's grading service, not for the way the comics are packaged. The slabs, for me, are cumbersome and clunky, and there's waaaaay too much emphasis placed on the label. So, I break mine open, carefully read the comic, then put it in a mylite, which then gets laid on a pairr of white-core backing boards, which are then slipped into a 4-mil mylar sleeve. Unbelievable protection.

I store these in Magazine size boxes... and they'll last forever.

As for all those cracked open slabs?? I actually do use them for cutting boards when I'm building models and stuff.... great paint pallettes too. No s h i t.

Shep

I agree. I think books look much better in a mylar and fullback unless their really high grade 9.6 material. If their not the slab leaves the book looking "exposed" and you tend to concentrate on the defects of the book.

I just decided to order some CGC boxes. My collection is getting out of control now.

How many books are you up to Matt?

Approx 18 i think. Thing is that i bought my first 3 slabs when CGC first started up about 6 years ago, before this place even existed. I then went years without buying any, stumble onto these boards and i've bought another 15 or so in 9 months. At this rate ... god i don't want to think about it! 27_laughing.gif

Well, since I've got back into collecting, rather than dealing, I've managed to amass 355 in 12 months. crazy.gif

I have calculated that, by the summer of 2008, I'll have to move into Woburn Abbey...

A slab makes a great cutting board whenever I am dicing up tomatoes to make some salsa. Or, they make a nice serving tray if you want to treat your wife or significant other to breakfast in bed. wink.gif

Scott

I posted these over 2 years ago on a boring, cabin fever kinda winter day. insane.gif

Gotta love those old labels!

Other uses for your slabs.

The afore mentioned Cutting Board

CGCcuttingboard.jpg

They make great hotpads

CGChotplate.jpg

You can level your washing machine or dryer.

CGCfloorleveler.jpg

Makes a fairly slippery doormant.(not recommended)

CGcdoormat.jpg

Keep the water from your dog's water bowl off the floor.

CGcdogdish.jpg

Makes for a terible bathmat as well, way too slippery.

CGCbathmat-1.jpg

Kenny, has anyone ever told you that you are nuts?? That is some funny stuff man! Remind me never to go to a snowbound, scary hotel in Colorado where you plan to work a novel, with you. Too much!

893applaud-thumb.gif

Scott

Have you guys tried stacking those boxes for slabs? Could they be stacked, say, 6 or 7 boxes on top of each other without crushing the boxes at the bottom?

I've stacked mine 2-3 high short term (weeks) with no problems. I don't know about 6-7. That gets pretty high. These boxes are considerably higher than normal comic boxes.

I stack my DrawerBoxes 6 high but with 1/2" MDF after 3 levels.

Have you guys tried stacking those boxes for slabs? Could they be stacked, say, 6 or 7 boxes on top of each other without crushing the boxes at the bottom?

I would worry more about them tipping over then being crushed. I would think the rigid slabs inside the box would prevent it from being crushed too badly.

But I do not have 6 LB's worth to give it a try.

Somebody fetch me 6 LB's of slabs.

27_laughing.gif

Ze-

I've stacked as many as 3 high (alternate for stability) with no problems short term. Realistically, 2 is probably the highest I would go...I'd like to get a storage system for these things (specifically designed not the Home Depot special) but no one has come to market yet.

I crack open the accurately graded ones, throw away the slabs, then integrate them into my permanent collection. yay.gif

The sour-milk paged, corner creased 8.5 - 9.4's I resell to some other collector who isn't so fussy.sorry.gif

I've stacked as many as 3 high (alternate for stability) with no problems short term. Realistically, 2 is probably the highest I would go...I'd like to get a storage system for these things (specifically designed not the Home Depot special) but no one has come to market yet.

I have 15 long boxes of CGC graded books, and have them stacked in 3 rows and 5 high. I haven't any problems other than trying to get to my X-Men books which are located all the way at the bottom. makepoint.gif

I have 15 long boxes of CGC graded books, and have them stacked in 3 rows and 5 high. I haven't any problems other than trying to get to my X-Men books which are located all the way at the bottom. makepoint.gif

893whatthe.gif Thats a whole lotta CGCs..

Something along the lines of a 'CD Tower' would be pretty cool. Unfortunately, I work with wood not plastic....and the thing would most likely have to be built in place due to the weight.

I suppose I could come up with some kind of pre-fab assembly.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif